Contribute
Register

CUSTOMAC - SUCCESS! Z77X-UD5H, GT 640, i7-3770K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spillins

For a HTPC the HD4000 graphics will be fine. For Final cut it depends on what version you are using. If you are using FCX it will use open cl to support rendering in which case you would want to find a card that has good open cl. If you are using Final Cut 7 it will render solely on the processor and will not make a difference if you have a video card or not.

My personal opinion would be to switch to Premier Pro in CS 6 they have a setting I believe where you can set it to have Final Cut shortcuts set up on your key board and with the mercury engine your render times would increase ridiculously. It would be like going from a Model T to the New Limited Edition Ferrari that is so fast its not even street legal.

That being said... If you stick with final cut and are on FCX get an i5 chip and use the money you save to get a good open cl card.. If you are on Final Cut 7 get the i7 as compressor will use the multi threading to speed it up and don't worry about a GPU at all.

If you do go with Premier, it as well as After Effects uses Cuda cores so you would go with an i5 and then maybe a 660 ti or 670.

Either way you go you will see a speed improvement because you are working off a dual core chip in around the 2 ghz range on your laptop and moving to a quad core in the 3.5 ghz range.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply with great suggestions. I'm currently using FCPX and probably stay with it for the near future and move into CS6 later. Would the 660ti card be the best choice with mountain lion and future proof as 650ti has open Cl for carrying on with FCPX support and will also assist with CS 6 (Cuda Cores), if I'm reading the specs correctly. I'm still wondering if I should stay with i7 3770k series over the i5's for overclocking in the future and for trans-coding streaming video to devices? Again thanks for the detail information! Learned already quite a bit of info, glad I got on-board this discussion.

Spillins,

I am not sure about the 650 ti, the specs look fine for what you want, its a matter of support. I am guessing it would be okay as I believe the driver we are using in mountain lion is for the 650m but to be clear it is a GUESS.

If you can afford it I would go with the i7 as more an more programs will start using threading. I was trying to give you a balance budget wise given the cards I was recommending were 300 to 400 dollars. Just make sure to get a good aftermarket cup cooler if you plan to overclock.

If I were you I would go to lynda and check out some of the tutorials they have on Premier. I am not trying to push you on it and I do not work for adobe its just you seem like you are going to build a machine that will work well for it and wont be utilizing that power and although I am not sure the switch will be easy for you, I don't think it will be as hard as you imagine it might be. I only say this because I had a person I was helping with a system that was adamant about staying with FCX and after he looked at some of the vids on lynda was using premier pretty efficiently with in a day. His render times decreased by a factor of 3.

Please keep in mind I am NOT an editor! When I open up FC or PP to me it looks like the control panel of a Space Shuttle (in fact the Space Shuttle panel would probably make more sense to me) but I live in Los Angeles and have done countless builds for editors, colorists and special effects clients that work on feature films here in hollywood. So my advice in this area comes from the experience they have conveyed to me.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I have the same board you have but then with a I5-3570K and a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Im still using the onboard graphics.
While installing my system hangs with the message "BSD Process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown"

I tried booting with the optional boot arguments found in the Unibeast guide but that doesnt help. Can you clarify which USB port you used and to which SATA connector your SSD was connected during installation?

From your previous post as bios settings I read:
Set all Harddrives to AHCI -> Is that the general AHCI setting in the bios or do you have a different setting?=
Enable both xHXI and EHXI -> I dont find these options on my bios. Can that be the problem?

Im on bios F5 btw so I might need to update. Will try that tonight to see if that fixes some problems.

Do the 4 rear USB3.0 work? I got the 2 fronts to work but not the rears.

Hey I have this same board and CPU. I tried installing mountain lion, but when it boots up after the apple logo goes away I just get the white screen and my mouse. My dies is f6. I'm thinking it isn't working because I have an ssd that I installed lion on when it what in my Mac book laptop. Should I just take that out and try again?

Good work my friend!

I have the same CPU and mobo, using the onboard graphics as not currently planning to do any heavy graphics work. I am, however, running into issues trying to install ML off the USB stick I create with unibeast. I'm getting the attached screen in normal boot or safe mode, and if I use verbose boot it comes up with "still waiting for root device" after a minute of running through other code. I'm a newbie to all this.
20120902_074018.jpg
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dan

Please delete

Thanks mate! I was stumped till I found your post. Same setup as you but with a 670. However, I had a newer version of Multibeast and mine looked like this (I guessed it from some of your options)

View attachment 27912

Hi!

I would like to know why you where using Lnx2Mac's instead of the hnak's for your LAN!

And also, what option have you checked for the sound Without DSDT.

Thanks! :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back