Contribute
Register

Choosing a Compatible NVMe SSD for your macOS Boot Drive

Do I need to move that to a different SATA3 port, such as 0, 2, or 3? Or is it okay where it is?
It should be ok because your M.2 drive is not SATA based it's PCIe. Look at the chart again. See the checkmark in the green box ?
Screen_Shot_6.jpg

It should be ok because your M.2 drive is not SATA based it's PCIe.
Got that, thanks. I guess different active pins between SATA and NVMe SSDs mean different effects on the SATA3 1 port. I do know that my optical drive does work fine on that port. Glad not to have to get in there again just to move a SATA cable connection!

Disk Speed Test Comparison... Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe SSD on left, WD SN850X 1TB on right. Computer is "Mini-ITX 4" (at left and below). Running Mojave 10.14.6 on the HFS+ filesystem.
970 PRO vs WD SN850X.jpg

It it all relevant for bootable SSD's only, or also for storage ones in Mac OS Extended format?

MacOs bootable yes, storage, is not as much of a concern, unless mounting with a helper app comes into play. I would not use an incompatible drive for APFS storage, but it is probably ok. Corruption may occur if transferring back and forth using ExFat for Mac and Windows use as needed. Not really much of an option, though, for a reasonable size external to choose a drive formatting structure other than ExFat to have cross-platform compatibility. The trim implimation by the Mac OS problem occurs with NVme Drives and certain controllers, the trim problem is not present with 2.5" ssds. Crucial, Western Digital, and Sandisk are your best bets for 2.5" drives.

Last edited:
Thanks, and another question (since search inside a thread doesn't work) - does this issue also affects bootable SATA SSD's in APFS format, or only NVMe's?

Thanks, and another question (since search inside a thread doesn't work)
Choose "This thread" from the drop down menu. Then type in the search terms.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Then scroll at least halfway down the search results page (past results with tonymac logo) and you'll see info specifically from this thread.

Screen Shot 18.jpg

Does this issue also affect bootable SATA SSD's in APFS format ?
None of the Samsung or other major brands of Sata SSD have had trim problems. Some brands might possibly have problems but I've never seen reports of that here on tmx86.com.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have to give up the idea of installing Sonoma on my Samsung 970 Pro. I managed to install up to Ventura but now I have restart problems during the installation phase in Sonoma..with opencore 0.9.7 efi working on nwme wd without problems ..with Samsung the installation restarts immediately even by setting trim 0. I also tested on a MacBook with OpenCore Legacy and the installation doesn't finish. Any ideas or particular settings for OpenCore to do a final test?
Thank you.

OK, then I will move Windows from the Samsung OEM to the Samsung 970 Pro on the M2.2.
On the M2.1 I launch Sonoma with WD Blue, but it is only 256GB. In the future I will upgrade with 1TB SN770 for Sonoma

Thank you.

Back