Contribute
Register

Combined U310/U410 Mavericks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good then, I will be going with a legacy installation then with Chimera(Chameleon) to be on the safe side. By the way I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and help out.
You're welcome. This was all fairly new to me too, not so long ago I might add.
When you say "remove the Bootx64.efi and EFI folder from USB installation" are you talking about the windows 8 install usb?
Yes, and/or Linux installation media. (It is useful to have a linux install sometimes for data collection that you might otherwise be unable to obtain, but you can always use live USB media also.) You need the Linux media to format NTFS to setup the partition for Windows anyway, so you might as well...
Create a System Image right?
Here is what you want to do, at the start screen type "Recovery" to search, click settings, then click the open "Create a recovery drive" from this point, make sure that the option "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" is selected. You can make a system image if you want. Remember to backup any files that you want to keep before partitioning and/or formatting your disk.
Also after reading rehabmans tutorial, I am assuming you Wiped clean(formatted) your whole harddrive am i correct? This will leave 1 blank partition that will be cut into the partitions needed for W8 and OSx right? When the whole harddrive gets formatted, does the bios stay intact? (losing the bios is my biggest fear, especially if i will no longer have windows to boot into)
Yes, I repartitioned my disk. Formatting and partitioning are two different processes; The BIOS is stored on a special piece of flash memory (a small chip) it is not affected by partitioning your hard disk.
!!
I forgot to add, because of the mSATA SSD, OS X disk utility will try to partition the disk to use fusion drive, but it won't work properly. You'll have to use the command line diskutil to partition not the "Disk Utility" program.
!!
Here is how to use the command line tool:
Boot the OS X install media, launch the terminal. invoke "diskutil list" this will list your disk so you can determine which disk you want to partition (disk0 disk1) for me, the 1TB HDD is disk1. This is the format of the command to invoke to partition the disk, modify it as you want.
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT MS-DOS WIN7 20% MS-DOS WIN8 20% MS-DOS XFR 20% JHFS+ OSX 20% MS-DOS UBUNTU 20%
For example if you want just Win 8, Transfer, and OS X partition, you would use this:
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT MS-DOS WIN8 40% MS-DOS XFR 20% JHFS+ OSX 40%
Adjust the percentages as you want. Boot to your Linux installation media to format the Win8 partition NTFS, then use gptsync as described by Rehabman to fix the PBR.

I had trouble with step 30 on Rehabmans blog because I couldn't get gptsync to copy to the USB. Change the command to "sudo /sbin/gptsync /dev/sda" (I'm pretty sure the 1TB drive is going to be sdb not sda so just read his guide carefully you want be sure to sync the correct device.) After that command it should say it needs to be updated, and ask your permission to do it, Y.

You can also use gparted to change the partition labels. I changed the filesystem on my XFR partition to ex-fat later after successfully installing all the OS's. (I'm sure you could make it EXFAT to begin with but I don't know the command, may it is just exfat.. but I just left it alone until I was done my installs).

If the Windows installer tell you its going to make other partitions something isn't right. I found that it often tried to put some kind of partition on the mSATA SSD, a work around for this might be to make sure its GPT. Legacy installation shouldn't touch GPT. (Example: diskutil partitionDisk disk0 GPT JHFS+ OSX 100%).

Here is also a tip know if you've booted the Windows installer legacy, if the loading screen at boot is blue with the spinning circle, it legacy. Its its black and says Lenovo with a spinning circle its UEFI. Another tip, when booted to the Windows Installer, shift+f10 open a command prompt, you can use "diskpart" then "list disk" to get a better idea of what windows "see's" pertaining to the drives..

You might also find my ML thread useful, it is from my first time so there is some misinformation here and there but I tried to document as much as I could through my troubleshooting process. (How stupid the first couple of posts sound to me at this point are unbelievable LOL). I think around post 120 is where I started over fresh, you might read on from there. I wouldn't trust anything before that point.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-laptop-support/111458-u410-kp-after-boot.html

I typed this in kind of a rush let me know if anything is unclear.

Pertinent BIOS settings:
Legacy support, Legacy first
Legacy USB Emulation Disabled
Graphics UMA Only
iRST Disabled

You're welcome. This was all fairly new to me too, not so long ago I might add.

