PSU: SeaSonic 650W SSR-650RM
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i 280mm
OS drive: 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO
Project drive: 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO
Archive drive: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004
Optical: Lite-On DVD Burner
Monitor: LG 32MP58HQ-P Black 31.5"
Clover: 2.4k r4972

And have things working with MacOS 10.13.6 (17G5019) and have tried both the 18,3 and 19,2 system definitions. I was using 19,2 and started having some issues with the computer restarting for no reason. In some cases, it was when I was using the internet, but in some cases not. I have recently updated clover and all of my kext files using Hackintool. I decided to revert to 18,3 and everything was working well last night.

Today I was at the app store and the system just kept restarting. I happened three times in a row. I decided to change to the 19,2 definition by restoring an image I had taken after all the updates. I started up Clonezilla to restore the image, as I have done quite a few times over the install process, but the system keeps restarting not long after Clonezilla starts the restore of the drive. It doesn't restart at the same place in the process. I disconnected from the network while running Clonezilla but that doesn't help.

If this is happens while Clonezilla is running, it doesn't have anything to do with MacOS. I have had the build running for several months but haven't used it much. I have only had it on the internet in the last few days. I have never had a build go this wrong and be so unstable. The change was fairly quick from the first instance of the restart to now where I can't use it for more than a few minutes. Previously, it had been up for days at a time with no issues.

I am not really even sure where to start with this. I probably don't have a functional OS now since it quit during an image restore. Which has never happened in all the years I have used Clonezilla. I guess I will see if I can get memtest to run and start there. The only other thing that is different is that I switched to a Rosewill wireless usb keyboard and mouse instead of the wired usb I had been using.

Has anyone run into this kind of thing before? Suggestions would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Last edited:
The rig also restarts while running memtest. I didn't notice any memory errors before the restart but I wasn't there the entire time.

It does look like I can still log into MacOS. Clonezilla must have quit before it started the restore. I don't know if there would be anything in the MacOS system logs that would be useful or not.

LMHmedchem

The rig also restarts while running memtest. I didn't notice any memory errors before the restart but I wasn't there the entire time.

It does look like I can still log into MacOS. Clonezilla must have quit before it started the restore. I don't know if there would be anything in the MacOS system logs that would be useful or not.

LMHmedchem

Yes, my initial thoughts are a memory problem. Sounds like you've got there anyway.

It might be worth checking your BIOS memory settings. A lot of BIOSes default to 2133 speed and need positively "overclocking" to go higher even though the RAM is designed for higher speeds. Sometimes things go wrong with timing and XMP settings.

After that, check which motherboard slots they are in. Dual channel? Etc.

If the board will run with just 1 module test each alone for crashes etc.

I think memtest, if it boots itself from the USB drive and still crashes, is a confirmation of this. It seems to invalidate the old does it work ok in Windows? argument.

If all else fails can you RMA and try a different set?

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back