Contribute
Register

Can't get OpenCore GUI to work on fresh Monterey Installation [Pictures & Data provided]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So for the most part, I've experienced a successful OpenCore 7.7 with macOS Monterey 12.2 installation. Upgraded to 12.2.1 today, with no recognizable problems.

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 2.38.00 PM.png

My current hardware consists of...
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151
RAM: Corsair-Vengeance LED 32gb (2 x 16gb) DDR4-3200 CL 16 Memory
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16gb Gaming OC
Boot Drive: WD Black SN850 1Tb M.2-2280 NVMe
Boot Loader: OpenCore7.7
Display 1: Apple Cinema Display 30"
Display 2: RCA 24" LED LCD

An issue I'm experiencing is that after boot, I have to unplug and replug back in my monitor's DisplayPort to my new GPU, to get video signal. I am experiencing the same problem when booting into Windows10, though, and never once had a single issue booting on my NVidia Geforce GTX1080, so I'm currently assuming that this is a GPU issue, and am trying to get ahold of Gigabyte over it.

Other than that, I can't get the OpenCore GUI to work.
I closely followed the directions listed on Dortania. [Would share link, but I fear my post will be instantly removed, if I add any hyperlinks]

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 5.25.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 5.41.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 5.43.35 PM.png

Afterwards, however, no change. I'm still getting the default boot menu.

20220220_164047.jpg

I then referred to a video guide that I found on Youtube, suggesting to not only add the new Driver, "ProperTree.efi" to the plist, but also all its native data. This seemed like common sense, so I was kind of surprised that Dortania didn't mention this. I then used ProperTree to take a new snapshot of my EFI with 'OpenCanopy.efi' already added to my Drivers folder, and added the new plist code to my existing config.plist file, under UEFI/Drivers/.

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 5.00.34 PM.png

Rebooted, and got this lovely verbose telling me that the 'OpenCanopy.efi' was "Unsupported!", even though I used the exact same OpenCanopy.efi that came with my OpenCore0.7.7 download - using the same family of efi's currently active on my system. (Debug file attached)

20220220_163455.jpg

Thankfully, I kept my previous OS & Data (High Sierra 10.13.6 - Clover) active on its original, separate SSD drive, so I just booted back into that to revert the Monterey plist to my backup, and now booting just fine. But back at square one. Still no OpenCore GUI.

So any suggestions or thoughts? What could I have possibly done wrong? Hope the screenshots and attachments help.

Thank you,
Cat

Attachments

• opencore-2022-02-20-233429.txt
    256 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
As a side-note, every time I boot using OpenCore, I get this terrifying black and beige-striped screen for about 1-5 seconds, just before the Apple and loading bar come up. >< It did this using a combination of both my GPUs paired with both macOS & Windows. ..It gives me horrifying flashbacks of plugging in NES carts, only to get that sinking feeling when you realize that either your game might be damaged, or all of your data might have been erased forever.... (Age showing) ...Anyone else get this? O,0

20220220_180655.jpg

Possibly you are using a version of the /OcBinaryData-master/Resources folder which is in-compatible with the version of OpenCore you are using. Which appears to be OC 0.7.7 going by the dates (Jan 11 2022) of the OpenCore.efi shown in the EFI folder screenshot you provided.

The /OC/Resources/image/Acidanthera sub folders were introduced with OC 0.7.0. but they have been updated and changed along the way, so older versions of the Resources folder don't work with newer versions of OpenCore.

I have attached a copy of the OcBinaryData-master that will work with OC 0.7.7 and newer.

Attachments

• OcBinaryData-master 0.7.7.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back