Contribute
Register

Combined U310/U410 Mavericks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, here is the original

The GFX0 -> IGPU rename tripped you up. You have to be a little bit careful with that one, commenting out patches that don't make sense or cause errors. That one is a little difficult to code for all scenarios, but I continue to tweak it.

Hi there, I'm reading that you have 100% working power management on ivy bridge but can I please ask what is the lower end multiplier that your system is normally using when idle? I'm having this problem on my lenovo ivy bridge t431.
http://www.osx86.net/topic/19566-ivy-bridge-p-states-working-but-not-as-they-should/

Thanks for letting me know!
Sergio
Post IOreg see: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

As far as what I get I have an i7-3537U and the lower end state is 8. To be honest I have not monitored it enough to know which state is the "preferred" state.

Hey there, I had a few questions...I have the u410 i7-3537U processor model, 8gb ram, Windows 8 stock, etc.

1. I was wondering are you dual booting with windows 8? Currently I managed to sort of get mavericks to work but I have it installed on a external hard drive. I am hesitant to dual boot, because my first attempt a couple months ago, had broken my bios (i assume because i forgot to turn off UEFI boot before installing os x , but thanks to the bios link here, my bios is now working!!)....So im wondering is it safe to dual boot?

Edit: I am sure the windows 8 installation is UEFI. Since there is a partition called EFI.

2. Mavericks won't boot up unless I boot up in safe made and with the following bootflags
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660003 -x -v[/COLOR]

will I always have to do this or is there a way around this?

Previously I had ML installed on the same external hard drive and i was able to boot without any bootflags.

3. DSDT Patches you mention, do I just simply copy and past them into my dsdt, or is more modification needed?(I've never done any dsdt editing)

Sorry for all the questions. I tried to do it all by my own, but at this point, the only way I can step forward is with some assistance. Any help would be appreciated! Have a great day!

Hey there, I had a few questions...I have the u410 i7-3537U processor model, 8gb ram, Windows 8 stock, etc.

1. I was wondering are you dual booting with windows 8? Currently I managed to sort of get mavericks to work but I have it installed on a external hard drive. I am hesitant to dual boot, because my first attempt a couple months ago, had broken my bios (i assume because i forgot to turn off UEFI boot before installing os x , but thanks to the bios link here, my bios is now working!!)....So im wondering is it safe to dual boot?

Edit: I am sure the windows 8 installation is UEFI. Since there is a partition called EFI.

2. Mavericks won't boot up unless I boot up in safe made and with the following bootflags
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660003 -x -v[/COLOR]

will I always have to do this or is there a way around this?

Previously I had ML installed on the same external hard drive and i was able to boot without any bootflags.

3. DSDT Patches you mention, do I just simply copy and past them into my dsdt, or is more modification needed?(I've never done any dsdt editing)

Sorry for all the questions. I tried to do it all by my own, but at this point, the only way I can step forward is with some assistance. Any help would be appreciated! Have a great day!

I am glad that the BIOS linked helped someone else because I also had problems with it some time ago. I found the only soluton was to reflash the bios but there was no BIOS available until now (although Lenovo has taken the link down from their site).

The bootflags are required until you patch your DSDT. DSDT patching is easy since MaciASL can extract the DSDT from inside OS X. MaciASL is the software you want to use to extract and patch your DSDT. It will handle applying the patches that it can access from repositories.

I am multibooting Windows 7, Windows 8, Mavericks, and Ubuntu 13.10. Keep in mind that you will need to address the boot0 error, as well as the fact that Chimera/Chameleon can not boot UEFI installations (Windows or Linux). There is also Clover UEFI bootloader, but also keep in mind it is newer and there is less support for using it.

Tell me is the -x really required for you to boot? Use the same arguments that you posted above without the -x and see if it boots..

I'm not sure that is a definite way to determine if it is UEFI installation, although I suspect that it is.Nevermind, if the EFI partition is visible to Windows on the disk it is installed to this would mean that it is a UEFI install.

A definite way is to see if the partition style is GPT because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk if it is a UEFI installation. (Clarification, technically we install Windows to a GPT disk for dual booting OS X, but we use a PBR, which "prevents" Windows from "seeing" the GPT. )

You can do this easily if you open up an admin command prompt from windows and type "diskpart" press enter, then at this diskpart prompt type "list disk" if there is an asterisk under GPT for your disk then it is a UEFI installation.

I was wondering are you dual booting with windows 8? Currently I managed to sort of get mavericks to work but I have it installed on a external hard drive. I am hesitant to dual boot, because my first attempt a couple months ago, had broken my bios (i assume because i forgot to turn off UEFI boot before installing os x , but thanks to the bios link here, my bios is now working!!)....So im wondering is it safe to dual boot?

