Contribute
Register

Checking chosen set before buying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry, architect ... I will mount it on the back of my desk, hide it with displays... But think about modding it with wood of an appletree, may be combined with plum.:headbang: Have some small planks left from my time working as a carpenter.
In terms of design it looks amazing whereas on the functional side there may be some cons you should consider, if you haven't already.
I hope you get the best of both :D

In terms of design it looks amazing whereas on the functional side there may be some cons you should consider, if you haven't already.
I hope you get the best of both :D

I hope also. :D
I will improve dust protection and noise reduction, which will be part of my "hack" of this case. I would call it litterally my base-case.

GPU will be my next decission, not shure about GTX970 vs GTX980ti.

Adnarel

Hi,

I am willing to start a new chapter in mac-usage as this will be the first own build since starting with apple in 2001.

I have read tons of advices here and now want to be aware of any concerns relating to my choosen set:
... it will be used for CAD, 3DConstruction and some Photo editing on a professional basis.(architect/design)

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97 UD5H (as I found it could be the one with the most "success" threads and specs are matching for me)
CPU: Core i7-4790K 4,0 GHz (as to app specs my CAD/Render needs more Speed than Cores)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 (there will be 2x 4K ??" at the end, not finally choosen + an wacom cintiq 12wx)

Ethernet is important and audio for pleasure while working ;)
Any confimations that a wacom cintiq is working at all @ a hackintosh?
Advice for cooling?

I am considering using this case: Thermaltake Core P5 ATX Maker

Many Thanks for advice!
adnarel

Great! I was looking into upgrading and came up with the same hardware except being lost about a few things. So many MOBO's to choose from and like you I would like one that works pretty much OOTB.
With my current built I only have to use a kext for Ethernet, everything else works, well...

The reason I am upgrading is because I wanted to boost my 2500k a bit. These CPU's are known for overclocking but my MOBO is not. The GA-Z77-DS3H BIOS lacks vcore setting!
So now it's running on auto voltage at 3,9 Ghz but I don't trust it since I've read numbers going above v1.3. A variable vcore can't be good either in the long run so I might get back to stock speeds.

Second reason is the 760GTX. Without a doubt a very good card and I have no issues, even with a bit of gaming except for the latest updates from Lightroom which do not support my GPU anymore. I had to roll back to Lightroom 2015 base version to get GPU support back. I know the 970 GTX works but I wonder if there are R9 alternatives. 380/390 with 8GB would be great for 4K no? I have recently bought the P2715Q (also working OOTB with osx drivers or NVidia drivers) and love it. Best buy for my hack so far.

Also in doubt about the CPU cooler. My rig is very silent now (Fractal Design R4 case and big fans on low volts) and I would like to keep it that way. This is actually one of the reasons I'm holding back on buying an iMac, heat and noise, not to mention non-upgrade-friendly ;)
A Mac Pro would be a better choice for many of us but it's just too bloody expensive.
Coolers I am looking at are Thermalright Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D15 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE. These were recommended somewhere but again, so many choices. I just want to keep my rig silent so hopefully any of the above will suffice. Any input on this appreciated.
I use this rig for work (LR & PS) so I think an i7 (4790K) with more threads will come in handy for a few tasks.

As a guitarist I also do a bit of audio but I've had ground loop issues since day one. Even bought a Texas Instruments PCI interface way back but that didn't solve anything. Problem is with my Inspire 1394 which lacks balanced outputs. I got used to it but with the upgrade I might as well get rid of this issue as well. I do hope USB2.0 throughput will be as good as FW400 for audio.

So yeah I might be going for the same hardware as you my friend. Hopefully these mobo's work without too much hassle, only requiring a kext for Ethernet. USB 3.0 is required though.

Good luck!

I didn't found out jet.
My main 95%-98% usage at the 4k display will be "office" - but also lightroom, photoshop, render.
Most render stuff is OpenGL while editing objects.
But I have no idea jet if 4K definitely needs GTX980 or even 980 ti. Which at least doubles the price of this part. You will find videos at youtube showing framerates for this tree options at 4k, but really, I don't see much differences.

