Contribute
Register

Darkthing#1 - Z68XP-UD3 + i7-3770 + EVGA GT 210

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a nerve-wracking job flashing the BIOS. Very brave! :geek:

Sorry to hear your recording hardware/software won't work with Sierra. I greatly dislike the way OS X/macOS seems quite happy to cripple many older software titles and hardware when it is updated. Dare I say it, with Windows that rarely happens. I'm still using software from 1999 quite happily and reliably :shh:

:)

Yes, it's always been a pain in the arse, it's not new, unfortunately... Before my MBox2, I had an (expensive) Audiomedia III PCI card (also from Digidesign), then Apple changed something in the PCI interface and that expensive card suddenly was worth peanuts... :banghead:
You said the wisest thing about it: using Windows! And not a "niche" software/hardware like ProTools is probably the best idea, in the end... ;)
I've discovered recently there's a cheap alternative rising: http://www.reaper.fm/ I'll probably end up abandoning ProTools and their not-for-long-supported interfaces when I build my next hackintosh! :D:cool:
As for the BIOS upgrade, It's not that complicated but as it's something you do once every death of Christ, there's always a little bit of stress. :lol:

A little "2 years later" update:
My PSU died a few months ago, after less than 6 years… I’ve replaced it with the same brand but cheaper model, as I found the modular conception useless to me.

I've just (finally...) switched to El Capitan, a bit reluctantly because, even if I had a few issues with 10.9, it was globally satisfying.
But I found myself using less and less Pro Tools, and being more and more frustrated not to be able to update more and more software...
So, it has been a full month of trials, first with High Sierra, but the jump to a new OS with little but important compatibility issues with some software I use currently, the relative slowness together with a new filesystem making the OS inaccessible from my other OS versions, it was too much.
I was pleasantly surprised that I could still use so many old things in El Capitan, it took time to tailor everything and cure some issues, mainly caused by remains of 10.9, but in the end it seems to be a good move so far — and checking the Console for weird messages, I’ve found how to solve many issues thanks to the Internet.
It’s noticeable that these OSes are definitely “optimized”… for running awfully slow on HDDs! It was bearable with 10.9 but a real PITA with High Sierra: they absolutely need SSDs.

On the bootloader side, I was of course obliged to install Clover, though it’s slightly — but not significantly — slower than Chimera/Chameleon/Enoch, but so easily to customize!
Having updated my BIOS to UEFI, I could use the UEFI version of Clover.
I had to get the hang of it but now it’s perfectly set up (if anyone needs advice, config.plist or else, just ask). As for the kexts and patches, my best setup is to stick to the versions fully working in 10.9: I even ended up deleting the Clover audio patches and restored Toleda’s AppleHDA from MultiBeast 6.1.0! (the sound was partially working with patches but with post-sleep issue and interface disappearing completely sometimes…)

The only issue I’m still to find a cure for is that my external HDs appear as internal ones in the sidebar (no eject symbol near their icons).

Good work! I must admit I have become a little disillusioned with the latest macOS versions. You are right, APFS is slow and needs an SSD to work well.

And a lot of the software I have bought over the years no longer works or is "glitchy". Two examples I really miss - Aperture and Extensis Portfolio Standalone. :| There are many others.

I have SSDs with Sierra and High Sierra - the latter as HFS+, however I would like to reinstall El Capitan and smile again :)

:thumbup:

Hi! :)
I would have hoped you'd say High Sierra with APFS is fantastic... ;)
How did you manage to install it in HFS on SSD?
I made my first trials on HDD/HFS+ then tried to clone it to an HFS+ partition on SSD but no way... I had to format that partition to APFS and assumed it was mandatory for SSDs. (I think I've used Disk Utility for cloning, maybe I should try with CCC or SuperDuper?)

Ah, there is a script you can run when you begin the High Sierra install. Go to "Step 4" :thumbup:

It is tricky and a little worrying as the script can take several minutes to work its magic. A good idea to disconnect any other drives to avoid confusion.

I have managed to make it work, so anybody can! :)

I am not a fan of APFS but I am sure experts will tell me I should be.

