Contribute
Register

Cyprien's Powermac g5 mod (with 2x200mm fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayster said:
You said those two 200mm fans fit nicely? I'm thinking about doing the same but putting a 400mm radiator in front of the fans. Just concerned with everything fitting nicely...

Jayster

*EDIT* I can't even figure out how you got two of those fans to fit... When I measure my case, from the floor of the case to the tray is about 35cm...

My two fans are from my old element G case, their height/diameter is about 150mm or 160mm so it fits perfectly (for my tt200mm fans, there are 190mm between two opposite mounting holes,and 200mm between the two opposite corners).

If your radiator is too long, you could try too cut a hole at the bottom of the case put a similar alu mesh as the one in mine.

Jayster said:
cyprien1995 said:
I've downloaded a skechup 3x180mm radiator (http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/50)to see the dimentions, if you're lucky it could fit ;)

It's a dual 180mm radiator that comes out to 400mm exactly. Darn... well I guess I'll just get rid of the CD drive.... makes things a little bit more difficult though... I wonder if I could get a slim CD/DVD drive and make some sort of elevated mounting system so I can cut the tray, fit the radiator, and then mount the CD/DVD drive above it.

Jayster

I think yes you could mount a slim (laptop type) drive up high but bear in mind that when laptop drives open they don't power open but instead just flick forward slightly under spring pressure - so you may have problems with that being able to push open the G5 DVD "door". Maybe a slot loader may have enough eject power to push the door open but you then still have to have a mechanism for lowering the DVD door to get a DVD into it....though I guess another option would just be to remove the door and replace with a static panel that has a slot in it.

Nice Mod. :thumbup:

Where you bought the Mountain Mod mobo tray in Switzerland?

Wow! Amazing work mate! It's funny because I am in the process of building mine and I am going to be using the mountain mods tray + the same fractal design fans as you! Great minds think alike eh ;) Can you explain again how you got your hard drive caddies secured? I have a contact that can fabricate stuff out of acrylic so I'm going to get a sort of 10 x 3.5" bay stack made, that has mounting holes on the front for fans, but not quite sure how to secure it to the case. Might drill holes in the bottom of the case, and in the shelf and then just screw it in? That way I could assemble the whole cage and then insert it, fans and all into the case. Should be pretty easy..? :p

Oh and I forgot to add that I plan to do exactly the same as you and mount the power supply in a busted G5 one. What I thought was making a duct from the bottom of the case and through the casing of the power supply for the intake fan, and then get some 80mm or 60mm fans to exhaust out the back? I don't have the power supply yet, so would you be able to tell me how tall it is roughly? Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back