Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner for a year and a half with my Hackintosh and it seems that when using my default EFI Clover bootloader, with my non-encrypted CCC back up drive connected, I can see an option to boot up from my CCC EFI partition which works ok. However, if I decide to encrypt the CCC copy using FileVault by booting up that copy and enabling FileVault, the CCC EFI boot option disappears from the Clover menu on next start up. Is there any way to get an encrypted CCC back up to boot up on a Hackintosh? I have tried it with HFS+ Mac OS Journalled as the file system rather than APFS on the back up drive but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks in advance.

Anyone found CCC back ups to be non-bootable (not showing up in Clover boot menu) after using FileVault encryption from inside the back ups?

Bombich told me that they don't support any 3rd party bootloaders for FileVault encrypted back ups, so it is not possible to have a bootable encrypted back up for a Hackintosh. Once one has encrypted a back up drive using FV, it is then obviously not possible to boot it up again to switch off File Vault and decrypt it, so to do so you need to wipe the drive and start again if you want a bootable drive. So FV drive encryption is a far worse option than simply encrypting an external drive using the normal OS X method if I'm not mistaken. So overrall rather underwhelming for such a raved about piece of software in the Hack community IMO. I'd rather have a non-bootable, encrypted back up than a non-encrypted, insecure, bootable back up. So I can't really see any real world benefit of CCC over Time Machine tbh, as CCC seems to be slower performing back ups with only slight incremental changes and isn't free, although it doesn't hurt to use a couple of different types of back up software. So it might be worth having one bootable back up drive somewhere, but it needs to be locked away ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back