Contribute
Register

Choosing a Compatible NVMe SSD for your macOS Boot Drive

Hi all,

reading that thread, I'm wondering, I do have bought an iMac 19,1 with already NVMe Samsung 980 pro 2To installed. I'm running with last OS Sonoma 14.4.1 + bootcamp and I did not observed any issue (no boot stop or whatever I've red related to Trim here..) except that I can not wake up after sleep.

in attached the setup - last Samsung FW is installed
I've checked with magician running windows in bootcamp partition and I do not observed any SSD degradations.

the guy who sold me that explained to me that he bought it like this since 2 years.. so I assume he did the regular OS updates without running issues..

I'm thinking on updating the SSD with a WD 4To (now I red all those bad comments on Samsung...), what do you think? will that work with such large storage?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 10.21.49.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 10.21.49.png
    448.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
what do you think? will that work with such large storage?
Current Mac Pros and Mac Studios running Sonoma support 8TB NVMe SSDs so 4TB shouldn't cause any problems. The only thing to worry about is heat buildup due to limited airflow inside the iMac. Not sure if there's room to put a good heatsink on the NVMe. The good news though is that the 2019 iMac limits you to Gen 3 speeds so it won't run too hot with normal usage.

Last edited:
Thks trs96 for the information - I'm seeking to see if someone tried already in iMac 19,1 and will do it if works.

in attached the perf I got with my Samsung 980 pro to let all knows what I get with it.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 16.37.11.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 16.37.11.png
    755.8 KB · Views: 13
perf I got with my Samsung 980 pro to let all knows what I get with it.
That's normal speeds in a PCIe Gen 3.0 computer. The higher speeds you get with Gen 4.0 SSDs are not possible.

I'm seeking to see if someone tried already in iMac 19,1 and will do it if works.
Do you have any previous experience taking apart and re-assembling iMacs ?

yes I did change my SATA drive in my last IMAC 27 late 2013, this is tricky be doable

That's normal speeds in a PCIe Gen 3.0 computer. The higher speeds you get with Gen 4.0 SSDs are not possible.
yes indeed, thks

Back