Yes, and/or Linux installation media. (It is useful to have a linux install sometimes for data collection that you might otherwise be unable to obtain, but you can always use live USB media also.) You need the Linux media to format NTFS to setup the partition for Windows anyway, so you might as well...

Here is what you want to do, at the start screen type "Recovery" to search, click settings, then click the open "Create a recovery drive" from this point, make sure that the option "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" is selected. You can make a system image if you want. Remember to backup any files that you want to keep before partitioning and/or formatting your disk.

Yes, I repartitioned my disk. Formatting and partitioning are two different processes; The BIOS is stored on a special piece of flash memory (a small chip) it is not affected by partitioning your hard disk.
!!
I forgot to add, because of the mSATA SSD, OS X disk utility will try to partition the disk to use fusion drive, but it won't work properly. You'll have to use the command line diskutil to partition not the "Disk Utility" program.
!!
Here is how to use the command line tool:
Boot the OS X install media, launch the terminal. invoke "diskutil list" this will list your disk so you can determine which disk you want to partition (disk0 disk1) for me, the 1TB HDD is disk1. This is the format of the command to invoke to partition the disk, modify it as you want.
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT MS-DOS WIN7 20% MS-DOS WIN8 20% MS-DOS XFR 20% JHFS+ OSX 20% MS-DOS UBUNTU 20%
For example if you want just Win 8, Transfer, and OS X partition, you would use this:
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT MS-DOS WIN8 40% MS-DOS XFR 20% JHFS+ OSX 40%
Adjust the percentages as you want. Boot to your Linux installation media to format the Win8 partition NTFS, then use gptsync as described by Rehabman to fix the PBR.

I had trouble with step 30 on Rehabmans blog because I couldn't get gptsync to copy to the USB. Change the command to "sudo /sbin/gptsync /dev/sda" (I'm pretty sure the 1TB drive is going to be sdb not sda so just read his guide carefully you want be sure to sync the correct device.) After that command it should say it needs to be updated, and ask your permission to do it, Y.

You can also use gparted to change the partition labels. I changed the filesystem on my XFR partition to ex-fat later after successfully installing all the OS's. (I'm sure you could make it EXFAT to begin with but I don't know the command, may it is just exfat.. but I just left it alone until I was done my installs).

If the Windows installer tell you its going to make other partitions something isn't right. I found that it often tried to put some kind of partition on the mSATA SSD, a work around for this might be to make sure its GPT. Legacy installation shouldn't touch GPT. (Example: diskutil partitionDisk disk0 GPT JHFS+ OSX 100%).

Here is also a tip know if you've booted the Windows installer legacy, if the loading screen at boot is blue with the spinning circle, it legacy. Its its black and says Lenovo with a spinning circle its UEFI. Another tip, when booted to the Windows Installer, shift+f10 open a command prompt, you can use "diskpart" then "list disk" to get a better idea of what windows "see's" pertaining to the drives..

You might also find my ML thread useful, it is from my first time so there is some misinformation here and there but I tried to document as much as I could through my troubleshooting process. (How stupid the first couple of posts sound to me at this point are unbelievable LOL). I think around post 120 is where I started over fresh, you might read on from there. I wouldn't trust anything before that point.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-laptop-support/111458-u410-kp-after-boot.html

I typed this in kind of a rush let me know if anything is unclear.

Pertinent BIOS settings:
Legacy support, Legacy first
Legacy USB Emulation Disabled
Graphics UMA Only
iRST Disabled

Wow I really appreciate the detailed answers! Have no school tomorrow, so Looks like tomorrow ill be buying an extra external hard drive to make a full system image, and atleast 4 other flash drives, 1 for the recovery backup, and the others for the install media. And giving this a go! Really appreciate it. I Will report back with a successful build or with a troublesome one x).

One quick question, since my u410 came with windows 8 preinstalled, its an OEM version and the key is bundled inside the bios, when i go to reinstall windows 8 (.1), will I face any problems doing so? Since the copy im using to install windows 8 is a Retail version? (This retail copy is from my student Dreamspark (MSDN) account So it was free ^.^)
OR
Is there a way i can reinstall the OEM version of this windows?

