Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 13 5th Generation Setup 9343 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, I am able boot from the USB to Clover without issue on my desktop machine. So I'm becoming convinced there is some BIOS setting that is conflicting on the laptop. Does this sound reasonable?

In the past attempts, MBR choice resulted in a partition table boot error. Not sure what to do.

Pilot error. Try again.

I got a new Dell XPS 13 9343 Developer Edition with Ubuntu 14 and have it installed 10.10.4 with Clover USB installer.

I did not change the DVMT setting in BIOS and just applied the AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer patch. The graphics card is detected and working but get freeze often. Wifi is working too. The most troubling part is with bluetooth. I figure that may be caused by USB port does not detect any USB2 device. (A USB3 stick works but a USB2 one not). Here is some BrcmPatcheRAM related messages from system.log:

Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac.local com.apple.kextd[22]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Version 1.7 starting on OS X Darwin 14.4.
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Retrieved firmware for firmware key "BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1443.1572_v5668".
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Decompressed firmware (29703 bytes --> 70012 bytes).
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Firmware is valid IntelHex firmware.
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0a5c:216f]: USB [C48E8FF687BC v274] "BCM20702A0" by "Broadcom Corp"
Jul 12 22:44:36 ymac.local com.apple.kextd[22]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 12 22:44:37 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0a5c:216f]: Firmware upgrade completed successfully.
Jul 12 22:44:37 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0a5c:216f]: Published new IOKit personality.
Jul 12 22:44:37 ymac kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Processing time 0.512 seconds.
Jul 12 22:44:39 ymac.local com.apple.kextcache[19518]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 12 22:52:41 ymac.local com.apple.kextcache[19207]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 12 23:35:58 ymac.local com.apple.kextcache[362]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 13 21:39:03 ymac.local com.apple.kextcache[376]: kext com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM 107009000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 13 22:54:08 ymac.local com.apple.kextcache[19376]: kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM.kext

I have no clue on why the firmware was loaded once, BrcmPatcheRAM seems not get started for other runs.

On the BIOS side, legacy boot mode is enabled, secure boot disabled, tried both USB 3 enabled and disabled (seems no difference), VT disabled. Any other setting need to try?

RehabMan: I am using your fork of the BrcmPatcheRAM kext. Maybe you have seen this before?

Also two questions for RehabMan: I am also using your VoodooPS2Controller. Does it support tap to click? Seems there is a fork of your VoodooPS2Controller to support Cypress PS2 touchpad (https://code.google.com/p/voodoops2controllercypress/), but I could not download it at the pointed URL. Did you include the change made there?

Also DPCIManager has a function to extract DSDT. Can we use this extracted DSDT the same like the one extracted from Ubuntu?

...I have no clue on why the firmware was loaded once, BrcmPatcheRAM seems not get started for other runs.

BrcmPatchRAM only loads firmware when the device has no firmware already on it. This means: on cold boot, and wake from sleep. Any restart from a "firmware loaded" state results in using the firmware already resident.

Also two questions for RehabMan: I am also using your VoodooPS2Controller. Does it support tap to click? Seems there is a fork of your VoodooPS2Controller to support Cypress PS2 touchpad (https://code.google.com/p/voodoops2controllercypress/), but I could not download it at the pointed URL. Did you include the change made there?

I do not maintain a Cypress version. Tap to click is supported on Synaptics if enabled in SysPrefs->Trackpad.

Also DPCIManager has a function to extract DSDT. Can we use this extracted DSDT the same like the one extracted from Ubuntu?

DSDT patching: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

BrcmPatchRAM only loads firmware when the device has no firmware already on it. This means: on cold boot, and wake from sleep. Any restart from a "firmware loaded" state results in using the firmware already resident.

I did every boot after shutdown. There is no Windows or Linux installed on the machine.

Tap to click is supported on Synaptics if enabled in SysPrefs->Trackpad.

Found it. Thanks

Also what would be the likely cause of USB2 device not working? Should I install your GenericUSBXHCI kext from last October?

I did every boot after shutdown. There is no Windows or Linux installed on the machine.

Check to see if the device is on the USB bus.

Also what would be the likely cause of USB2 device not working? Should I install your GenericUSBXHCI kext from last October?

GenericUSBXHCI.kext should be avoided.

Try with FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext.

Also, try config.plist/Devices/USB/FixOwnership=true.

Check to see if the device is on the USB bus.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext should be avoided.

Try with FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext.

Also, try config.plist/Devices/USB/FixOwnership=true.

Tried both, no luck with USB 2.

For those who had USB 2 and bluetooth working, would you share your BIOS configuration, config.plist and any kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back