Contribute
Register

Core I5-3470 Dell Optiplex 7010 8GB/1TB $330 at Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, So I just got a refurbished one of these off of Amazon for 199.99 with 8GB of RAM (that I plan to upgrade eventually) and a HDD that I will swap with a 1TB one. I have a few questions:

Should I use El Capitan or Sierra?

Are there any step by step or in depth guides for doing this I can follow specific to the machine or do I just use what is on this site?

Is there room in one of these things to cram an SSD and still keep your HDD and Optical drive?

Once the OS is installed and this thing wants to update, should I? If so, what is most likely to break? What are the fixes?
You got the i7 for $199? I just did the same thing but mine was $310. You can put 2 of the 2.5" drives in with an adaptor or just one 3.5" drive. The adaptor is about $6. I'm still trying to download a copy of sierra. Having problems since my early 2008 imac does not support sierra. Maybe I'll stick with El Capitan which is perfectly fine.

You got the i7 for $199? I just did the same thing but mine was $310. You can put 2 of the 2.5" drives in with an adaptor or just one 3.5" drive. The adaptor is about $6. I'm still trying to download a copy of sierra. Having problems since my early 2008 imac does not support sierra. Maybe I'll stick with El Capitan which is perfectly fine.

Yea dude. Check it out:

go here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNS33ME/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then click "used and new"

If you dont mind refurbs, you can grab one for cheap.

I was considering swaping out the HDD with a spare of mine that is 1TB. I also have a spare 128 GB SSD I got on amazon for maybe 50 bucks. I was thinking that would be a great idea. I will keep everyone posted.

Update #1

I placed my order on Amazon for the Dell 7010 i7 and decided to get a display port-to-usb adapter. The desktop supposedly comes with a mouse, keyboard, power cable, 8GB of Ram, and Windows 7 64 Bit loaded onto a 500GB HDD. I will probably just put a spare 1TB drive in there and start fresh. I really want to add an SSD, but I hear there may not be room for both. I do have a spare 128GB one, but I might want more space later.

While I wait for my new little desktop to come in, I am currently downloading El Capitan. Once it is done, I will get Unibeast and multi-beast and get this spare 16GB thumb drive ready to go. In the mean I will be studying any other information I can find to prepare myself installation day.

As things move along I will post here and give updates.

Long term, I plan on getting myself a nice keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Maybe I will max the RAM also. I wonder if an SSD can be crammed into such a small space....I can't afford a 500GB or 1TB one at this time.

Could you send me a link to the dual SSD Adapter? Also, will a sad work properly with trim and everything?

You can use either El Cap or Sierra and the standard installation guide. Make sure to create the Unibeast USB for UEFI booting and not legacy. The UEFI installs work the best. If your CPU doesn't have HD4000 then of course you need a compatible graphics card. If you want to go cheap the GT710 works best for Sierra and the GT610 for El Capitan. For audio use a 7 dollar USB audio adapter or try the latest Voodoo HDA if you want to go that route. Use search to see some of the older Optiplex 7010 guides that some have been written. Maybe you'll write up a newer 7010 install guide when you're done !

You can use either El Cap or Sierra and the standard installation guide. Make sure to create the Unibeast USB for UEFI booting and not legacy. The UEFI installs work the best. If your CPU doesn't have HD4000 then of course you need a compatible graphics card. If you want to go cheap the GT710 works best for Sierra and the GT610 for El Capitan. For audio use a 7 dollar USB audio adapter or try the latest Voodoo HDA if you want to go that route. Use search to see some of the older Optiplex 7010 guides that some have been written. Maybe you'll write up a newer 7010 install guide when you're done !
I will be glad to share my findings. What is this USB sound adapter you speak of and what does it do?

still have not gotten it to boot yet. I'm having "error loading operating system"
Put your hardware into your profile and then post in the Desktop Support forum for the version of OS X you are installing. :thumbup:
Fill Profile.jpg

Having trouble with USB. Sometimes the cable mouse/keyboard will work sometimes not. IF they dont work i have to unplug power and let it sit for awhile. I'm trying to get iogear 4 to work with apple wireless board and mouse. The only way I can get them to pair is to plug the iogear in after it boots to Sierra (will not work if plugged in before booting Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back