Quadro K5000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
VINTAGE

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS / 2x Intel Xeon E5 2687w Catalina / 64bg 1600mhz DDR3
Capture d’écran 2020-12-22 à 08.07.22.png

I know it's an oldie but I manage to install Catalina with the Radeon 560 4go at the #5 pci-e line (still this problem)

VINTAGE

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS / 2x Intel Xeon E5 2687w Catalina / 64bg 1600mhz DDR3
View attachment 502005
I know it's an oldie but I manage to install Catalina with the Radeon 560 4go at the #5 pci-e line (still this problem)
Hi there, I have a Dell T420 server chassis w/ 2x E5 Xeons which has worked fabulously with Sierra... trying to get this to run Catalina, but even with the same Radeon 560 I get kernel panic at boot... assuming I need some tricks, being that it's a dual processor. Any tips?
How did you get dual CPUs with a Catalina install? Which boot loader? EFI? boot args for making it work?

Any tips?
There is a very useful thread on Insanely Mac about running Catalina on a multi processor build.
You probably need some patches which are detailed there.

There is a very useful thread on Insanely Mac about running Catalina on a multi processor build.
You probably need some patches which are detailed there.
Thanks for the prompt response. I will check that out!

@svenners
Take a look at my EFI folders for Z9PE-D8 WS here.
Thanks @Il.F I will try this out.
Currently have the most puzzling situation that we were able to get this rig to boot, runs great... all features work, video card (Quadra K2000) works, SAS works, but no matter if on idle or if on full load stress test (i.e. don't think that load or no load and core usage is an issue) after probably anywhere between 3 hours runtime and 24+ hrs the system eventually crashes with no debug info for no apparent reason.
Never had the issue on Sierra, which wa the last OS run on this rig for years nonstop.

as this is a dell server chassis, i get a displayed message on the system management LED (which also tells you when the system is booting, alerts about drive failures on raid controller, tells chassis temp when no issues) sayin CPU1 or CPU2 IERR as in internal error, no further detail. According to others in the server world with Linux running on this, that error is equivalent with a kernel panic, but the system controller probably intercepts or interprets...

So i have no idea why there was a panic when the system other than the "after undetermined amount of time" crashes runs fantastic and is not showing any errors or issues in console...

I suspect it's some disharmony that builds up between the CPUs maybe, or some form of call that crashes them. I tried multiple BIOS config options for the CPUs and no matter if on high performance or with C states enabled, same thing happens... no difference.

I am using nullcpupowermanagement kext...

Any other ideas in the world on what could cause a completely irregular, intermittent crash like this... I'm running out of ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back