Contribute
Register

Check in: Do you have to lower your multiplier or not?

Do you have to set your multiplier to 32x to get your system to boot

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately with msi p67A GD65 b2. no way boot with 10.7.3 kernel
Base multiply x34 3.4ghz OC x42 4.2ghz
I can set it in x32 but I noticed on CPUZ it gives me x16 1532MHz while the BIOS is x32 and total 3.2GHz. It is probably the reason that those possessing MSI failed to 10.7.3 boot

So so far it looks like only the Asus boards, gigabyte and MSI confirmed not working, and my computer (a dell) also doesn't work.

tonymacx86 said:
danosx86 said:
HI,

I'm running an Asus P8H67-V (H67 chipset) with an i5 2500 (not K), I can set the busratio to 33 without any problems. System boots normally, stability is normal, too.
Don't know how high I could go, the H67 chipset doesn't allow busratios beyond 33 for the 2500 (both K and non-K) and raising the base clock above 100MHz never was and never will be a good idea :)

Best regards,
Daniel

Ok well- then it IS Asus vs. Gigabyte. Any other confirmations?

Nope. See my system <-

Gigabyte mobo, currently running OSX 10.6.7 at 33x, turbo disabled.
With 34x it crashes at the beginning of the boot sequence.
With 33x and turbo enabled it boots all the way to the desktop then the system becomes unresponsive. Mouse not moving, keyboard not working etc.
With 33x and no turbo everything works.
Here's what geekbench says:

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.13 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 8226 9794
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 14770
Memory Memory performance 5936
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 5588
System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Build 10J869)
Model Hackintosh Motherboard Apple Inc. Mac-F42C88C8 PVT
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processors 1 Threads 8
Cores 4 Memory 16.0 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor Frequency 3.29 GHz Bus Frequency 25.1 GHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB L3 Cache 8.00 MB
BIOS Apple Inc. MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com

(edit) I got this to work by deleting System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext, after having installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then repaired permissions and rebuilt caches)

(later edit) to make things clear, the 34x multiplier and turbo both work fine in Windows/Linux.

JoshNYC said:
The poll is a great idea.

I'm running an Asus PRO with i7-2600k. I have my base mult. set to 34 and turbo to 44 and it boots up fine (with 10.7.3 kernel). I've never experienced the looping issue. I am seeing occasional KPs but I think these are related to my GTX 460 card.

Edit: 44 turbo is confirmed working as I'm able to hit around 13000 in Geekbench.

I am running on Asus P8P67-B3, set the multiplier to 33, ran turbo to 45 and it boots up fine..also experiencing occasional crashers..and I am using a GTS 450 card..
any solution to this?
My geekbench score is only about 9800..16gb ram 1333mhz..why so low? :crazy:

I have a Zotac H67ITX-C-E Mini-ITX motherboard (H67-B3 chipset with UEFI) with a standard i7 2600 (not K) CPU, 8 GB RAM and a Radeon HD6850. So far I haven't figured out how to boot with anything other than iBoot-Legacy. The 2011 MBP kernel just reboots after half a second but with iBoot-Legacy it works fine with full graphics support. I haven't found an obvious place to lower the multiplier in the UEFI settings but I have a few more things to try before giving up.

prodigius said:
JoshNYC said:

I'm running an Asus PRO with i7-2600k. I have my base mult. set to 34 and turbo to 44 and it boots up fine (with 10.7.3 kernel). I've never experienced the looping issue. I am seeing occasional KPs but I think these are related to my GTX 460 card.

Edit: 44 turbo is confirmed working as I'm able to hit around 13000 in Geekbench.

I am running on Asus P8P67-B3, set the multiplier to 33, ran turbo to 45 and it boots up fine..also experiencing occasional crashers..and I am using a GTS 450 card..
any solution to this?

Sounds to me like your turbo isn't actually working. Someone on the Sandy Bridge forum recommended that I turn off EIST in the BIOS/UEFI – after I did this is when turbo started working. Give it a try.

My GA-P67A-UD5-B3 (F2) works with the base Mult. set at 33, never tried 32.
I have had a non-frequent panic that i seem to relate to my GTX 460
One thing i have noticed is that for some reason my retail 10.6.0 Snow Installer will not run if i don't set it back to default 34, once updated to 10.6.7 and 10.7.3 kernel installed then i have to lover it to 33 or it will go into a reboot loop.

JoshNYC said:
prodigius said:
JoshNYC said:

any solution to this?

Sounds to me like your turbo isn't actually working. Someone on the Sandy Bridge forum recommended that I turn off EIST in the BIOS/UEFI – after I did this is when turbo started working. Give it a try.

I was able to actually boot with 33x and turbo enabled (the first time I did and it froze must have been a freak as it now does it on a regular basis) but like him it doesn't look like turbo is doing a damn thing... geekbench 10030. I did disable then EIST, and it doesn't make a difference, exact same score, CPU still running at 3.3GHz everywhere.

Seems like something is different with the Gigabyte boards but make sure you've set you turbo multiplier a bit higher than your base otherwise it's hard to tell the difference in performance. I guess the safer thing would be to lower your base and leave turbo around 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back