CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE 7/15:
Problem solved!

I "reset" my BIOS with the Gigabyte "fail safe" settings, then changed back the few necessary requirements (such as AHCI, 64-bit) and I was able to successfully install Catalina 10.15.5.

I am struggling to get Catalina installed on my system. I can make it through the initial drive partitioning, initial installation(first stage) but then after the reboot where I chose the “Macintosh HD - Data” partition the installer makes it to very near the end and then my computer reboots.

It’s not a graceful shutdown or reboot but more like a hard power cycle restart. Upon each time I reboot and then choose the “Macintosh HD - Data” it attempts to re-do the install.

I’ve watched the timer tick down and it does this power cycle when it says it has less than a minute remaining. Unfortunately nothing is displayed on the screen just before the system hard power cycles.

This is a X58 based system that has been running Sierra. I have replaced the video card with a MSI RX580.

Last edited:
I am struggling to get Catalina installed on my system. I can make it through the initial drive partitioning, initial installation(first stage) but then after the reboot where I chose the “Macintosh HD - Data” partition the installer makes it to very near the end and then my computer reboots.

It’s not a graceful shutdown or reboot but more like a hard power cycle restart. Upon each time I reboot and then choose the “Macintosh HD - Data” it attempts to re-do the install.

I’ve watched the timer tick down and it does this power cycle when it says it has less than a minute remaining. Unfortunately nothing is displayed on the screen just before the system hard power cycles.

This is a X58 based system that has been running Sierra. I have replaced the video card with a MSI RX580.

Hi there.

I think this was always going to be tricky, given that the X58 is from 2008, so you are going to need to choose your system-definition for a machine that is early but Catalina compatible. Are you using UniBeast?

As for the hard reboot ... If you can use "verbose" boot mode it will at least give you some indication of where things are going belly-up. At the Clover menu press the Spacebar and from the menu select "verbose" or the "-v" boot option.

Try to take a photo of where this happens and upload a copy so we can check it.

:)

I think this was always going to be tricky, given that the X58 is from 2008, so you are going to need to choose your system-definition for a machine that is early but Catalina compatible. Are you using UniBeast?

As for the hard reboot ... If you can use "verbose" boot mode it will at least give you some indication of where things are going belly-up. At the Clover menu press the Spacebar and from the menu select "verbose" or the "-v" boot option.

Try to take a photo of where this happens and upload a copy so we can check it.

:)

Thank you for responding!

I am using verbose mode "-v", the "reboot" happens during the GUI phase of the installation. Nothing is displayed on the screen, the machine just powers off and then back on. This is repeatable and happens within the last minute of the second stage of the installation.

I have a video of the last moments. Let me try to figure out how to share it here.

Problem solved!

I "reset" my BIOS with the Gigabyte "fail safe" settings, the changed back the few necessary requirements (such as AHCI, 64-bit) and I was able to successfully install Catalina 10.15.5.

@apple_core Where do you go to change to the "fail safe" settings. I'm having issues getting past the initial install phase as well. Apple logo and progress bar goes about 75% in and then the screen goes black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back