Contribute
Register

Cyprien's Powermac g5 mod (with 2x200mm fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lolkpro said:
Oh and I forgot to add that I plan to do exactly the same as you and mount the power supply in a busted G5 one. What I thought was making a duct from the bottom of the case and through the casing of the power supply for the intake fan, and then get some 80mm or 60mm fans to exhaust out the back? I don't have the power supply yet, so would you be able to tell me how tall it is roughly? Thanks!!!

G5 power supply casing is 60mm tall (the external twin 60mm fans are full height of case).

minihack said:
lolkpro said:
Oh and I forgot to add that I plan to do exactly the same as you and mount the power supply in a busted G5 one. What I thought was making a duct from the bottom of the case and through the casing of the power supply for the intake fan, and then get some 80mm or 60mm fans to exhaust out the back? I don't have the power supply yet, so would you be able to tell me how tall it is roughly? Thanks!!!

G5 power supply casing is 60mm tall (the external twin 60mm fans are full height of case).

Oh wicked, cheers man thats exactly what i thought. 120mm fans are typically around 20-25mm tall so my duct idea should work well. It will isolate the PSU from the case nicely :) with some noise dampening foam it should be near silent :)

lolkpro said:
Wow! Amazing work mate! It's funny because I am in the process of building mine and I am going to be using the mountain mods tray + the same fractal design fans as you! Great minds think alike eh ;) Can you explain again how you got your hard drive caddies secured? I have a contact that can fabricate stuff out of acrylic so I'm going to get a sort of 10 x 3.5" bay stack made, that has mounting holes on the front for fans, but not quite sure how to secure it to the case. Might drill holes in the bottom of the case, and in the shelf and then just screw it in? That way I could assemble the whole cage and then insert it, fans and all into the case. Should be pretty easy..? :p

I mounted it really easily as I hadn't got much time to mod it, I screwed 2 HD brackets together, pasted them on 4rubber feets to reduce vibrations. I just put them on the PSU, didn't need to secure it more, as it is pretty secured like this, it doesn't move any mm and the advantage: really easy to take out without screewing...
For my next powermac g5, I'll use some acrylic and an old HD bracked and secure it a bit better :D I plan using 2x120 or 2x140mm fans in the front, I'll see how I'll make it...
(I also don't use a mobo tray, costs too much.) I've begun modding it yesterday :)

And finally, be careful where you put your PSU fan, it could hide some pins on the mobo and for example you won't be able to connect your cpu fan (my case :p ) I cut a bit of the plastic to access it, at least It's hidden by my cnps12x.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 267
cyprien1995 said:
I mounted it really easily as I hadn't got much time to mod it, I screwed 2 HD brackets together, pasted them on 4rubber feets to reduce vibrations. I just put them on the PSU, didn't need to secure it more, as it is pretty secured like this, it doesn't move any mm and the advantage: really easy to take out without screewing...
For my next powermac g5, I'll use some acrylic and an old HD bracked and secure it a bit better :D I plan using 2x120 or 2x140mm fans in the front, I'll see how I'll make it...
(I also don't use a mobo tray, costs too much.) I've begun modding it yesterday :)

Ah right! Well I've been working in sketchup on my bracket, it's an idea I've had in my head for a while. The guy who will fabricate it for me says that hes done something similar before so it shouldn't be a problem to get made. The only thing that I have yet to figure out is the place for the fan mounting holes, as you can see from the images below, the fans will screw into the small lip on the front, I haven't put the actual holes in there yet though ;) The way that it is secured to the case is 8 thumb screws (4 on the top, 2 each side) and another 4 on the bottom. You should be able to see the holes there as well. This bracket will screw into the shelf and into the bottom of the case ;)

Those fans are just random 140mm ones I found on google that I am using for a mockup, same with the hard drives ;)

Attachments

• g5 hard drive cage sketch.png
    g5 hard drive cage sketch.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 1,365
  • MacBuild-Hard_Drive_Cage sketch.png
    MacBuild-Hard_Drive_Cage sketch.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 331
minihack said:
lolkpro said:

Hey minihack just out of curiosity, what have you done for hard drive mounting / front bays in your build? I just see in your avatar but not clearly!

Looks great your bracket! For the mounting, I'd suggest to screw it on the top and on the bottom, or you could make a "sliding mechanism".
For mine, I think I'll reuse my element G bracket: http://www.overclockersonline.net/image ... e/tt21.jpg funny looks like yours :eek:
I've an idea how I'll fix the fans, I'll just slide a plexiglass plate with 2 120 or 140 holes in the gap marked on the photo (sorry iphone 4 photo..) and screw it on the bottom, maybe on some shortened standoffs or something like this...
EDIT: Added the photo I forgot to upload :D

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
lolkpro said:
minihack said:
lolkpro said:

Hey minihack just out of curiosity, what have you done for hard drive mounting / front bays in your build? I just see in your avatar but not clearly!

Hi,
In the picture was my old hotswap rack that I made:

P8220098.JPG

Now though instead there is a new one I have made (and make with my laser cutting business):

p2180389.jpg

Attachments

• P8220098.JPG
    P8220098.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 215
cyprien1995 said:
Looks great your bracket! For the mounting, I'd suggest to screw it on the top and on the bottom, or you could make a "sliding mechanism".
For mine, I think I'll reuse my element G bracket: http://www.overclockersonline.net/image ... e/tt21.jpg funny looks like yours :eek:
I've an idea how I'll fix the fans, I'll just slide a plexiglass plate with 2 120 or 140 holes in the gap marked on the photo (sorry iphone 4 photo..) and screw it on the bottom, maybe on some shortened standoffs or something like this...
Nice! If I had one of those lying around I would use that instead :p I was going to try and cram in 10 drives because I was going to use it as a server, but I decided not to haha. A sliding mechanism would be nice, I'll have a look and see if I can figure something out, but it's probably going to be a lot more work that just screwing it in ;) I'll take some photos of my case soon and start my own thread haha, I'm kind of hijacking yours Cyprien!

minihack said:
Now though instead there is a new one I have made (and make with my laser cutting business):

p2180389.jpg

Where abouts are you located Minihack? I would prefer to get the cage cut out of aluminum or something, instead of acrylic as that looks fantastic! Do you offer your services to get things like this fabricated, or at least cut out? I can provide you with all of the orthographic plans and measurements that you will need..? If so I'd love to get a quote off you when you have a moment :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back