Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

I have a 9020 SFF i7-4790 16gb Ram, Monterey up and running just fine. The only issue I have is when i download Geekbench 5 and run the metal compute benchmark, it locks up the hackintosh 29 seconds into the canny metal test. Only way around that is to power off the 9020.

Can someone else please try the free geekbench 5 trial and see if you can get the metal bemchmark to work?

when i download Geekbench 5 and run the metal compute benchmark, it locks up the hackintosh 29 seconds into the canny metal test. Only way around that is to power off the 9020.
It happens for anyone using the HD4600 iGPU. Nothing you can do about that. If the test could be run you'd get something like a Metal score of 450 approximately. OpenCL score is about 3030.

What do you get for single/multi core scores with the i7 ?

Last edited:
It happens for anyone using the HD4600 iGPU. Nothing you can do about that. If the test could be run you'd get something like a Metal score of 450 approximately. OpenCL score is about 3030.

What do you get for single/multi core scores with the i7 ?
@trs96
Thanks for your reply.

Is this a common issue(?) for Hackintoshes? For example, does this same thing (Metal benchmark freeze) happen with Intel 630 iGPUs?

Secondly, are the Metal APIs working on 9020s?

Thanks!

Open CL on an i7-4790 optiplex 9020 = 3185
Geekbench score=999, multi-core = 3692.

not bad for a free mac!

Is this a common issue(?) for Hackintoshes? For example, does this same thing (Metal benchmark freeze) happen with Intel 630 iGPUs?
I've never tested UHD630. Since it's used as primary graphics for the 2018 Mac mini it shouldn't be a problem. With these OptiMacs we are spoofing the SMBIOS and iGPU. We use Macmini7,1 (HD5000) and the device ID for Iris Pro graphics. Did you notice that ? Apple never used HD4600 for display graphics, only ran it headless on some iMacs.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 5.14.16 AM.png

If you want better graphics performance/metal scores the ideal choice for the SFF models is the AMD Radeon Pro WX4100. Plug and play. Metal score of 19,000+ ! A good investment if you want to edit photos and video content.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.51.00 AM.png

Secondly, are the Metal APIs working on 9020s?
Yes, but it's just supporting Metal 1 API with a mediocre Metal score of less than 500. Intel iGPUs have never been great performers. It's nice to have the integrated graphics to fall back on but a dGPU is needed for better graphics performance.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.38.23 AM.png

not bad for a free mac!
Awesome. Did you find it abandoned somewhere in a dumpster or did a business or institution have a giveaway ?

Last edited:
Awesome. Did you find it abandoned somewhere in a dumpster or did a business or institution have a giveaway ?
it was a computer that I retired from a client who got an upgraded Dell optiplex micro, and I decided to load Monterrey onto it just to test it out.

It works fine and the performance is about 20%+ faster than my iMac mid 2011 (CPU & video card upgraded).

I'm not sure I am going to use it though, I can get an M1 Mac mini used for around $600 and that has way more horsepower plus full metal support.

I can get an M1 Mac mini used for around $600 and that has way more horsepower plus full metal support.
True, nothing really matches single core performance of the M1 and M2. The AMD cards I mentioned have full metal support and the Metal score of even the entry level WX4100 comes close to the integrated GPU in the M1 mini.

19,000+ for the WX 4100 and about 22,000 for the M1 Mac mini.

@trs96 do you have a good, current config.plist for a WX4100 4gb? I may try that route first before dropping $600, but I will need to graft the WX4100 settings onto my current config.plist

do you have a good, current config.plist for a WX4100 4gb?
The one thing you have to do is disable Legacy Option ROMs in the bios or it won't boot with an AMD card.

You can use the same .plist you have now or switch to the iMac17,1 version. Those iMacs have an AMD dGPU. The prices for new WX4100s are quite high on Amazon still, the used prices on Ebay and elsewhere have dropped a lot since the crypto crash this year.

Last edited:
The Radeon Pro WX2100 card costs less but needs a device ID spoof in the config.plist to make them work. They'll give a Metal score of about 12,470. Not bad for a card that is so affordable. Way better than the HD4600.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 3.34.26 PM.png

Back