Contribute
Register

Choosing a Compatible NVMe SSD for your macOS Boot Drive

Hey trs96,
Thanks so much for all this wonderful info!

I had installed a Samsung 980 Pro 2tb on my Mid 2015 Macbook Pro , 16g ram, quad i7, Monterery OS, and it was a horrible experience. Super slow boots (3-5 min), frequent beachballs, all kinds of problems!

Following your advice, I replaced the system drive with a Western Digital WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe and my Macbook pro runs faster than ever. Writes above 2400mb/s reads above 2100mb/s.

I can't return the Samsung 980 Pro 2tb, so I plan to use it as a time machine or DATA drive inside this Orico enclosure which I already have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6N92K1H/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Should I reformat the Samsung 980 Pro 2tb as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) instead of APFS? I get high 350 mb/s r/w as an external with the Orico enclosure.

Thanks again for the great advice!!!

Should I reformat the Samsung 980 Pro 2tb as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) instead of APFS?
If you don't dual boot with Windows, that's the next best use for it. I would convert it to
Mac OS Extended Journaled for use with macOS.
Your Mac’s version of Time machine will quite happily use the APFS format or Mac OS Extended.

When you’d pick one file system format over the other then comes down to how much you have to backup. Intersected with your budget for an external drive and how fast you need to backup.

On older Mac’s running Mac OS Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra or Sierra.

The choice is simple.

It’s Mac OS Extended Journaled. Because although Mac’s since Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra support an APFS volume on an external drive. They don’t support a Time Machine backup to an APFS volume.

Last edited:
If you don't dual boot with Windows, that's the next best use for it. I would convert it to
Mac OS Extended Journaled for use with macOS.
Thanks so much for the fast reply and advice, trs96!!!

Back