Contribute
Register

Core I5-3470 Dell Optiplex 7010 8GB/1TB $330 at Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update: Things are working ok except the sound, and probably iMessage (I don't use it), and the occasional USB issue. I have found the the "USB Ownership" box under the PCI Settings of Clover helps fix the issue because of lack of "EHCI Handoff", or whatever it is called. My Brother HL-2240 printer works great. On the advice of the mod, I ordered a USB Sound device from Amazon. I will post once I get that. I am still learning and working with all of this.

In the future I may up the RAM to 16GB. I managed to cram a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD in this bad boy. The whole purpose of it is for school anyway. Once I get as comfortable with OS X as I used to be with Fedora Linux with Gnome (which is so much like Mac it is ridiculous), I will make my next Hackintosh a PLEX Server.

EDIT: I used Clover Configurator to make the "USB Ownership" change permanent and so far I have had no USB Mouse issues. I think this may be a good fix for the Dell Bios have no EHCI handoff.

Enclosed is my token screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.32.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.32.52 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I think I made the changes. I think that its before series 7 going by bios setting, I've attached the new ioreg. As always thanks in advance

Ioreg still shows EHC1, EHC2. Attach Clover folder removing Themes ZIP attach.

Latest update: Things are working ok except the sound, and probably iMessage (I don't use it), and the occasional USB issue. I have found the the "USB Ownership" box under the PCI Settings of Clover helps fix the issue because of lack of "EHCI Handoff", or whatever it is called. My Brother HL-2240 printer works great. On the advice of the mod, I ordered a USB Sound device from Amazon. I will post once I get that. I am still learning and working with all of this.

In the future I may up the RAM to 16GB. I managed to cram a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD in this bad boy. The whole purpose of it is for school anyway. Once I get as comfortable with OS X as I used to be with Fedora Linux with Gnome (which is so much like Mac it is ridiculous), I will make my next Hackintosh a PLEX Server.

EDIT: I used Clover Configurator to make the "USB Ownership" change permanent and so far I have had no USB Mouse issues. I think this may be a good fix for the Dell Bios have no EHCI handoff.

Enclosed is my token screenshot

You'd probably be better to patch ACPI.

Thanks for the update, arkieboy72472. When you say you are no longer having USB issues, does that mean you were able to turn USB 3 back on? (IIRC you had to turn it off before.)

Another question: What is the DIMM configuration that your system came with?

According to this thread, the 7010 does in fact work with up to 32GB of RAM (at least with Windows Pro 64-bit). http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19465534?pi21953=2

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, arkieboy72472. When you say you are no longer having USB issues, does that mean you were able to turn USB 3 back on? (IIRC you had to turn it off before.)

Another question: What is the DIMM configuration that your system came with?

According to this thread, the 7010 does in fact work with up to 32GB of RAM (at least with Windows Pro 64-bit). http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19465534?pi21953=2

First off, I found success with sound by using a guide over on ******. Follow this verbatum folks:

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4sil5p/audio_mechanic_old_patchfix_removal_applealc/

And yes, I have USB 3.0 back on, and the port works but I am not sure if the speed of it works. I can use pretty much any usb port. The issue, I think (by watching verbose mode) was EHCI handoff. In other words, the bios wasn't giving the OS permission to use the USB ports. That is fixed in clover using the "USB Ownership" thing under PCI, under settings. When I didn't tick it, the mouse wouldn't move upon the OS loading. When I did tick it, things worked. Using clover configurator allowed me to make that selection permanent. Use that powerful program with caution. Anyhow, I can use it for my mouse, keyboard, etc now.

My system has slots 0 and 2 populated with 4GB a piece. There is room for 8 more.

I am not buying into whether or not it works with 32GB or not. There is a lot of back and forth on it and whether it is true, I don't want to spend and find out. I will follow the tech specs and call it a day.

As far as I can tell, I now have zero issues. I may stumble upon something later, but now I know how to fix the USB, fix the sound (which was a bitch but worth it), make a clover selection permanent, use the EFI loader, and make this do what I want. I will say quite a bit of luck was involved though. much trial and error.

EDIT: when I say the audio works, I mean I have to use the front port (headphone jack). The rear is giving me issues because the system thinks I have internal audio or speakers, which I don't.

Last edited:

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 220
THanks. I thought I did make the changes in CC.

Attachments

• Alan’s iMac.ioreg
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back