Graphics
ATI Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently bought a Samsung SSD 830 drive to upgrade my install which was happily running Mountain Lion. I cloned my old drive into the SSD, installed Chimera with Multibeast and everything was working correctly until I restarted and got the boot0 GTP error.

Long story short, I reinstalled using Unibeast USB straight to Mountain Lion. The problem now is that I can boot the system only with the USB, but not from the SSD. After installing Mountain Lion on first boot, I used MultiBeast to install Chimera v1.11.1 r1394 on my SSD drive. On reboot, a text only prompt appears with a list of partitions but selecting the SSD results on a kernel panic. The only way to boot the system is using the UniBeast USB.

My system:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-USB3-B3 (H61)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 LGA1155
Graphics: ATI Radeon 6870

Previous to the SSD installation, it was using a regular 1TB internal SATA hard disk without any issues. Now I have the two drives installed, but I'd like to use the SSD to install the OS in it (that's the whole reason why I purchased it in the first place)

After installing Mountain Lion on first boot, I used MultiBeast to install Chimera v1.11.1 r1394 on my SSD drive.

You need to install more than Chimera. You should install the UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation.

but selecting the SSD results on a kernel panic

If you get the kernel panic again, take a picture and post it.

Thanks for the reply!

I re-ran multibeast, this time selected UserDSDT with the proper aml file on my desktop. At reboot selected the SSD hard drive and got a kernel panic again. As requested I'm attaching the picture of the kernel panic, or see here: http://cesarolea.com/archive/2012-10-31 07.33.47.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-10-31 07.33.47.jpg
    2012-10-31 07.33.47.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 221
It could be your DSDT. Try booting with: -v DSDT=null

Also, check some settings in BIOS. Look for these or similar titles:

limit CPUID max - disable
execute disable bit - enable
intel virtual - enable
vt-d - disable

Will do. BIOS settings look correct (double checked). I'm reinstalling ML right now (starting fresh) and will try the whole DSDT again.

Did you check Trim for 10.8.1 in Multibeast?

Ok some progress. Using a DSDT file results in kernel panic, but I can still boot using the DSDT=null flag. However the system is very unstable, and kernel panics a minute or so upon booting. I'll check with Trim for 10.8.1 as suggested and report back.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not claiming victory just yet, but everything seems so fine now finally. First of all, thanks everyone! This is what I did:

1.- MultiBeast + DSDT for my motherboard resulted in a Kernel Panic at boot. No matter what boot flag I used it always complained about acpi (I tried with the acpi=off flag but resulted in the same). To fix this I ran MultiBeast and selected UserDSDT BUT no DSDT file in the desktop. This allowed me to boot with no additional kernel flag.

2.- Upon boot I got Kernel Panics every minute or so. To fix this I selected NullCPUPowerManagement in MultiBeast. I never needed it before, but for some reason I do now. I had to disable sleep functions which is all right, since this is a workstation.

3.- I didn't have any networking, my motherboard came with an Atheros chipset so I selected maol's AtherosL1cEthernet in MultiBeast. That gave me networking back. Also set PCIRootUID=1 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

4.- Tested everything. App store is working as well as iCloud. Networking, sound, Bluetooth and graphics are all ok. Hopefully the system will be stable again.

Phew! it was more complicated than anticipated.

Happy to see that you found a solution to your problem.
One question please : if your HD was working fine, why just cloning your HD on a SSD was not enough ?

That's what I did originally, and it worked. However when I rebooted I got the boot0 GTP error. I din't know what to do from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back