Does anyone know why my battery would be stuck at 59% and state that the battery is not charging even though it is plugged in?

Does anyone know why my battery would be stuck at 59% and state that the battery is not charging even though it is plugged in?

Is this when you are booted in os x?
If so, did you install the power management kext and the dsdt edits OP mentioned? Those fixed my battery issues. (os x would say the battery was disconnected and wouldn't detect the plug either)

As for the 59%, I have no idea of whats the main issue with that. I know when booted in windows if the power management is set to the minimum, the battery does not charge more than 60%. Maybe check your power settings in mac os x?

Yea I did all that stuff in the beginning when I first set up my system.

One quick question, since my u410 came with windows 8 preinstalled, its an OEM version and the key is bundled inside the bios, when i go to reinstall windows 8 (.1), will I face any problems doing so? Since the copy im using to install windows 8 is a Retail version? (This retail copy is from my student Dreamspark (MSDN) account So it was free ^.^)
OR
Is there a way i can reinstall the OEM version of this windows?

I believe that you would need to purchase a single language version of Windows 8 OEM for System Builders to activate with the bios key. Then again, I don't know if Lenovo used the single language version or not. I'm not sure (I haven't upgraded) but the BIOS key/slic probably won't activate 8.1 without upgrading after first installing Windows 8.

There is a sysprepped Windows Image file (.WIM) located on the recovery partition (that you backed up). It may be hidden but it *should* be there. You *should* be able to install/apply the image using Microsoft's tools. Cons-- you get Lenovo bloatware, Pros---all your drivers are already installed, you already have the image, activates with OEM SLIC.

Inside Windows 8, the Lenovo Energy Management software has settings for battery that will affect this. There are two modes for battery, maximum battery health or maximum battery life. See what you currently have set and switch it, then boot to OS X, I suspect your battery will charge to 100%.

I believe that you would need to purchase a single language version of Windows 8 OEM for System Builders to activate with the bios key. Then again, I don't know if Lenovo used the single language version or not. I'm not sure (I haven't upgraded) but the BIOS key/slic probably won't activate 8.1 without upgrading after first installing Windows 8.

There is a sysprepped Windows Image file (.WIM) located on the recovery partition (that you backed up). It may be hidden but it *should* be there. You *should* be able to install/apply the image using Microsoft's tools. Cons-- you get Lenovo bloatware, Pros---all your drivers are already installed, you already have the image, activates with OEM SLIC.

I managed to install windows 8.1, okay so i got pretty far last night and both windows and mac os x were booting perfectly fine
but i guess i mistyped a command on ubuntu and it wiped my drive :/

Now I'm having major problems, first windows wouldnt install because it said "it couldnt install on GPT drive"

Somehow it fixed and i managed to install.

Now I managed to install mac os x but i get a kernel panic :/

"kernel extensions in backtrace com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement"

I've already installed multibeats kexts (although the powermanagement kext you mentioned, is not in multibeast o_O?) and i did the dsdt patch and it wont boot up :/ only in safe mode.

I managed to install windows 8.1, okay so i got pretty far last night and both windows and mac os x were booting perfectly fine
but i guess i mistyped a command on ubuntu and it wiped my drive :/

Now I'm having major problems, first windows wouldnt install because it said "it couldnt install on GPT drive"

Somehow it fixed and i managed to install.

Now I managed to install mac os x but i get a kernel panic :/

"kernel extensions in backtrace com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement"

I've already installed multibeats kexts (although the powermanagement kext you mentioned, is not in multibeast o_O?) and i did the dsdt patch and it wont boot up :/ only in safe mode.

Without seeing a photo, no one can be sure, but you probably need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. It is in Multibeast. It is probably worthwhile working through the rest of the power management checklist: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

Without seeing a photo, no one can be sure, but you probably need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. It is in Multibeast. It is probably worthwhile working through the rest of the power management checklist: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

Thanks you for the link!

I am using MultiBeast - Mavericks 6.0.1 , but when i navigate to Drivers & Bootloaders -> Drivers -> System -> (there is no Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) folder, only the trim enabler one.

Wish i would have taken a picture, formated everything and started over :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back