I must be getting old! :lol:

Well, now that I've got it working on my test HDD, I'd rather find a way to clone it to SSD/HFS if I can avoid the hassle of reinstalling from scratch...;)
About performance, did you check your Console? I found an impressive number of crazy useless processes braking the OS, namely NSURL, APSD, PARSECD, COMMERCED, "AMFI code signature failed", "Trustd cert: anchor trusted force>0", "Sync defaultsd", "Mds directquery fetch"...
Most of them disappeared unloading APSD (either by [sudo] launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.apsd.plist in Terminal, or using Lingon, LaunchControl, etc.)
Of course, some people might use APSD services but I don't. :lol:
I also unloaded kexts related to bluetooth, cloud, wifi as I don't use them neither — the gain in performance might be little, but I don't like having things filling up the Console — and consuming CPU — for nothing. :mrgreen:

No, I haven't used Console to check what's going on, but seeing what you have discovered just shows why the performance is affected like it is. o_O

HFS+ has served us well for so many years, I wonder what the idea was behind upgrading it to APFS. Change for change sake? Is macOS any less vulnerable with it than without - in real terms? Hmmm.... But other software has suffered.

And you make a good point, in an oblique way, that we all rush to upgrade when something new comes out and too easily forget how good things actually were before! I am certainly learning that :thumbup:

As an ooooold Mac user, I've learnt sometimes the hard way that even security updates can break things... (it happened to me once to destroy a friend's Firewire drive because of a known bug: that friend was editing a film and he lost everything he was working on! :banghead: — the worst and stupidest thing of it is that I had read about that bug before but forgot it when I confidently applied the &@$£§ing update... :mrgreen: )
So, I got used to wait a few days/weeks after an update publishing, reading if everybody was satisfied with it. Same thing for a new OS version, even more cautiously, especially since I went the hackintosh route!
Anyway, since the first OSX, nearly each new version brought new bugs while curing old ones (only Tiger and Snow Leopard were quite clean!) — actually, I've waited 10.3.9 before switching from OS9. ;)
Also, reading how Mac users are generally disappointed at each new 10.x makes you even more cautious...

Some hints:
1) I have a secondary clean current OS partition where I make any test prior to apply them to my main OS partition; and
2) in case of switching to a new OS version, I completely clone my current main macOS partition (actually using Migration Assistant) to the new OS and try for some time to work with it and nail down any compatibility issue, etc.

Fine tuning MacOS with the help of Activity Monitor and Console seems essential to me. The hardest part is learning how to tell the normal clutter in the Console from abnormal one... But seeing the same lines or bunch of lines repeating endlessly even when you're not doing anything is an unmistakable sign.

In High Sierra, I've noticed the amazing quantity of processes running behind your back, connecting to plenty of servers for any useless reason (stock exchange, weather, etc.), many of those are useless to the average user — at least, they don't need to be running all the time!
Also, those OSes are conceived to never shut down, that's why they are so slow to become usable after a normal boot.
One more interesting thing is that they seem to fully use the power of say an i7 compared to an i3: my Darkthing #2 has a HDD but Apple Mail runs normally while the same El Capitan with the same 8 mail accounts on Darkthing #1 is crawling (even after the usual maintenance practices (deleting Envelope files, rebuilding, etc.)

As for APFS, it should be a better choice than HFS+, security wise, but it looks it's at the cost of some speed. It's been 3 years now that I use ZFS which is considered the best filesystem on earth, but the development of the Mac port is very slow: I must say that if APFS was backward compatible, I'd use it instead...

In conclusion, I can only encourage you to have a look at the Console (and Activity Monitor) and search the Internet for any strange message. Then it's a bit of work, using LaunchControl (or Lingon) to disable launch agents that you don't need — as I told you before, I never had issues disabling apsd, apsc, anything with blue(tooth), airplay, airport, cloud or wifi in its name, if you don't use them. If you do it methodically — maybe first on a test partition ;) — you could gain a few CPU cycles.

Last edited:
HFS+ has served us well for so many years, I wonder what the idea was behind upgrading it to APFS. Change for change sake? Is macOS any less vulnerable with it than without - in real terms? Hmmm.... But other software has suffered.
Apple wants everything they make, phones, tablets, AppleTVs etc. to all be using the same file system. What this portends for the future I'm not sure but at least they are phasing out mechanical HDDs and fusion drives in the Mac line. I'm using HFS+ in High Sierra on a mechanical drive with an older i7 and it really flies. Other than the boot time, it doesn't seem slow at all. It's a secondary machine (Dell Optiplex) so I'm planning to stay with HS for a few years for the backward compatibility it offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back