Contribute
Register

Cinema Display not detected GTX 980 latest web drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I wouldn't buy something like that.

I suggest pulling one of the cards, plugging a working monitor in to a DVI port and then the Cinema Display into the DP on the remaining card. A single GTX 980 should be able to drive 4 displays. Display port certainly works with Maxwell cards and the web drivers, it is what I am using for my Dell Ultrasharp.

Hmmm, hadn't thought to try it out on a single card, I'll try it tonight when I get home from work. Yeah I have the Dell Ultrasharp U27 model but plugged in via DVI atm. Hypothetically speaking, if this solution works, is there a way of disabling the second card without physically pulling it? I use SLI when I dual boot windows for gaming, would be quite the headache to be plugging in a second card every time I boot windows ..

There is no reason this monitor shouldn't work. However, some monitors (for example when mine is set to displayport 1.2), go to sleep at some point during the boot. From your description, this could be what happens with this one. The only solution I know of is to just turn the monitor off and on again, the computer should redetect it. It could also depend on how many monitors in total are connected.

Interesting .. Annoyingly with the cinema display, it's rather difficult to tell if it's in sleep or off. I've had it be the only monitor that's plugged in, turned on and off (by re-plugging in the AC plug) and disconnecting and reconnecting the display port cable. Neither of those ways made the OS detect the display. If it is doing this "go to sleep", it's doing it right before the login screen loads, the display is fine all the way through boot and the white apple loading screen. Got any ideas?

Appreciate the help from you both :headbang:

I had this issue you're describing. I ended up changing to a iMac 13,2 (or 12,2) sys definition. I had it on macpro (2013) model and it wouldn't work right with the Cinema Display.

Oh awesome .. sliver of hope then .. when i get home, i'll try switching our the system profile to what you have and cross my fingers. you also have a gtx 980?

No. I have 2x780's but the issue you're describing bout the screen sleeping before log in with my Cinema Display was incompatible with my mac pro (6, xx) setting. I can't remember what I've got my iMac on, I think it's 12, 2 but try 12 or 13. What's your current sys def?

No. I have 2x780's but the issue you're describing bout the screen sleeping before log in with my Cinema Display was incompatible with my mac pro (6, xx) setting. I can't remember what I've got my iMac on, I think it's 12, 2 but try 12 or 13. What's your current sys def?

Oh right I see ... currently it's set to iMac14,2 .. i'll try switching to 12 or 13.

Are you also using the alternate Nvidia web drivers? My previous best guess as to why this wasn't working was that it appears the GTX980 isn't natively supported and has to use alternate web drivers therefore doesn't support the apple display. I could be miles off the mark with that theory .. I hope I am anyway ..

No. I use natives (holding onto them as long as possible). Your theory might be right, but I doubt it.

Damn, I was hoping you'd say you were using the web driver ... unfortunately i don't know when or if the native drivers will ever support the 980 or whether the web driver will ever support the apple cinema display ... anyway, i really hope i'm wrong .. i'll give changing the system profile a shot (as well as the previous suggestions) and report back ..

.. any other ideas are of course more than welcome (if i can't get this working tonight, will probably return the display :(

Personally I wouldn't buy something like that.

I suggest pulling one of the cards, plugging a working monitor in to a DVI port and then the Cinema Display into the DP on the remaining card. A single GTX 980 should be able to drive 4 displays. Display port certainly works with Maxwell cards and the web drivers, it is what I am using for my Dell Ultrasharp.

OK, so i tried doing this, only had one card in the system, rebooted, tried plugging both/just one in and same result. ACD not detected but dell monitor works fine.

There is no reason this monitor shouldn't work. However, some monitors (for example when mine is set to displayport 1.2), go to sleep at some point during the boot. From your description, this could be what happens with this one. The only solution I know of is to just turn the monitor off and on again, the computer should redetect it. It could also depend on how many monitors in total are connected.

So I've tried having just the ACD connected, ACD + 1 and ACD + 2. Tried unplugging the ACD pre and post login but same result, it just doesn't detect it ... like it's not even showing up in display settings ...

So I tried about 5 or 6 settings, both the 13,1 and 12,1. even tried macbook pro and imac (which i do not advise as even my primary monitor wasn't working and i had to chrome remote desktop into my machine to set it back).

All in all, I've tried everything ... and with a heavy heart, i think i'm going to have to call this one a fail, the GTX 980 simply doesn't support the apple cinema display. There's a weird irony that when i dual boot into my PC build, the cinema display works beautifully and looks stunning, it just doesn't work when i boot into the mac side. I believe the web drivers that nvidia provides for the GTX 980 (which is unfortunately not supported natively) doesn't support the ACD for whatever reason. Anyways, unless there's any other solution I can try, i guess that's the end of this experiment. Appreciate the help from everyone ...

Yea I got nothing. There really is no reason that it shouldn't work unless you aren't getting any DP signal from the GPU at all under OS X. Sorry if I have already asked you but have you tried any other monitor connect to the DP when in OS X?

If another monitor doesn't work via DP then it is like the web drivers. I'd check your IOReg to see if the port is even loading.

Yea I got nothing. There really is no reason that it shouldn't work unless you aren't getting any DP signal from the GPU at all under OS X. Sorry if I have already asked you but have you tried any other monitor connect to the DP when in OS X?

If another monitor doesn't work via DP then it is like the web drivers. I'd check your IOReg to see if the port is even loading.

That might be worth a shot .. unfortunately i dont have a DP cable for my other monitors, just HDMI and DVI cables ...

Dumb question but does something need to be plugged into it for it to register on IOReg? I downloaded it and looking through it now but not entirely sure what i'm looking for ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back