Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
@xjzhang1979 Had a look at your files and couldnt see anything I could say was wrong.

The problems with IORegistry explorer are often caused by it not having permission to run, if you run it by itself and look out for warnings regarding security you can go into System Preferences | Security tab and allow it to run.

The system definition I'm using is 14,3 and that has different settings on each Display Port (one of them is configured to be like the fixed screen on an iMac) - so I'm wondering if you get different results if you swap the Dispaly Port Connectors on the back of the PC.

How are the two monitors connected to the PC? (with what sort of cables or adaptors).
@nicksoph , thank you for checking my issue:

Here is my two monitors:
  1. 4K monitor with DP port connected to PC’s DP port directly; the monitor also has a speaker on it;
  2. 1080P monitor with HDMI port connected to PC’s DP port with an DP->HDMI adapter cable;
I use SMBIOS 14,3 and tired some situations:
Said the two DP on PC is DP1 and DP2, DP1 is the one near to PS/2 port and DP2 is the one near to VGA port.
  1. 4K monitor -> DP1, 1080P monitor -> DP2 : system hang during the booting (progress bar goes about 50%, I saw somebody called it booting phase 2)
  2. 4K monitor -> DP1 only: system can boot normally; audio can be output from DP port to the speaker integrated in monitor; after that if I plugin the 1080p monitor to DP2, system hang and reboot after a while;
  3. 4K monitor -> DP2,1080P monitor -> DP1;system can boot normally; both monitors works; but audio cannot be output to the speaker in 4K monitor; the HDMI audio device is not present in “System Settings=>Sound"

Last edited:
... my two monitors:
The problem seems too difficult for me to give anything but general advice.

It seems that our current configuration may not be suitable for HDMI and only DP to DP.

I currently use 2 DP to DP cables but will swap to a HDMI connection over the weekend to see if it breaks.

EDIT: Tried and found that the cabling really mattered, the 4k monitor I kept with dp to dp cable and swapped the 2nd monitor from a dp to dp to dp to dvi - nothing on screen, then dp to hdmi (but no hdmi input on monitor so) drom hdmi to dp converter - again nothing on screen. Swapped the port the 4k monitor was on and repeated again the same problem. It seems that with my converters I get even less than you.

I think the rest of this below should be ignored - there is something wrong with the way we have setup these ports - there may be a way to fix it but I don't know it.

I have written a shortish guide to how I built mine and if you were to look at that you might see if we have differences.
Please get back to me with your BIOS settings for - Display - (Auto or Intel?) and Allow Legacy Option ROMS (Should be ticked).

Once we have confirmed your build is close enough to mine we might investigate other things but I don't think I will be much use then.

It may be many things but one of the things that has been mentioned is the type of video Port. Display Ports have several types of configuration, and on real iMacs the display port may be setup as an inbuilt display which is different from the way our Dells have their DisplayPorts configured.
EDIT:
Running with the idea it might be related to Display Port settings
- Setting the BIOS Graphics settings between Auto and Intel changes how the system sets up the GPU - whatever you currently have change it to the other one and see if there is any difference.
- maybe a change of System Definitions to 15,1 or 14,3 might help.

Last edited:
And any thoughts on whether 128MB DVMT pre-allocation might be better would be appreciated.

@nicksoph I'm wondering if I should try allocating more memory to 0x263, if 0x3 is 96M maybe I could try a higher allocation.
Also aperture size is set to 256MB as default, wouldn't a bigger screen need a bigger aperture?. should I try 'setup_var 0x20D 0x3'.

Capture5.PNG

'

Last edited:
There are several interesting things that this ability brings up but seeing as I only really know it works like this and dont really know what the underlying connections are about, I'm sticking with it as it is until there's a reason not to or one of the clever people has some encouraging or enlightening words. I think that upping the DVMT allocation is unlikely to make any positive contribution to your screen res issue and it might break things. If you are up for a challenge I suspect xjzhang's problem is likely to be related to yours and they are related to DP/OSX port settings. @trs96 posted an explanation of it here

Last edited:
There are several interesting things that this ability brings up.

Indeed there are, and I should tread carefully. I'll read up on @trs96 explanation first before altering any values.

@xjzhang1979 Edited earlier post - cables - seems this setup wont work without dp to dp on both monitors.

@craighazan just rebuilt machine from scratch, had an interesting thing happen during the process, when the kexts were only in Clover on the SATA drive and yet to be installed in /library/extensions - had only 2k res and no option for 4k, copied over kexts and rebooted - 4k. When I had 2k everything else worked which meant the kexts had been picked up and the same config.plist was used. Might you just check the kexts are in both locations and maybe rebuild kext cache (kext wizard does this or cmd line) - if its easy to do - still think cables are the most likely issue for your setup.

Last edited:
@craighazan just rebuilt machine from scratch, had an interesting thing happen during the process, when the kexts were only in Clover on the SATA drive and yet to be installed in /library/extensions - had only 2k res and no option for 4k, copied over kexts and rebooted - 4k. When I had 2k everything else worked which meant the kexts had been picked up and the same config.plist was used. Might you just check the kexts are in both locations and maybe rebuild kext cache (kext wizard does this or cmd line) - if its easy to do - still think cables are the most likely issue for your setup.

Thanks @nicksoph, yes I will definitely try this later when I'm in front of the computer. I will need to check the kexts are in both locations and rebuild the cache. I'm pretty sure it's due to cables, I don't have DP on my monitor or TV, just HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back