Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

I'm not sure about swapping it with a used one though, maybe to update the PSU with a bigger specs one might be the solution?
The one I linked is new, not used or refurbished. Should be worth a try as you will have 30 day return rights and Ebay customer protection. I don't think a higher wattage version would make a difference. Not sure there is one you can buy in this same form factor. When you consider the low price of the 9020 SFF, it's not a major expense to have a replacement PSU on hand if you ever need one. Especially if you have one dedicated to Windows 10 and one to macOS.

Last edited:
Thanks will definitely get one. Since I layed the Optiplex on it side, it seems the noise is gone, I'm assuming it had to do with some weight on the PSU metal when the computer is vertical (as the PSU is at the bottom). I'm going to get another one soon for Windows + Linux.
I was also considering maybe with the second one, transplant the whole computer into a new case.

I was also considering maybe with the second one, transplant the whole computer into a new case.
If you want to do that it's best to go with the MT which has a mATX form factor motherboard. You can also then use the Harbin Repairs adapters so that the front I/O all works too.

The one I linked is new, not used or refurbished. Should be worth a try as you will have 30 day return rights and Ebay customer protection. I don't think a higher wattage version would make a difference. Not sure there is one you can buy in this same form factor. When you consider the low price of the 9020 SFF, it's not a major expense to have a replacement PSU on hand if you ever need one. Especially if you have one dedicated to Windows 10 and one to macOS.

Seems that WX 2100 seller "wazno" now lists only used WX 2100 on both Amazon and eBay (AFAICT), but it's still likely a pretty good choice.
I'm back after a long break to refresh my OptiMacs, and looked at the WX 2100 versus the NVS 510, of which I have several. The WX 2100 is about three times as fast as the NVS, running at 50W versus the NVS 510's 35W, fyi. The NVS is speedy enough for me, and lower power comsumption is a plus.

WX 2100 seller "wazno" now lists only used WX 2100 on both Amazon and eBay
I was referring to the SFF power supply in that reply to @Popwell

If you read my complete reply it says: "it's not a major expense to have a replacement PSU on hand if you ever need one."

looked at the WX 2100 versus the NVS 510, of which I have several. The WX 2100 is about three times as fast as the NVS, running at 50W versus the NVS 510's 35W
What was the cost of the NVS 510 ? The main advantage of the WX 2100 is that you can use it with Monterey and beyond with just a simple Device ID spoof. No Nvidia patching required. Every update of Monterey is 12GB+ if using an Nvidia Kepler card with Monterey. The delta updates won't work with a broken SSV.

Last edited:
What was the cost of the NVS 510 ? The main advantage of the WX 2100 is that you can use it with Monterey and beyond with just a simple Device ID spoof. No Nvidia patching required. Every update of Monterey is 12GB+ if using an Nvidia Kepler card with Monterey. The delta updates won't work with a broken SSV.

The NVS 510's were about $33 (on average), but that was in late 2019. I'm expecting to stop with updates for the SFF's at Big Sur, personally, but I might take the 9020 MT's (with RX 570/580's) on to Monterey. Maybe. Simple is good.

(and gotcha about used/new being for the PSU, I mis-read that)

So I received the replacement RAM, however I must have accidentally set up the RAM in single channel mode when I originally took the computer apart. All the RAM I have is Hynix to correct specs, but the machine only boots when I put the sticks together in slots 4 & 2.
When I put them all in, I get 3 orange blinks, a pause, then 3 orange blinks.
I'm sure there's a way to reset the RAM to dual, but couldn't find any hint online. Thanks if you can help :)

So I received the replacement RAM, however I must have accidentally set up the RAM in single channel mode when I originally took the computer apart. All the RAM I have is Hynix to correct specs, but the machine only boots when I put the sticks together in slots 4 & 2.
When I put them all in, I get 3 orange blinks, a pause, then 3 orange blinks.
I'm sure there's a way to reset the RAM to dual, but couldn't find any hint online. Thanks if you can help :)
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Whoops, sorry I missed that as I just changed the main hackintosh. Here goes.

Back