Just to elaborate on this, I don't think your BIOS was broken from OS X, but from using Windows Recovery, likely after having problems booting when you were trying to get OS X to boot from an internal disk.

Is the Intel Firmware raid still present/valid on your device? You can go into BIOS to check under Configuration - > Intel Rapid Start Technology. If [DISABLED] then no worries, if [ENABLED] what is the iRST Partition Status?

Is the One Key Recovery partition still valid? Power off the system press the "Novo" button and choose System Recovery, does it just reboot? If it does go to the OKR utility choose whatever the appropriate options are to exit OKR and reboot.

Just to elaborate on this, I don't think your BIOS was broken from OS X, but from using Windows Recovery, likely after having problems booting when you were trying to get OS X to boot from an internal disk.

Is the Intel Firmware raid still present/valid on your device? You can go into BIOS to check under Configuration - > Intel Rapid Start Technology. If [DISABLED] then no worries, if [ENABLED] what is the iRST Partition Status?

Is the One Key Recovery partition still valid? Power off the system press the "Novo" button and choose System Recovery, does it just reboot? If it does go to the OKR utility choose whatever the appropriate options are to exit OKR and reboot.

Appreciate all the answers.

1. What do you recommend installing with clover or reinstalling windows 8, in legacy mode? Or is there a way to convert UEFI into legacy? (I know there is legacy to UEFI, but dunno if viceversa)

2. Good news, after using multibeast to reinstall the kexts you mentioned in the main post, I no longer need to boot with "-x"

3. Intel Rapid Start is enabled. ( Although it was previously disabled, I'm sure it enabled when the bios was flashed)
The iRST Partition Status is "established"

4. And the One Key system recovery does work. (Although it did not work, previously to flashing the bios, it would just restart as you mentioned, but all is working fine.)

EDIT: After doing all the DSDT patches, I still have to use the bootflags mentioned to boot. :/
If i don't i just end up with a black screen.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot, forgot to point the bootloader to the DSDT, it now boots with no flags ^.^. Also my Dlink - DWA-160 (usb wireless adapter) started working after the dsdt was patched. Thank you! Really appreciated the help. (oh but one thing that wasnt working is the camera, its not being detected. in ML it was)

Edit 3: Minor annoying thing, the little ball on my mouse is not reversed, when i go up the page scrolls down and when i scroll down the page goes up. xD

Now hopefully I can dual boot. I assume booting off a external usb harddrive slows down performance.

Appreciate all the answers.

1. What do you recommend installing with clover or reinstalling windows 8, in legacy mode? Or is there a way to convert UEFI into legacy? (I know there is legacy to UEFI, but dunno if viceversa)

2. Good news, after using multibeast to reinstall the kexts you mentioned in the main post, I no longer need to boot with "-x"
It might be due to the fact that you are booting to a USB hard drive, but I have never had to use safe mode ( -x ), installation or otherwise. Glad to hear that you got it all working though. As far as what I recommend, I guess for now I'd recommend Chameleon/Chimera (Chimera is a tonymac fork of the Chameleon project). You can use clover but it does have some "magic" that I don't completely understand. I boot with clover from time to time using USB. I use it get iMessage working, although there are other methods. Rehabman has a "blog" you can read, I used it as a guide to set up my multiboot configuration. The link for it is located in his signature. It is a guide for legacy installations. I had a few issues starting out but it stemmed from the fact that it always seemed to want to boot UEFI (and my BIOS was broken at the time so I had trouble selecting the boot device). Anyway, a trick I used to be sure that I booted legacy was to remove the Bootx64.efi and EFI folder from my USB installation media (backup somewhere so you can put it back if needed).

Update: You could always move to a UEFI based set-up after you have established a basic understanding of how everything works with with Chameleon. Eventually I will get around to posting Clover information. This thread is kind of a work in progress, and I will use the information from the correspondences here to update the first post that will help other users. I would be willing to help you with Clover, however, it is probably best to use Chameleon to start. I think learning with Chameleon is a great way to understand exactly what is happening, what is being loaded at boot, where it is loaded from, etc. Clover has features where it will automatically patch your DSDT, patch kexts, and if you don't understand all of it, it might being doing something you aren't aware of. Therefore, I think its often better/easier to actually isolate and resolve problems using Chameleon/Chimera before migrating to a Clover setup.

