CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all. Been researching Hackintoshes for months now. Finally to a point where I'm ready to make a move. I really value your input and advice. Here's my situation:

I'm a Pro user. I need a powerful video editing machine. For around $1500, I can build a kickass machine from the "Pro Build" buyers guide list. For that same amount (or a little more), I can buy a 3-year-old Mac Pro that is probably a lot slower.

I need a machine I can put a eSATA card in, maybe a Firewire card, as well as a Matrox card for my video output. In a Mac Pro, I can put these 3rd party cards in with no trouble. That's something to consider.

1) Once I get a hackintosh up and running, using approved parts, and following the instructions from previous users, how reliable will it be in a professional environment. Is this a machine I can use with clients in the room without worrying about a kernel panic or crashing?

2) Once the machine is up and running, will I be able to add in the 3rd party video output or eSATA cards without issue?

3) Should I just buy the used Mac Pro but get a lot less bang for my buck?

1. yes
2. yes - if it will work in a Mac Pro, it will work here
3. whatever you feel most comfortable with

I was in the same position as you a year ago. I opted to build my own Hackintosh. It has been rock solid reliable. What is a kernel panic? LOL

Seriously, if you do the research on this site, get recommended parts, your system will be as solid as a Mac Pro.

if randoms are gonna use it, hide the extra folder

if randoms are gonna use it, hide the extra folder

and get Apple keyboard, mouse and trackpad - put the "box" in a cabinet, safely out of sight (or mod a G5 or Mac Pro case) :mrgreen::lol:

The CustoBuild parts list doesn't give the option for a dual-proc machine. Do you know of anyone that's built something like that with relatively current processors? I've seen a couple posts online about some beast of a computer thats WAY MORE than I need. If this isn't viable, then I might just pass on it. Just curious though.

A few questions about performance and parts:

1) I was looking into building a machine with the
Intel Core i7-3930K. This would undoubtedly perform better than my current 2 x 3Ghz Dual-Core Xeon Mac Pro from 2006 right?

2) However, I'm really interested in having Thunderbolt on my machine, but that would mean going with a LGA 1155 proc. Any opinions on how much performance I'd be sacrificing compared to one of the Socket 2011 builds with a Xeon or
i7-3960X to do that?

Thanks again for your advice. You guys rock.

Uli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back