CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 560 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
This is a follow on from my thread “Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU Mojave”

A ‘solution’ was found for that by running 2 cores of the CPU.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/calendar-hogging-upto-90-cpu-mojave.317889/

I can arrange 4 cores to run successfully but when I choose SHUTDOWN from Apple menu it will not shutdown but reboots. (Though has randomly shutdown but not repeatable)

I did carry out all the suggestions in “Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU Mojave” but was not successful in solving the 2/4 core problem.

It is strange that it will shutdown when 2 cores are running but it won’t with >2 cores.

In addition I tried many experiments and found in some circumstances if I logged out of users the computer would shutdown from log in/account window.

It would be nice to run with 4 cores because of the extra speed.

Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated.

I attach my latest EFI (redacted for serial numbers).

Attachments

• EFI for TM 28-8-22.zip
    46.4 MB · Views: 29
This is a follow on from my thread “Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU Mojave”

A ‘solution’ was found for that by running 2 cores of the CPU.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/calendar-hogging-upto-90-cpu-mojave.317889/

I can arrange 4 cores to run successfully but when I choose SHUTDOWN from Apple menu it will not shutdown but reboots. (Though has randomly shutdown but not repeatable)

I did carry out all the suggestions in “Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU Mojave” but was not successful in solving the 2/4 core problem.

It is strange that it will shutdown when 2 cores are running but it won’t with >2 cores.

In addition I tried many experiments and found in some circumstances if I logged out of users the computer would shutdown from log in/account window.

It would be nice to run with 4 cores because of the extra speed.

Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated.

I attach my latest EFI (redacted for serial numbers).
not sure why you are using MacBookAir6,2 in your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext?

also you may want to give opencore a go, it is much cleaner

I have no idea why I am “using MacBookAir6,2 in your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext”. I don’t even understand the question. What should I be using, how do I change it and is it likely the problem of not shutting down?

(I have SMBIOS MacPro6,1 which has worked well and was recommend iMac19,1 as better)

I just found or whatever USBPort.kext after running the Hackintool programme check up on USB ports. I’d be grateful for your explanation.

As for OpenCore, I have had enough trauma ‘understanding’ my present set up to try another system that might end up with not having a system at all. I know many others say OpenCore is easy. I have dipped my toe in the water but I'm not ready to jump in.

I just would like to get 4 cores running without trauma.

I have no idea why I am “using MacBookAir6,2 in your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext”. I don’t even understand the question. What should I be using, how do I change it and is it likely the problem of not shutting down?

(I have SMBIOS MacPro6,1 which has worked well and was recommend iMac19,1 as better)

I just found or whatever USBPort.kext after running the Hackintool programme check up on USB ports. I’d be grateful for your explanation.

As for OpenCore, I have had enough trauma ‘understanding’ my present set up to try another system that might end up with not having a system at all. I know many others say OpenCore is easy. I have dipped my toe in the water but I'm not ready to jump in.

I just would like to get 4 cores running without trauma.
you can edit re edit the info.plist within your USBPorts.kext using PlistEditPro or xcode and change MacBookAir6,2 to whatever your SMBIOS you are using in your main config.plist

you can edit re edit the info.plist within your USBPorts.kext using PlistEditPro or xcode and change MacBookAir6,2 to whatever your SMBIOS you are using in your main config.plist
Thank you, another lesson learnt as I didn’t realise I could open up a kext. Amended the MacBookAir and rebooted. It seemed to make no difference to anything – should it have?

Since I started this post I (re)tried removing AptioMemoryfix-64.efi which I did.

With 4 cores running happily:

Restarted – shutdown – Worked
Start cold – shutdown – failed by rebooting
Shutdown – failed by rebooting
Shutdown – Worked

So sometimes shuts down and sometimes doesn’t which is the theme for all the different things I have tried.

Please any ideas to solve this?

Thank you, another lesson learnt as I didn’t realise I could open up a kext. Amended the MacBookAir and rebooted. It seemed to make no difference to anything – should it have?

Since I started this post I (re)tried removing AptioMemoryfix-64.efi which I did.

With 4 cores running happily:

Restarted – shutdown – Worked
Shutdown – failed by rebooting
Shutdown – Worked

So sometimes shuts down and sometimes doesn’t which is the theme for all the different things I have tried.

Please any ideas to solve this?
maybe your USBPorts.kext isn't correct

have a read up on:

don't forget to reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI

maybe your USBPorts.kext isn't correct

have a read up on:

don't forget to reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI
Yes I have read “The New Beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” several times AND have been through the process. I have 15 ports shown in Hackintool and all 9 usb ports available to me work fine. I have tested them all. I have opened up the computer to check where the motherboard USB connectors go to.

So I don’t understand why you think USBPorts.kext is wrong. How do you think it is wrong and how do you suggest I fix it?

As for resetting the nvram, this is the first I have heard of it. The question is what are positives or negatives in resetting or not?

Having made a change to EFI/config I have also restarted the computer every time thinking that is sufficient.

I have reset the PRAM (nvram) on Imac many times by pressing option-control-P-R at start up, would I do that after selecting the hard drive at the Clover screen? Other places suggest pressing F11 key at clover screen or terminal command “nvram –c”. What would you recommend?

Lastly how do these relate to the computer not shutting down when running 4 cores?

Do you have an explanation why it will shutdown with 2 cores but not 4 considering the above does not change in the two scenarios?

Yes I have read “The New Beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” several times AND have been through the process. I have 15 ports shown in Hackintool and all 9 usb ports available to me work fine. I have tested them all. I have opened up the computer to check where the motherboard USB connectors go to.

So I don’t understand why you think USBPorts.kext is wrong. How do you think it is wrong and how do you suggest I fix it?

As for resetting the nvram, this is the first I have heard of it. The question is what are positives or negatives in resetting or not?

Having made a change to EFI/config I have also restarted the computer every time thinking that is sufficient.

I have reset the PRAM (nvram) on Imac many times by pressing option-control-P-R at start up, would I do that after selecting the hard drive at the Clover screen? Other places suggest pressing F11 key at clover screen or terminal command “nvram –c”. What would you recommend?

Lastly how do these relate to the computer not shutting down when running 4 cores?

Do you have an explanation why it will shutdown with 2 cores but not 4 considering the above does not change in the two scenarios?
you have set 5 ports as internal (255) what 5 internal components do you have?

@GeorgeJames,

I have a sneaking suspicion the issue lies with both Clover and whatever kexts you are using in your build at the moment that are causing the reboot crash. It could be to do with your Clover configuration being old.

So it may be a good idea to upgrade to Opencore.
As it stands I found an Opencore build on Github that should work for your board under latest Monterey > https://github.com/sohagmahin/Gigabyte-B360-Aorus-Gaming-3-Hackintosh

A simple few edits of the config.plist should be enough to get you going. You just need to transfer your UUID, MLB and rom serials over, add in agdpmod=ignore under NVRAM for the AMD RX560 and that's pretty much it.

you have set 5 ports as internal (255) what 5 internal components do you have?
I apologise for my ignorance but I am not only trying to learn but also quickly. I appreciate your patience.

It is very frustrating that I can’t get to use 4 cores because of this shutdown issue.

I don’t understand your question but if it is related USBPort.kext I have generated another via Hackintool which hopefully will be (more) correct. I didn’t delete any ports as it was only showing 15 and as I said 9 available ports work. I have used this kext in various combinations of EFI and I get random shutdowns with 4 cores but after success they have all been failures. My impression it has nothing to do with changing USBPort.kext.

What about clearing NVRAM – why and how?

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back