Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Why is my Hackintosh so slow?!?

G'day all,

I've just built a CustoMac Pro (Intel Core i7-3770K, GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, Corsair Carbide 500R, Corsair 650 Watt Modular, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, SATA 6Gb/s 120GB SSD, SATA 6Gb/s 2TB HDD, TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter), installed OS X 10.8.2 on the SSD, as well as Windows 8 on a small partition of the HDD, and... it's as slow as a... well, it's slow.

Just ran a Geekbench 2 32-bit benchmark test, and the score I got was 646, haha.

Now, what's the go? Can anyone shed some light? I'm assuming it'll have something to do with my MultiBeast settings selection, as well as the various BIOS settings I have and have not selected, but I'm not 100% just what to look for to really get the build cranking. Surely someone's been in the same boat as me

Thanks all for all the information provided so far on the site, and for any assistance yet to come.

Hoping to get the up in the Golden Build's section ;)

Cheers,

Dr0ver

Attachments

• Untitled.tiff
    45.5 KB · Views: 168
Can anyone help? Why is my hackintosh so slow?

Remotely diagnosing that without further information is a bit hard.
Is your memory installed properly? Is the CPU being cooled properly? etc.

The BIOS can tell us a lot, but its information is scattered across many pages.
Unplug all USB drives except one FAT-formatted USB stick and using the Advanced (non-graphical) mode of the BIOS go into each and every page and do a screen grab (the instructions are on the right of the screen). That will show the settings you're using plus the current status (temperature, fans, memory layout, etc).
When you're done there'll be a bunch of BMP files on the USB drive. Convert them all to JPEGs and upload them somewhere for others to look over.

Cheers for the reply DBP.

Here's the latest. After having not used the hackintosh for 24 hours, I started her up, reset all the BIOS settings to default, and ran a geekbench test. Score came out at just over 12000. Now, after I've been using it for just over an hour, I've noticed it slow down considerably. I restarted, ran another geekbench test, and now the score comes out at just over 600.

In comparing the two result printouts, aside from all the **** performances, I noticed that the processor has gone from "Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz" to "Intel Core i7-3770K @ 1.30GHz".

What's going on here?

I'll get on those BIOS screenshots ASAP, thanks DBP.

Smells like maybe your CPU is overheating?
Legend.

Haha, you were indeed correct. This was a genuine case of overlooking the obvious, figured it couldn't be a simple cooling problem, rather something complex because it was a hackintosh.

Turns out it was the H60 I had installed, and the CPU was indeed overheating. Thanks again for all your help mate, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back