Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 13 5th Generation Setup 9343 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

The initial setup completes fine and I am able to complete the profile creation wizard. However, after my first reboot, I am stuck after entering my account password. All I see is the spinning wheel. Tried safe mode but no luck. I tried installing a single kext or all kexts right after the profile creation wizard, but no matter what I try, I am unable to sign in after the first reboot. Has anyone encountered this before?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Spent uncountable minutes trying to fix the random freeze issue on my 9343 not knowing safari was the actual culprit. Thanks Lobpuri for your instructions!!
Now that I got my Dell XPS 9343 up and running quite smooth but not 100% by any mean. I see that a lot of people having a difficult time to get it up an running so I just want to share my experience.

First of all I would like to thanks Rehabman for his GUIDE and Frizinko for his EFI folder.

Here are steps that I took:
I didn't have to modified DVMT at all my XPS came with Windows 8.1 and I check Dedicated Video Memory and it is 0 MB.
When I installed Windows 10 Preview on it the Dedicated Video Memory shown up at 128 MB so that's why I didn't do anything with DVMT.

1. I download the Frizinko's EFI folder from here http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-graphics-5500-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3-a-6.html

2. I setup USB installation using Rehabman here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

3. After USB is ready to be use to install Yosemite to the HDD I delete the EFI folder in the USB and replace it with Frizinko's EFI folder. This very imported you need to edit Frizinko's "config.plist" make sure "Graphics""Inject""Intel" is "FALSE" if it's "true" the screen will go black.

4 I follow Rehabman's guide until it finished install files on the HHD I install Clover to HDD this time I also selected "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi", "Install RC scripts on target volume" and "Install Clover Preference Pane".

5 Again I deleted EFI folder that Clover just installed to HDD and replaced with EFI folder in the USB then I reboot the system without USB just to make sure that it will boot fine.

6. after it boot back up without USB then I install wifi kext first make sure that I have an internet access before I continue. Without the internet access the IOKit patch won't work.

6.1 Open Terminal and do the IOKit patch with these commands:

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

Then I used Clover Configurator(You can use command for that) to mount EFI folder and edit "config.plist" "Graphics""Inject""Intel" to "True". Reboot the system

7. Now my system should boot up with full graphics.

8. Now I install bcm4352.kext for wifi, BrcmPatchRAM.kext for Bluetooth, VoodooHDA.kext for sound, ACPIBatteryManager.kext for battery status and AppleIntelBDWGrphicsFrambuffer.kext for graphics.

DONE

That's I did with my XPS like I said this is not 100$ working system it's still a lot of work to do and fix.

Here are some problems that I encounter.
Sounds: works most of the time but some time after reboot I lost the sound have to reboot again.
Sleep: works but some time it doesn't go to deep sleep and if I closed the lid the screen will stay black and I have to shut it down.
Webcam: the system recognized it but none of the apps recognized they all said I don't have a camera.
Graphics: I can't use Safari after I open it for a few minutes the screen goes crazy I have to reboot to fix it so I have to use Chrome instead.
I'm sure it will be some other problems that I don't know but other than that it's running very smooth all day. I would say it's about 80% stable and fast.

That's all I can tell you so please don't ask me about technical questions I am a noob and new to Hackintosh. Just want to share my experience that's all.

Thanks,
Lopburi

Spent uncountable minutes trying to fix the random freeze issue on my 9343 not knowing safari was the actual culprit. Thanks Lobpuri for your instructions!!

I have no freezing issue in Safari, works perfectly. Try disabling "Generate C States" in the bios.

Now that I'm sure I have a working Hackintosh, let me start afresh and see how disabling "Generate C States" works for me.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I have no freezing issue in Safari, works perfectly. Try disabling "Generate C States" in the bios.

Update. I enabled USB 3.0 support in BIOS, and disabled Intel Virtualization Technology.

Now both Bluetooth and the Webcam are working, tested in Skype too.

I only need the card reader for hardware, and fix the occasional freeze.

My CLOVER folder is still the same as the previous post, I only changed settings in BIOS.

View attachment 140263

I seem to have all of the same bios settings as you, but my Webcam is listed as being manufactured by Sonix Technology Co and has no serial number listed. Is there any way to make it work?

Also, I can use two finger scroll, but cannot use other gestures like just tapping my trackpad. Does anyone know a kext or other fix that works reliably?

Also, I can use two finger scroll, but cannot use other gestures like just tapping my trackpad. Does anyone know a kext or other fix that works reliably?

Which trackpad is in your laptop?

Have you looked at SysPrefs->Trackpad?

I seem to have all of the same bios settings as you, but my Webcam is listed as being manufactured by Sonix Technology Co and has no serial number listed. Is there any way to make it work?

On Tapping do as Rehabman recommended go to SysPrefs > Trackpad and check "Clicking". I have the same Webcam I search everywhere for the solution to make it works but I've found nothing. It's a shame the system recognized it but none of the apps could see it.

On Tapping do as Rehabman recommended go to SysPrefs > Trackpad and check "Clicking". I have the same Webcam I search everywhere for the solution to make it works but I've found nothing. It's a shame the system recognized it but none of the apps could see it.

Trackpad fixed, I had failed to check the correct box. The webcam is driving me crazy. There used to be an app by Netkas called CameraControl which might have been helpful, but the file has been taken down.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Hey, I have exactly the same issue as him... :beachball:

System: Dell XPS 13 (2015) 9343 (Clover)
CPU: i7-5500U/don't yet have windows to check chipset
Graphics: HD5500, (3200x1800 Touch)
RAM: 8gb
SSD: 256gb

So here is what I did,

I followed the guide on page 10 and I was able to do everything up until I installed Clover with additional options mentioned in the guide and it created EFI partition. In that EFI partition I deleted the EFI folder and replaced it with the one from USB. I didn't install any extra kexts yet then as it said in the guide I rebooted my computer without the USB and booted from Clover on my SSD. OS X Booted and then I had to input the password and after doing that it just gets stuck on account/profile loading screen.

EDIT: 30 minutes after on the loading screen it actually booted from Clover USB, but it took a pretty long time... I'll try to install clover no SSD again and then replace CLOVER folder from someone else who posted it in here earlier

EDIT 2: Tried booting from SSD after replacing CLOVER folder, it got stuck within lines concerning GPU, I then disabled Intel injection and now I'm again stuck at the booting screen. I attached the Clover folder in .zip View attachment CLOVER.zip . I also want to mention how slow/laggy the system is, but I'm thinking it's because I haven't configured the graphic driver yet but still.

Argh I need some help with it, spent the entire day working with it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back