Contribute
Register

CustoMac Desktop USB Fixes - 10.11+ Reference

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being an idiot but there is a lot of information on this tread and I end up a little confused. Could please Tonymac86 edit the 1st post to reflect the latest recommendations to fix USB support on desktops running El Capitan?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being an idiot but there is a lot of information on this tread and I end up a little confused. Could please Tonymac86 edit the 1st post to reflect the latest recommendations to fix USB support on desktops running El Capitan?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-

Full guide is here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

A single recommendation cannot be made, although there are some recommendations based on chipset in that guide. This is one of those cases where you have to use the gray matter between your ears.

Full guide is here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

A single recommendation cannot be made, although there are some recommendations based on chipset in that guide. This is one of those cases where you have to use the gray matter between your ears.

Thanks, I thought the link you provided was for laptops only.
Th OP of this tread (desktop USB fixes) seems really clear (recommendations based on chipsets) but the comments seem to indicate that the recommendations are somehow incomplete and could be updated for clarity.
Probably I don't have enough of that grey matter, not even white one, just a big black hole in between my ears ;p But I'll try to work on that...

Thanks anyway. Have a very good one.
Best,
-a-

Thanks, I thought the link you provided was for laptops only.

The problem is not laptop specific. The solutions employed are the same for desktops and laptops.

So FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, and boot argument
"-uia_exclude_xhc"?

I did this exactly and as a result, 2 USB 3.0 hubs appeared in my device tree at appropriate 3.0 speeds. However, they do not seem to correspond with any of my actual USB ports on my tower. I tried connecting my 3.0 device into each port and noticed that the device would still appear under a USB 2.0 hub. Additionally, certain ports that accepted 3.0 devices, no longer do so.

I reviewed the info provided in http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html, but I just can't to see how to apply most of these suggestions to my setup, specifically regarding the clover config.plist modifications. I don't seem to have a "Patches" section under my config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/. I'm using Xcode, so I'm also a little confused on how to actually copy and paste in this application. Assuming I created it correctly, I have attached my ioreg file. Please let me know if I need to include anything else.

By the way, I did a fresh install of 10.11.2 using Unibeast/Multibeast and my system definition is imac 14,2. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• preacherioreg.ioreg
    3.1 MB · Views: 121
@rehabman
ok I got the usb flash drive to boot using your "GENERICUSBXHCI.kext" placed in clover,After clean install 10.11.2.My USB3.0 , back ports show up as 2.0 hub,in sys profile.I also have yosemite on another Drive with all usb ports working with same kext above ,which show up 3.0 super high speed ,and 2.0 high speed.i would like to rename ports EHCI/XHCI hubs to see if more USB hubs show up; without adding injector kexts.I tried "USBinjectALL.kext" into clover and nothing showed up,After reading many posts where some claim to rename EHCI/XHCI and provide no info on how to do this correctly have had good results.How do I do this correctly ?
here are my IOjones on 10.11.2 install with GENERICUSBXHCI.kext, this is an Intel board DX79SR,x79 chipset,I would imagine it would be an 7 series board? not sure has 6 usb3.0 ports and 14 usb2.0 ports ,i'd like to have my keyboard and mouse setup which is (mac) connected to a usb 2.0 port as the usb 3.0 ports are buggy and do not always play nice,I'm using macMini server smbios late 2012,as this with patched AICPUPM works accordingly.here is my IOjones 10.11.2,I'll reboot and upload 10.10.5 IOjohnes as well

Attachments

• Drone4zone-10.10.5.iojones
    956 KB · Views: 103
  • Drone4zone Mac mini-10.11.2.iojones
    796.8 KB · Views: 68
@rehabman
ok I got the usb flash drive to boot using your "GENERICUSBXHCI.kext" placed in clover,After clean install 10.11.2.My USB3.0 , back ports show up as 2.0 hub,in sys profile.I also have yosemite on another Drive with all usb ports working with same kext above ,which show up 3.0 super high speed ,and 2.0 high speed.i would like to rename ports EHCI/XHCI hubs to see if more USB hubs show up; without adding injector kexts.I tried "USBinjectALL.kext" into clover and nothing showed up,After reading many posts where some claim to rename EHCI/XHCI and provide no info on how to do this correctly have had good results.How do I do this correctly ?
here are my IOjones on 10.11.2 install with GENERICUSBXHCI.kext, this is an Intel board DX79SR,x79 chipset,I would imagine it would be an 7 series board? not sure has 6 usb3.0 ports and 14 usb2.0 ports ,i'd like to have my keyboard and mouse setup which is (mac) connected to a usb 2.0 port as the usb 3.0 ports are buggy and do not always play nice,I'm using macMini server smbios late 2012,as this with patched AICPUPM works accordingly.here is my IOjones 10.11.2,I'll reboot and upload 10.10.5 IOjohnes as well

For Intel ports read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

As for non-Intel, it appears GenericUSBXHCI is loading and working to some extent.

Note: X79 does not have Intel USB3.

ok I thought since it was an Intel board it would have intel chips..i will read up on link you provided ,In meantime could you advise me a simple summary on steps to rename EHCI/XHCI,so I can figure it out in clover configurator

ok I thought since it was an Intel board it would have intel chips..

At the time, Intel didn't have a USB3 solution.

...In meantime could you advise me a simple summary on steps to rename EHCI/XHCI,so I can figure it out in clover configurator

It is covered in my guide...

Hint: Use config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches

Note: Clover Configurator is a crutch you should eliminate.

not sure how to edit DSDT..could you take a look at it and see if I can rename the ports ? seems your version of "GenericUSBXHC.kext" is working with 4ports back panel ,what I'm trying to achieve is to get my original 2.0USB working again since I have 14, I use at least 10 of them.Yosemite natively worked like a charm .I'm hoping a simple patch will do the trick ,or at least get me started .

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    19.8 KB · Views: 135
Back