Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Checking choosen set before buying...

Hi,

I am willing to start a new chapter in mac-usage as this will be the first own build since starting with apple in 2001.

I have read tons of advices here and now want to be aware of any concerns relating to my choosen set:
... it will be used for CAD, 3DConstruction and some Photo editing on a professional basis.(architect/design)

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97 UD5H (as I found it could be the one with the most "success" threads and specs are matching for me)
CPU: Core i7-4790K 4,0 GHz (as to app specs my CAD/Render needs more Speed than Cores)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 (there will be 2x 4K ??" at the end, not finally choosen + an wacom cintiq 12wx)

Ethernet is important and audio for pleasure while working ;)
Any confimations that a wacom cintiq is working at all @ a hackintosh?
Advice for cooling?

I am considering using this case: Thermaltake Core P5 ATX Maker

Many Thanks for advice!
adnarel

Hi,

I am willing to start a new chapter in mac-usage as this will be the first own build since starting with apple in 2001.

I have read tons of advices here and now want to be aware of any concerns relating to my choosen set:
... it will be used for CAD, 3DConstruction and some Photo editing on a professional basis.(architect/design)

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97 UD5H (as I found it could be the one with the most "success" threads and specs are matching for me)
CPU: Core i7-4790K 4,0 GHz (as to app specs my CAD/Render needs more Speed than Cores)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 (there will be 2x 4K ??" at the end, not finally choosen + an wacom cintiq 12wx)

I am considering using this case: Thermaltake Core P5 ATX Maker

adnarel

I know your CPU Mobo and Graphics choices will all work. Have no experience with the Cintiq.
My concern with the Chassis though is that you may sit and stare at it all day long and not get
any of your work done. Here's why:

[video=youtube_share;EYAaw83q-ic]http://youtu.be/EYAaw83q-ic?t=3m30s[/video]
Fast Forward to about the 3:30 point of the video to see it running.

The main problems we've seen with Z97 and El Capitan are related to the function of the USB 3
ports. It will get worked out eventually but if you will depend on external storage drives connected
to USB 3 you may not get the speeds that you want.

9-series chipset with Haswell processor is intended as an upgrade path, not what you do when you're buying new. If I were you, I would get a Broadwell processor.

9-series chipset with Haswell processor is intended as an upgrade path, not what you do when you're buying new. If I were you, I would get a Broadwell processor.
alert.png
If you're building a CustoMac, 4th generation Intel Core i Haswell CPUs + Intel 9 Series motherboards are the current recommendation. In addition to updating links, this month we've added the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 graphics card, Z97 motherboards with USB 3.1, USB 3.1 PCIe expansion cards, and a few new USB 3.1 accessories.

The above is taken directly from last months buyers guide. So to say, "I would get a Broadwell" When tonymacx86.com is specifically recommending Haswell CPU's and 9 Series boards, is just faulty/illogical thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
The O.P. is making the right choice with the 4790K. It is clocked higher than the
Broadwell I7 is and can be overclocked higher too. The igfx of the Broadwell I7 are
better but he is using a 970 so that makes no difference here. To top it all off he'll
also save some $ by going with Haswell.

You make a good point. I didn't realize Broadwell-H was such a sorry offering. I have been in laptop-land for too long. :/

My concern with the Chassis though is that you may sit and stare at it all day long and not get
any of your work done. Here's why:

...video, see above...

The main problems we've seen with Z97 and El Capitan are related to the function of the USB 3
ports. It will get worked out eventually but if you will depend on external storage drives connected
to USB 3 you may not get the speeds that you want.

Yeah, sorry, architect ... I will mount it on the back of my desk, hide it with displays... But think about modding it with wood of an appletree, may be combined with plum.:headbang: Have some small planks left from my time working as a carpenter.

Before upgrading to El Capitan I have to check if this change will have negative effect to the (necessary) apps on my current workstation (MacBook late 2009 running Yosemite, on SSD and 8GB RAM "overRAMed").:p

So chances are I will start with a build running Yosemite. (Bad Idea in any way?) And then USB3.0 issue is may be solved. (Thanks for mentioning it, read some posts here, I am aware now.)

I become a bit concerned about the gtx970 ... in the last 45 minutes, I read a lot about users with gtx970 upgrade to gtx980ti soon after starting with 4k*). Its a bit prity, but as I am sitting here 8-10h per day it would be justifiable.

Thanks for advice!
Adnarel

*) Postings in part vendor websites/product rating

So chances are I will start with a build running Yosemite. (Bad Idea in any way?) And then USB3.0 issue is may be solved. (Thanks for mentioning it, read some posts here, I am aware now.)

Should be no problem starting with Yosemite. Have you already got it downloaded ?
Apple, at least here in N. America, have already pulled it from the Mac App Store. If
you did download it previously it should be in your purchased apps list for re-download.

Hope your build goes well and make sure to post some pictures when it's complete.
That is the most unique case design I've seen recently. All sold out at Newegg already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133283&cm_re=thermaltake_core_p5-_-11-133-283-_-Product

Yes, have a rescue stick ready with Yosemite ... I think 10.10.3.

Case is ordered. Here in germany it is new in stock or even still waiting for first delivery, but I found a vendor.
Pics will be delivered when the time is ripe.

Adnarel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back