1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have been bashing my head against the wall on this one for a long time.
I have the problem where my LCD TV display resolution is messed up. at 1080p it either shows black borders all the way around with overscan turned off or the image is too big to fit the screen with overscan turned on. In both cases the quality is... "crunchy"

The problem is that the solution is to change the settings on my tv to "Just scan" or "1:1 Scaling" (On my TV is is called "Unscaled") which is unavailable because the tv is not registering the source as a PC. On the same computer with windows installed this problem is nonexistent.
I have had this problem since I first installed snow leopard on this computer.
I am currently running El Capitan.
It has had a few different video cards with the same problem but it currently has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630.

is there some way I can tweak what kind of identifying information OS X is sending to the TV?
Could I use the Pulse Eight USB CEC adapter with LibCEC to do that?

I have been playing around with cables and configuration a bit. I noticed that during boot the tv recognizes the pc input and allows me to choose the unscaled option. However, once it is fully booted it reverts to the regular settings. I hooked the tv to my genuine macbook pro to the tv with a rocket fish thunderbolt adapter to a dvi to hdmi cable. this actually gave me the under scan slider. I bet there is something in the graphics handling.

I have a newer build with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. the problem appears to be the same but the TV that it is hooked to has greater flexibility and i was able to choose the input type. once i chose PC the problem was solved.

I'll keep digging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back