Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 13 5th Generation Setup 9343 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello RehabMan and thank you for the reply. I'm still having difficulty getting the Yosemite installer to even load on this machine. I've taken the time to photograph all of the BIOS settings that should be pertinent according to what you've said here as well as in your guide. I'll attach these photos so you can see what the options are and what is currently chosen. Other than those shown here, all other BIOS settings are defaults (I chose to set all the default using that option, then going in to make these noted changes). Hopefully we can get this squared away and then progress to what the appropriate channels to choose from your excellent guide as to creating the USB. It's my intention to create a comprehensive guide for this laptop once we can get it up and running. Thanks again for your assistance!

It is plain to see from your first image that you don't have UEFI enabled.

It is plain to see from your first image that you don't have UEFI enabled.

Excellent point. I have made that change now as shown below. All other earlier photos settings have remained. Additionally, attached here is the boot error message.

IMG_0562.jpgIMG_0560.jpgIMG_0559.jpg

Excellent point. I have made that change now as shown below. All other earlier photos settings have remained. Additionally, attached here is the boot error message.

View attachment 143948View attachment 143947View attachment 143946

You need to configure it so it lists your USB with Clover on it (as UEFI).

Also, make sure you made the USB correctly. There are also two separate options for the USB:
- MBR with two partitions (one with Clover, one with Yosemite installer)
- GPT with one partition (Clover is on hidden EFI partition, other with Yosemite installer)

You need to configure it so it lists your USB with Clover on it (as UEFI).

Also, make sure you made the USB correctly. There are also two separate options for the USB:
- MBR with two partitions (one with Clover, one with Yosemite installer)
- GPT with one partition (Clover is on hidden EFI partition, other with Yosemite installer)

Yes, with the USB inserted at boot, the option to choose to boot from it is there:

IMG_0563.jpg

...resulting in the same boot error.

I have tried all (I think) combinations when making the USB. The current build took the route of GPT, FAT and here is my EFI.

View attachment EFI.zip

Yes, with the USB inserted at boot, the option to choose to boot from it is there:

View attachment 143951

...resulting in the same boot error.

I have tried all (I think) combinations when making the USB. The current build took the route of GPT, FAT and here is my EFI.

View attachment 143952

What do you mean by "route of GPT, FAT"?

I chose GUID Partition Table for the single partition and chose MS-DOS (FAT) in the partition information portion of disk utility.

That is not one of the two options. With GPT, create only a single partition HFS+ for install_osx. Clover goes to hidden EFI partition.

That is not one of the two options. With GPT, create only a single partition HFS+ for install_osx. Clover goes to hidden EFI partition.

Okay, I wasn't clear on that from the guide. Remaking the USB now. Was there anything glaringly wrong with my EFI that I attached earlier? This USB build will result with that same EFI. Thanks for your continued help!

Okay, I wasn't clear on that from the guide. Remaking the USB now. Was there anything glaringly wrong with my EFI that I attached earlier? This USB build will result with that same EFI. Thanks for your continued help!

Also, I think most find success with MBR (two partitions).

Also, I think most find success with MBR (two partitions).

Ugh, still no luck with GPT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)....HFS+ (single partition)

I know I've tried the two partition option in the guide previously, that's why I am wondering if the BIOS and the settings I have are somehow preventing the laptop to boot from the USB.

I'll remake the USB again to the to partition option and wait to hear from you again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back