Contribute
Register

Considering doing a g5 mod, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 550 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys, I was thinking about doing a g5 case mod, but I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of roughly how much it will cost? Is there any way that I could cut out the old io panel and put a new one in? Would it be easiest to use one of the motherboard trays? I am completely new to this, but I want to give it a go. And what tools should I aquire before moving?

To start, here's a money saving tip that I found out. I've built two G5 mods.

Buy a complete G5, dead or alive as long as its cosmetically acceptable to your standard. Tearing it down be sure to save all parts, properly bag all screws and don't rip the welded standoffs off of the case wall until youre absolutely certain that each isn't required in its original location. Again, save them when u take them off. There's one very long screwdriver you'll need to get the heat sinks off, I forget the head, a torx I think. After careful disassembly, you can always sell excess parts if you want to recoup some cost. Having a complete set of screws and other parts at your disposal during your build is terrific, and allows you to be creative in using existing parts.

I paid 175 Cdn dollars for an absolutely pristine late 2005 G5. Completely operational and not a mark on it.

When looking at the G5 before purchase, make sure the front power panel has an 18-pin cable attached. If there's no cable, that means its a late 2005 model and you'll have to buy an older front panel separately. It'll cost you about thirty bucks, so consider that prior to purchase. My late 2005 case required the older panel.

This is a start, take your time and enjoy every step, from purchase all the way to its first boot!

Good Luck...

In terms of tools, the main things you need are metal working tools, the biggest expense being a dremel for cutting. And possibly a soldering iron, if you are going to some internal re-wiring.

When you are buying tools don't forget that they will be somewhat of an investment, they will be at your disposal for all of your future projects. So with that being said I tend to buy tools that will last and are well made.

The biggest thing I would say about the project would be to take your time. When you rush mistakes can be made, so measure a billion times.

And as for a case I feel like I got a steal, I paid $200 CDN for a 100% working machine with mouse, keyboard and a 20" cinema display.

Pretty much what the others said :)

I haven't started my mod yet but I've been researching for months and stockpiling bits and pieces I think I'll need.

Case prices can vary depending on condition and what's left inside them. Obviously you'll pay more for a functioning G5 than one that's for sale as spares or repairs.

I've bought 3 in total and actually got a decent bargain each time. The going-rate on ebay for a 'dead' G5 is about £70-80 here in the UK (based on completed ebay auctions that I was watching).

Just recently I managed to bag one for £38. Case was in great condition too so there are definitely bargains to be had if you're lucky.

I managed to win an auction for 2 G5's for about £80 though it was over a year ago now - unfortunately they both got completely mangled in transit by the couriers. I got all my money back though and got to keep the cases! This was pretty frustrating at the time but now I've got a decent case I'm happy things panned out the way they did as I have loads of spare material to get creative with. My advice is pick up the computer yourself if at all possible, courier accidents and G5's are a frequent occurrence!

As for mounting your mobo. A custom tray and backplate like the one's the Lazer Hive produce are without doubt the easiest methods (and one of the better looking rear panels IMO). The tray is designed to fit the existing standoffs in your G5 meaning no JB welding etc. They are relatively expensive (compared to a Lian Li tray or salvaging from another case) but you're getting a custom designed piece of kit, a decent amount of customer support and giving your business to an independent manufacturer so I personally think its a great option. To get a mountain mods tray (which still requires a lot of work to fit) shipped to the UK for example is about on par (if not a bit more) than the cost of a LH custom kit.

Going the DIY tray and backplate route (using salvaged parts etc) is probably going to work out the cheapest option but it means a lot more can go wrong when locating the correct position for your mobo etc. Guess it all depends where you're confidence level is at! :)

Good luck anyway and don't forget to start a build log if you do go ahead with the mod! :)

Thanks guys for all of the tips, I appreciate it. I found a clean looking case for around $75, but it is just the case. Should I pick it up, or pass?

I think I got mine for around $30 shipped (it was "for parts" and didn't include HDD, ODD or RAM) on ebay so you may want to keep looking. I think I got pretty lucky though.

Thanks guys for all of the tips, I appreciate it. I found a clean looking case for around $75, but it is just the case. Should I pick it up, or pass?

A complete or dead G5 will have the following parts that you'll probably have to buy at a premium price and pay shipping on top.

1. Screws (these aren't cheap)
2. Power Supply
3. Fan enclosures
4. HDD bay

The frustrating part is getting to a point where you realize you need something that you don't have, then having to find it, order it, pay for it and finally; wait for it.

Been there, done that. Was WAYYY easier to have the complete G5 ripped down at my disposal.

Just my 2 cents.

I've gotten 2 of them off of craigslist for about $50 a pop. One was functional except for the DVD drive but I told the guy he could take out any parts he wanted if he sold it to me for my price, he ended up taking the crappy graphics card and DDR memory LOL. The second one had a bad PSU I believe but was otherwise 100% complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back