Contribute
Register

Change Mobo to an easier to Update OS System...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime z370-A II
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT (8GB)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Unfortunately I destroyed my Motherboard (Asus X99-E WS 3.1) while trying to update to High Sierra.

So now, I need a new MoBo and probably a new CPU because I would like to upgrade more easily to a new OS than with the X99 .

The Hardware I would like to keep,
my GPU (ASUS GTX1080 Ti FE 11GB GDDR5X),
my Ram (Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 4-Kit)
my CPU Cooler (Cooler Master Nepton 240M compatible with Intel/AMD, 274mm Radiator)

The build is made for video Editing and compositing of HighRes Videos.

So what MoBo should I get and what CPU?

Thanks for your help

Choose the best within your budget and check for guides with those parts, i'd start from there...

BTW why do you say you destroyed while update HS?

Hi,

Unfortunately I destroyed my Motherboard (Asus X99-E WS 3.1) while trying to update to High Sierra.

So now, I need a new MoBo and probably a new CPU because I would like to upgrade more easily to a new OS than with the X99 .

The Hardware I would like to keep,
my GPU (ASUS GTX1080 Ti FE 11GB GDDR5X),
my Ram (Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 4-Kit)
my CPU Cooler (Cooler Master Nepton 240M compatible with Intel/AMD, 274mm Radiator)

The build is made for video Editing and compositing of HighRes Videos.

So what MoBo should I get and what CPU?

Thanks for your help

If you want to ever move beyond High Sierra, the GTX 1080 Ti will have to go.

In my opinion, Z370 is extremely easy to hack and maintain.

Choose the best within your budget and check for guides with those parts, i'd start from there...

BTW why do you say you destroyed while update HS?

Hi Jugglehard,

Yes my mobo is dead. I don't really know why but it doesn't start anymore. Even if I empty the cmos and remove the battery for 30 minutes. The flashback is not working either. I somehow followed this manual, X99 Hack, did modify the bios file but as mention aboce I couldn't flash it on it because it did not react. Even if I went over the EZ Software in the Bios, it keept telling me that the BIOS is not working and then it stoped. So I folowed the step without doing changes on the Bios . After a while I installed the Xcode because I had to create a hex. D. 4. in the Link above.
To avoid CPU thread TSC desynchronisation errors during boot and wake from S3, likely induced by yet erroneous CPU BIOS microcode implementations, we need to use TSCAdjustReset.kext provided by @interferenc in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ directory of both USB Flash Drive and System Disk in the latter case.

So I did that and the Xcode has been installed but it did not Work so I rebooted my Hack and then nothing happend. Not even the Bios Started . :(

After a couple of hours trying to repare it, I realised that my MoBo was dead.

On the MoBo the code 03 is showing, this mean "System Agent initialization before microcode loading."

So it is dead

If you want to ever move beyond High Sierra, the GTX 1080 Ti will have to go.

In my opinion, Z370 is extremely easy to hack and maintain.

Thanks for your answer, yes this is a good point, the gtx 1080 ti has to go if I update to mojave or catalina. Some GPU are Native Nvidia supported. I have to find out what cards are. What about CUDA if I would choose a nvidia Native GPU? Or is Metal the way to go even if it is nativ nvidia ?

That X99 is such a pain to update, so I'm thanksful that you wrote that is easy to hack and maintain.

Thanks for your answer, yes this is a good point, the gtx 1080 ti has to go if I update to mojave or catalina. Some GPU are Native Nvidia supported. I have to find out what cards are. What about CUDA if I would choose a nvidia Native GPU? Or is Metal the way to go even if it is nativ nvidia ?

That X99 is such a pain to update, so I'm thanksful that you wrote that is easy to hack and maintain.

It would be foolish to invest in another Nvidia card. Whatever Nvidia cards that are natively supported by macOS right now are nearing the end of support. There is no Cuda support for Mojave or Catalina Public Beta.

Right now, the best video card that work with macOS is the Radeon VII. Hopefully, Apple will add support for RX 5700/5700 XT soon...

Yes, Z370 is great to hackintosh on. Z390 is a PITA.

I googled for the best mobo for video editing, and landed on this site. Best MoBo 2019 for Video Editing

If I understand you correctly, you would not recommend to buy this Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI MoBo? Z390 is a pain for Hackintosh. Right?

Correct. Unless you need 128GB of RAM, I see no reason to go with Z390.

Ok, you are absolutely right, I need a maximum of 64gb ram.

On the buyers guide there are two z390 mobo that they suggest.

Will I get in big problems with the z390? I was thinking of doing this build with some changes (gtx 1080 ti fe) for high sierra.

z390-aorus-pro

I’m just evaluating how much more difficult it will be compare to the X99-e ws 3.1 that I had on sierra.

Ok, you are absolutely right, I need a maximum of 64gb ram.

On the buyers guide there are two z390 mobo that they suggest.

Will I get in big problems with the z390? I was thinking of doing this build with some changes (gtx 1080 ti fe) for high sierra.

z390-aorus-pro

I’m just evaluating how much more difficult it will be compare to the X99-e ws 3.1 that I had on sierra.

The issue with Z390 motherboards is that none of them have NVRAM support. There are workarounds, but it's just not as good as a motherboard with NVRAM support.

Also, many people who are using Z390 are using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 which the developer himself has warned everyone not to use.

Why deal with all of this if you don't have to? Z370 motherboards, which do have NVRAM support, can still be purchased brand new. Again, the only reason that I can see to choose Z390 over Z370 is if you need 128GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back