Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

Sorry it's confusing. I could just put a dummy SmUUID in the config.plist. The problem with that is some people will leave it "as is" post install. Then there would be multiple hacks connected to the internet with the exact same ID. Not a good idea to have multiple machines with the same Universally Unique ID
It's all good. I am confessing to being humbled :). I need to read and learn!
New question, to me, the guide seems to be saying I need to install Catalina, and upgrade to Big Sur and/or Monterey. Is that only for a certain path (ie those without macs/hackintoshs)?
Second question, I don't recall seeing anything about master-disable, nor turning off hibernation; save space, etc. Does that still apply to this guide?

the guide seems to be saying I need to install Catalina, and upgrade to Big Sur and/or Monterey. Is that only for a certain path (ie those without macs/hackintoshs)?
If you have a Mac or Hackinosh there's no need to install Catalina first. It's only for those using Windows or Linux to make the USB installer.
Second question, I don't recall seeing anything about master-disable, nor turning off hibernation; save space, etc. Does that still apply to this guide?
You can certainly do those things. If your SSD has plenty of room like 512 GB or 1TB then there's no reason to disable hibernation if you don't want to.

If you have a Mac or Hackinosh there's no need to install Catalina first. It's only for those using Windows or Linux to make the USB installer.

You can certainly do those things. If your SSD has plenty of room like 512 GB or 1TB then there's no reason to disable hibernation if you don't want to.
Well, I made it. Monterey installed, and updated too. Really appreciate all the work @trs96 puts into these guides. In this case I think I thought "I know what to do" and instead I really needed to focus and pay attention. Went smoothly and I'm happy with the results. Thanks.

Thanks for the great guide and many hours to help others!

I have Monterey running on my Dell MT using the integrated HD4600. I am logged into iCould and most things are working great. I have a few problems though and not sure where to start:

1) I have a LG 27GL83 monitor (1440p), which for some reason isn't being picked up by the machine anymore:
  • I used the LG for a long time with Catalina w/ Clover.
  • The LG worked when setting up Monterey w/ OC. But after a few reboots, it now stays black/ no signal and goes to sleep without showing the Dell BIOS or start up.
  • The LG gets a signal after I connect a second monitor via DP (Dell 24") and log into a user account in Monterey. However, the Dell is a work monitor and I can't use it always.
  • I tried different DP ports.
  • I tried a DP to HDMI cable.
  • I tried different DP cables (bought a second high-quality brand new DP cable to try).
  • I have Intel ME enabled/ unlocked, with password set, and CFG Lock and increased DVMT pre-allocation to 64MB successfully.
  • Not sure what went wrong after using it in the beginning with Monterey w/ OC or what to do next?
2) 2a) When connecting my iPhone via usb, the machine locks up/ crashes when
  • importing more than ~8 fotos at a time (doing a small number works, but then I run into the next point);
  • or the Photo app start processing analytics/ analyzing the library (fans start whirring) when there are 30+ photos.
2b) I also get a "you shutdown your computer because of a problem" error every time I restart and log on:
  • I cleared NVRAM (via OC menu).
  • I cleared the *wake and *sleep logs via terminal:
    • sudo cd /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
    • sudo rm ./wake*
    • sudo rm ./shutdown_stall*
  • It works maybe once or twice with restarts and then the error is back.
3) I have a Nitro RX 580 that want to use again (I used it with Catalina w/ Clover) to improve performance. From the guide I couldn't figure out how to change the EFI/OC config to switch from the iGPU HD4600 to the RX 580. Any pointers or reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly

I have a LG 27GL83 monitor
I've never used one of these high refresh rate gaming monitors with the Optiplex 9020. I've only got monitors that max out at 60Hz. This is the first time I've seen a report of problems with the OptiMac and one of these LG gaming monitors. It could possibly have something to do with the higher refresh rates or with macOS Monterey adjusting to a 1440p resolution.

When you go into System Prefs/Displays what do you see for the options under the Scaled tab ?

• I used the LG for a long time with Catalina w/ Clover.
  • The LG worked when setting up Monterey w/ OC.
Did you remember to reset the NVRAM before installing Monterey ?
How did you transition from Clover to OC ? Was the Monterey install a clean install or not.
Post your EFI folder here as an attachment, with the serials and SmUUID removed and I'll look at it.

Last edited:
I have a surprise problem that I need some help with. I reported a nicely working USFF on Monterey. However, I just just moved over a working half-size mini-pcie WiFi+BT AW CB160H, which was working fine in my 9010 USFF under Mojave+Clover. As it is a supported/native card, I was fully expecting it to "just work". The USFF boots with this message (screenshot from iphone, sorry) and when I select the macOS from OC boot menu, it crashes. I will turn full diag back on later this morning, but I thought I'd get the jump on and see if anyone has ideas? Could it be a missing USB definition? Do I need to clear the NVRAM? (not sure how to enable that in OC but I will look it up), Is it okay do just clear NVRAM at any time? Is it something else entirely?
9020USFFboot.jpg

I have a surprise problem that I need some help with. I reported a nicely working USFF on Monterey. However, I just just moved over a working half-size mini-pcie WiFi+BT AW CB160H
Those Azurewave cards don't have native support in Monterey. Chris1111 may have a solution on his Github, I've never used that card though.

Those Azurewave cards don't have native support in Monterey. Chris1111 may have a solution on his Github, I've never used that card though.
Bummer. I've tried to look for a supported list for Monterey. Is there one? mini-pcie of course I am familiar with the MT and SFF PCIe list.
UPDATE: seems the BCM943602CS is available, and I'll need an adapter to mini-pcie. I'll give that a go.

Last edited:
I have a surprise problem that I need some help with. I reported a nicely working USFF on Monterey. However, I just just moved over a working half-size mini-pcie WiFi+BT AW CB160H, which was working fine in my 9010 USFF under Mojave+Clover. As it is a supported/native card, I was fully expecting it to "just work". The USFF boots with this message (screenshot from iphone, sorry) and when I select the macOS from OC boot menu, it crashes. I will turn full diag back on later this morning, but I thought I'd get the jump on and see if anyone has ideas? Could it be a missing USB definition? Do I need to clear the NVRAM? (not sure how to enable that in OC but I will look it up), Is it okay do just clear NVRAM at any time? Is it something else entirely?
View attachment 556316
The boot messages are still coming up, even after removing the Azurewave card, so maybe they were always there?
Anyone have an idea what those are? Is it an issue?

Back