AMD GPUs I haven't researched jet as they are widely reported as not working in a hackintosh. (Where I could be missinformed, true.)

As the 4k display will be also new, my timeline now is to get the hackintosh set up and running with on board graphics. Then, if this works, I will get an 4k and test is with onboard graphics and decide about GPU.

I didn't found out jet.
My main 95%-98% usage at the 4k display will be "office" - but also lightroom, photoshop, render.
Most render stuff is OpenGL while editing objects.
But I have no idea jet if 4K definitely needs GTX980 or even 980 ti. Which at least doubles the price of this part. You will find videos at youtube showing framerates for this tree options at 4k, but really, I don't see much differences.

AMD GPUs I haven't researched jet as they are widely reported as not working in a hackintosh. (Where I could be missinformed, true.)

As the 4k display will be also new, my timeline now is to get the hackintosh set up and running with on board graphics. Then, if this works, I will get an 4k and test is with onboard graphics and decide about GPU.

980 for me is overkill, hell, the 970 already is since I don't game that often and when I do it's at 1080 (still very good detail on this 4K monitor)
I don't know about 4K editing though, might require a higher end card but to be honest I highly doubt it and 970 will be more then enough. I think even my 760GTX will suffice for 4k editing.
Since my 760 GTX isn't supported in Lightroom the next step up would be 770 but I might as well go more future proof and get the 970.
If the latest Lightroom had support for my GTX760 and my Mobo had the vcore setting I probably wouldn't be thinking about upgrading. In a way I am forced due to these small but very important hardware/software limitations, hmm.
As far as I can tell more pixels means more VRAM so the 8GB on the R9 390's would be very helpful for editing in 4K.

Good luck!

There are reports that R390 is working with Yosemite but not with Capitan.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/167370-amds-radeon-370-380-390-x-7.html

Seems not to be solved yet.

Also I read user comments, not related to hackintosh, that the onboard grafics of i7 4790 is able to feed a 4k display for office use. Some Games claim that even 980 ti / Titan and (better for 4k) Radeon cards are too slow for gaming. So it depends widely on usage scenarios and on which quality you are used to.

In the moment I tend to a 970 card, MSI Gaming 4 sounds good.
I will follow the updates on the R9 as MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G is nearly 2/3 in price of the 970.

There are reports that R390 is working with Yosemite but not with Capitan.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/167370-amds-radeon-370-380-390-x-7.html

Seems not to be solved yet.

Also I read user comments, not related to hackintosh, that the onboard grafics of i7 4790 is able to feed a 4k display for office use. Some Games claim that even 980 ti / Titan and (better for 4k) Radeon cards are too slow for gaming. So it depends widely on usage scenarios and on which quality you are used to.

In the moment I tend to a 970 card, MSI Gaming 4 sounds good.
I will follow the updates on the R9 as MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G is nearly 2/3 in price of the 970.

Yeah for gaming on 4K you better get the 980 ;) and even then some seem to struggle. I highly doubt 4K video editing will require the same though. For me the 760 is already enough for 4K image editing and gaming at 1080p but I am forced to upgrade.

You want to be looking at the 390 instead of 380 to be in line with 970 performance. Price difference will be a lot less!
I bet the 390 8GB will be a great card for rendering in 4K.

You want to be looking at the 390 instead of 380 to be in line with 970 performance. Price difference will be a lot less!
I bet the 390 8GB will be a great card for rendering in 4K.

I see... but even a R9 390 is cheeaper than a GTX 970.

Any advices about R9 390 versus GTX 970? I asume for a productivity set (earning money) as of today it would be better to stay within proven OOB(and web drivers): GTX 970?

Thanks!

I see... but even a R9 390 is cheeaper than a GTX 970.

Any advices about R9 390 versus GTX 970? I asume for a productivity set (earning money) as of today it would be better to stay within proven OOB(and web drivers): GTX 970?

Thanks!

Not here in Europe mate, actually same price.

Yeah the 970 would def be a safer bet so if you are upgrading now then get that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back