3. Intel Rapid Start is enabled. ( Although it was previously disabled, I'm sure it enabled when the bios was flashed)
The iRST Partition Status is "established"

4. And the One Key system recovery does work. (Although it did not work, previously to flashing the bios, it would just restart as you mentioned, but all is working fine.)
Because the OKR parition is still valid, you're in luck, if you haven't already done so get a external USB hard drive and make recovery media from inside Windows, choose to copy the recovery partition to this drive, because when you re-partition the disk to set-up for installation of OS X it is going to break the Intel Firmware Raid (iRST Partition) and the OKR partition will be removed. So back it up, otherwise you will need to order recovery media from Lenovo ~$50 USD if you ever wanted to restore OKR functionality. After you break iRST simply disable it in the BIOS.
EDIT: After doing all the DSDT patches, I still have to use the bootflags mentioned to boot. :/
If i don't i just end up with a black screen.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot, forgot to point the bootloader to the DSDT, it now boots with no flags ^.^. Also my Dlink - DWA-160 (usb wireless adapter) started working after the dsdt was patched. Thank you! Really appreciated the help. (oh but one thing that wasnt working is the camera, its not being detected. in ML it was)

Edit 3: Minor annoying thing, the little ball on my mouse is not reversed, when i go up the page scrolls down and when i scroll down the page goes up. xD

Now hopefully I can dual boot. I assume booting off a external usb harddrive slows down performance.
The scrolling behavior is native to OS X, if you go into System Preferences you can reverse it by deselecting natural scrolling in the Mouse preference pane. That is odd that the camera is not detected, I suspect something is not quite right with your DSDT patching. If you want me to take a look at everything, upload a copy of your IOReg and I can review everything you have done. See the guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

It might be due to the fact that you are booting to a USB hard drive, but I have never had to use safe mode ( -x ), installation or otherwise. Glad to hear that you got it all working though. As far as what I recommend, I guess for now I'd recommend Chameleon/Chimera (Chimera is a tonymac fork of the Chameleon project). You can use clover but it does have some "magic" that I don't completely understand. I boot with clover from time to time using USB. I use it get iMessage working, although there are other methods. Rehabman has a "blog" you can read, I used it as a guide to set up my multiboot configuration. The link for it is located in his signature. It is a guide for legacy installations. I had a few issues starting out but it stemmed from the fact that it always seemed to want to boot UEFI (and my BIOS was broken at the time so I had trouble selecting the boot device). Anyway, a trick I used to be sure that I booted legacy was to remove the Bootx64.efi and EFI folder from my USB installation media (backup somewhere so you can put it back if needed).

Update: You could always move to a UEFI based set-up after you have established a basic understanding of how everything works with with Chameleon. Eventually I will get around to posting Clover information. This thread is kind of a work in progress, and I will use the information from the correspondences here to update the first post that will help other users. I would be willing to help you with Clover, however, it is probably best to use Chameleon to start. I think learning with Chameleon is a great way to understand exactly what is happening, what is being loaded at boot, where it is loaded from, etc. Clover has features where it will automatically patch your DSDT, patch kexts, and if you don't understand all of it, it might being doing something you aren't aware of. Therefore, I think its often better/easier to actually isolate and resolve problems using Chameleon/Chimera before migrating to a Clover setup.

Sounds good then, I will be going with a legacy installation then with Chimera(Chameleon) to be on the safe side. By the way I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and help out.

When you say "remove the Bootx64.efi and EFI folder from USB installation" are you talking about the windows 8 install usb?

Also after reading rehabmans tutorial, I am assuming you Wiped clean(formatted) your whole harddrive am i correct? This will leave 1 blank partition that will be cut into the partitions needed for W8 and OSx right? When the whole harddrive gets formatted, does the bios stay intact? (losing the bios is my biggest fear, especially if i will no longer have windows to boot into)

Because the OKR parition is still valid, you're in luck, if you haven't already done so get a external USB hard drive and make recovery media from inside Windows, choose to copy the recovery partition to this drive, because when you re-partition the disk to set-up for installation of OS X it is going to break the Intel Firmware Raid (iRST Partition) and the OKR partition will be removed. So back it up, otherwise you will need to order recovery media from Lenovo ~$50 USD if you ever wanted to restore OKR functionality. After you break iRST simply disable it in the BIOS.
Create a System Image right?

The scrolling behavior is native to OS X, if you go into System Preferences you can reverse it by deselecting natural scrolling in the Mouse preference pane. That is odd that the camera is not detected, I suspect something is not quite right with your DSDT patching. If you want me to take a look at everything, upload a copy of your IOReg and I can review everything you have done. See the guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html
Ah thanks! So used to windows based scrolling x) I attached my IOReg, I really appreciate you taking the time once again! View attachment IOReg-Fallenpeace.ioreg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back