Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina easy update and sound fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back. After a few months, I decided to give it a go again and install a fresh Catalina 10.15.4 on another Dell 3670 desktop PC using the latest Unibeast and Multibeast. Install went well and everything is working, except, of course, audio.

Extracted a virgin AppleHDA.kext from a later Mojave installer, and tried the steps listed at the beginning of this thread. No joy. AppleHDA is not loaded.

System Report/Extensions does show both AppleHDA's (Catalina and Mojave) but both show "No" for loaded.

Tried manually loading the Mojave version of AppleHDA using kextload, and it DOES load! No errors, and System Report/Extensions shows it is loaded! So why won't it load at startup? BUT, even though it loads manually, there are still no audio devices.

So I don't get it. I cannot figure out why AppleHDA (either Catalina or Mojave versions) won't start during boot.

Oh, and I did try Clover's ForceKextToLoad feature and listed "\Library\Extensions\AppleHDA.kext" and that did not force it to load either.

On another Dell 3670 I have Mojave running perfectly with audio. Hackintool lists ALC867 with layout id 13. Same as I am using in Catalina (in Clover, I have inject 13 for audio).

What am I missing or doing wrong?
leave AppleHDA.kext alone

it is a system that stays in /S/L/E and should not be touched or force loaded

re run your macOS installer to refresh your kexts if needs be and follow the audio section:

leave AppleHDA.kext alone

it is a system that stays in /S/L/E and should not be touched or force loaded

re run your macOS installer to refresh your kexts if needs be and follow the audio section:

I didn't touch the AppleHDA that is in /S/L/E. Just like the instructions at the beginning of this thread state, to put a Mojave AppleHDA.kext in /L/E. And that is where it is, and that is where I instruct kextload to load from, not /S/L/E. The original Catalina AppleHDA is still where it was put and I haven't touched it.

Dozens of people in this thread reported that using Mojave AppleHDA worked for them in Catalina.

I will look at the "Idiot's Guide" you linked to, but something weird is definitely going on here.

FROM POST #1: SEE STEP #4...

Hello, all
Updated 2 machines from Mojave like real Mac (i3-5010/i5-5250, HD5500/HD6000)

1. Update Clover to Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4961
info.plist from working Mojave - no changes
2. Download and install update from AppStore
3. All works fine except sound
Steps to fix sound (works on both machines):
1. Turn off sound hacks in Clover
2. Delete Voodoo from /Library/Extensions
3. Download latest AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext and put them into /Library/Extensions
4. Search vanila AppleHDA.kext (I found from Mojave) if there is no such file and put into /Library/Extensions
5. The new files unable to work even after the kext rebuild because of the permissions, fix it
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
6. kext cache rebuild
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Good luck )

What are you saying is wrong?

FROM POST #1: SEE STEP #4...

What are you saying is wrong?
Search vanila AppleHDA.kext (I found from Mojave) if there is no such file and put into /Library/Extensions

is wrong...

follow up on the link I gave you

I did. I went to the AppleALC section and followed the instructions for method #2, created a patch with Hackintool (the document is older than the current version of Hackintool so the screens look a bit different), created the patch, copied it to my config.plist, and rebooted. No audio devices listed. Hackintool does not show the internal audio device, just the AMD video card audio device.

When you say "wrong", you are saying this entire thread is wrong? Because I literally did what was instructed in this thread. You say "wrong" (not very descriptive), so I assume you mean this whole thread and process to fix Catalina sound is wrong?

I did. I went to the AppleALC section and followed the instructions for method #2, created a patch with Hackintool (the document is older than the current version of Hackintool so the screens look a bit different), created the patch, copied it to my config.plist, and rebooted. No audio devices listed. Hackintool does not show the internal audio device, just the AMD video card audio device.

When you say "wrong", you are saying this entire thread is wrong? Because I literally did what was instructed in this thread. You say "wrong" (not very descriptive), so I assume you mean this whole thread and process to fix Catalina sound is wrong?
wrong to find a vanilla AppleHDA.kext to place in /L/E no need for that at all, completely unnecessary

post in the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/ thread with your problem reporting files as the posts here are now getting off topic

wrong to find a vanilla AppleHDA.kext to place in /L/E no need for that at all, completely unnecessary

post in the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/ thread with your problem reporting files as the posts here are now getting off topic

I looked more into the link you posted and in the AppleALC section (troubleshooting, in particular) it mentioned if AppleHDA is not loading to try using the FixHPET setting in Clover and guess what? IT WORKED!

Nothing else needed. Just have the current AppleALC, untouched AppleHDA and Lilu and with FixHPET enabled, I have "internal speakers" now showing and they work on BOTH my Catalina 3670 desktops.

So, you were right (as much as I hate to admit it!) that all this other stuff was not necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I looked more into the link you posted and in the AppleALC section (troubleshooting, in particular) it mentioned if AppleHDA is not loading to try using the FixHPET setting in Clover and guess what? IT WORKED!

Nothing else needed. Just have the current AppleALC, untouched AppleHDA and Lilu and with FixHPET enabled, I have "internal speakers" now showing and they work on BOTH my Catalina 3670 desktops.

So, you were right (as much as I hate to admit it!) that all this other stuff was not necessary.

Thanks.
hey no worries!

the main thing is that you have a working machine with working audio! :)

and thanks for letting us know it works :)

Last edited:
OMG. Thank you! It worked. Finallyyy, after three-five hours. Man, I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back