Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 960
Sorry if these questions sound a little bit noobish but while I consider myself decent with computers this will be my first time building a CustoMac.

I am looking to build the “CustoMac Pro” from the Jan 2015 buyer’s guide with the goal of making a powerful dual boot machine with as little modification/tweaking to get OS X running as possible:
i7-4790K
GeForce GTX760
16GB DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s
Corsair Professional Series 760 Watt
Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower

For how many years should I expect to be able to upgrade this build with new parts? The only mother boards I see listed on the CustoMac buyers guide are of the “97” series, so I assume that “99” model motherboards are not compatible with OS X yet (at least without serious modification to OS X settings and drivers). Should I wait a bit until newer parts find there way into the buyer’s guide (I could comfortably put this off until May) or do these parts have a good time horizon?

Again, this is my first time building a rig for myself so I am not very familiar with PC parts release cycles. I appreciate any help, thank you.

Sorry if these questions sound a little bit noobish but while I consider myself decent with computers this will be my first time building a CustoMac.

I am looking to build the “CustoMac Pro” from the Jan 2015 buyer’s guide with the goal of making a powerful dual boot machine with as little modification/tweaking to get OS X running as possible:
i7-4790K
GeForce GTX760
16GB DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s
Corsair Professional Series 760 Watt
Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower

For how many years should I expect to be able to upgrade this build with new parts? The only mother boards I see listed on the CustoMac buyers guide are of the “97” series, so I assume that “99” model motherboards are not compatible with OS X yet (at least without serious modification to OS X settings and drivers). Should I wait a bit until newer parts find there way into the buyer’s guide (I could comfortably put this off until May) or do these parts have a good time horizon?

Again, this is my first time building a rig for myself so I am not very familiar with PC parts release cycles. I appreciate any help, thank you.

From what I have read, the 97 boards will support the next generation Broadwell CPU which is supposed to come out later this year. Your build will stand at least one CPU upgrade, possibly more, and the GPU can always be upgraded as I doubt that PCIe Gen 4 is anywhere close. Hard drives and SSDs will always be compatible.

You should get at least 5-7 years out of your build easily.

Thanks for your insights, I feel better about my build now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back