Graphics
EVGA GTX 770 2GB Sc
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I have a question related to the GTX 980, if I would wish to upgrade from my current GTX 770 would the GTX 980 work as in the drivers from Nvidia website (Official Drivers) is what I mean.
Since for example to get the GTX 770 running in Premiere Pro I had to play around with Terminal and edit the supported GPU's text file so that the program ready it but since there are official drivers for GTX 980 would the card be fully supported and work without any issues?
So far I heard that the performance is great on benchmarks but how well does it do in media editing?
By the way I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.5, I had some random freezes when rendering intensive videos made in after effects...

Hi, I have a question related to the GTX 980, if I would wish to upgrade from my current GTX 770 would the GTX 980 work as in the drivers from Nvidia website (Official Drivers) is what I mean.
Since for example to get the GTX 770 running in Premiere Pro I had to play around with Terminal and edit the supported GPU's text file so that the program ready it but since there are official drivers for GTX 980 would the card be fully supported and work without any issues?
So far I heard that the performance is great on benchmarks but how well does it do in media editing?
By the way I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.5, I had some random freezes when rendering intensive videos made in after effects...

Install GTX9809 web drivers for the version of Yosemite you are running. Install the CUDA drivers also if you want. open the nVidia control panel and select to use the nVidia web driver. Shut down, swap cards, boot back up.

So if I wish to update I would have to download the Nvidia drivers, and physically dismount my GTX 770 and install the new GTX 980 and power on my Hackintosh in order it to work?
So after your after that my future GTX 980 should be fully compatible with my Hackintosh and working to its best potential not particularly in gaming but After Effects and other media editing softwareS, Yes?

Mate GTX 980 is Maxwell Card check this out:" All of the GeForce 'Maxwell' based graphics cards listed here besides the GeForce 'Kepler' based GT 740 require alternate NVIDIA graphics drivers to enable full acceleration. See here for details. Please note these cards will only work with OS X Yosemite."

I was with GTX 760 working out of the box , now I'm using GTX 970 and having hard times running it under mac you gonna need boot flags then sometimes you gonna get black screens not output after some Nvidia updates i.e. it is not great supported. Please someone from the forum to tell me if I'm wrong, I'm saying this from expiriance. :D
Cheers

So if I wish to update I would have to download the Nvidia drivers, and physically dismount my GTX 770 and install the new GTX 980 and power on my Hackintosh in order it to work?
So after your after that my future GTX 980 should be fully compatible with my Hackintosh and working to its best potential not particularly in gaming but After Effects and other media editing softwareS, Yes?
No, you boot with the 770, install the web drivers first, then select to use them from the nVidia panel in Preferences. Then you shut down, swap cards and boot back up with the 980.

If you are wanting to run with both cards installed not sure if this will work without some juggling with apps and settings in UEFI. I don't run with mismatched cards, so have no advice there to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back