Contribute
Register

Can't for the life of me figure out how to solve my "not enough power to USB" issue. Anyone want to look at my EFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Feartech ~ As above, maybe the name of this post needs to be re-examined and changed. With the USB Configuration work in a new thread.

The OP's USB port issues are not fully resolved. He is using XhciPortLimit quirk to enable all the USB ports. He still has to create a custom USB Configuration for his setup.

My apologies for going off on a tangent and changing the basis of this thread, seems to be a habit of mine. It started out with a USB issue, which while resolved of sorts, was eventually turned in to a Bios check and Switch Bootloader from Clover to OpenCore process, while creating a new OC EFI folder.

@Feartech ~ As above, maybe the name of this post needs to be re-examined and changed. With the USB Configuration work in a new thread.

The OP's USB port issues are not fully resolved. He is using XhciPortLimit quirk to enable all the USB ports. He still has to create a custom USB Configuration for his setup.

My apologies for going off on a tangent and changing the basis of this thread, seems to be a habit of mine. It started out with a USB issue, which while resolved of sorts, was eventually turned in to a Bios check and Switch Bootloader from Clover to OpenCore process, while creating a new OC EFI folder.
I'm glad it went that way. I feel like my EFI folder is in a MUCH better state now.

Ok, so I still have to create a custom USB configuration even though they all seem to be working? Are those instructions/links in the first reply of yours/near the beginning of this thread?

@wreckthisplace Sorry, only the Tools icons can be removed from the boot screen. All the other EFI and bootable and recovery partitions have to stay.

The way to remove the three Tool and NvramReset icons form the boot screen is fairly simple. Just change the settings in the /OC/config.plist from Enabled=True to False, and they stop showing on the boot screen. See the Screenshot below, with the four settings highlighted in a red rectangle:

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 00.27.45.png

Copy of the revised EFI Folder with these settings changed to false is attached.

Attachments

• EFI 3.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 35
@wreckthisplace Sorry, only the Tools icons can be removed from the boot screen. All the other EFI and bootable and recovery partitions have to stay.

The way to remove the three Tool and NvramReset icons form the boot screen is fairly simple. Just change the settings in the /OC/config.plist from Enabled=True to False, and they stop showing on the boot screen. See the Screenshot below, with the four settings highlighted in a red rectangle:

View attachment 512180

Copy of the revised EFI Folder with these settings changed to false is attached.
Thanks! I might actually keep them there in case I need to clean up the NVRAM for any reason again.
So I guess the last thing still is, I do still have to create a custom USB configuration even though it seems to be working? And is this the guide I follow? Just don't want to mess anything up you've kindly spent so much time fixing for me https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

The short answer is YES you still have to create a custom USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml, even though your USB ports are currently working.

The XhciPortLimit quirk is like the Clover USB Port Limit patches, in that it is not meant as a long term solution to USB Configuration. They are only meant to be used short-term while setting up the system. The Clover patches were reported to have issues when used long term, just not too drastic at first.

The way to set your system up correctly is to use the USB Configuration Guide created by UtterDisbelief, linked in one of the early posts and again here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

My preference is to use the USBPorts.kext generated, when exporting the completed USB config from Hackintool. Not the SSDT-UIAC.aml. As this means you can also remove the USBInjectAll.kext from your OC setup (hence my slip up earlier). As the USBPorts.kext works in every version of macOS on its own. Which to my mind is a cleaner and better way to set up the USB on a system.

You can always start a new Thread, once you have read the information and had a go at following the guide, if you get stuck.

Goodnight!

The short answer is YES you still have to create a custom USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml, even though your USB ports are currently working.

The XhciPortLimit quirk is like the Clover USB Port Limit patches, in that it is not meant as a long term solution to USB Configuration. They are only meant to be used short-term while setting up the system. The Clover patches were reported to have issues when used long term, just not too drastic at first.

The way to set your system up correctly is to use the USB Configuration Guide created by UtterDisbelief, linked in one of the early posts and again here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

My preference is to use the USBPorts.kext generated, when exporting the completed USB config from Hackintool. Not the SSDT-UIAC.aml. As this means you can also remove the USBInjectAll.kext from your OC setup (hence my slip up earlier). As the USBPorts.kext works in every version of macOS on its own. Which to my mind is a cleaner and better way to set up the USB on a system.

You can always start a new Thread, once you have read the information and had a go at following the guide, if you get stuck.

Goodnight!
Ok I'll give it a go! I actually used Hackintool a few weeks ago to do what I believe this guide is saying, but I guess I'd have to edit the config file again? When I did it a few weeks ago it gave me these (attached). Thanks again for everything, I know its pretty late there!

Attachments

• USB OUTPUTS.zip
    5 KB · Views: 28
Should I (if possible) maybe rename this thread instead? I feel this kind of turned into cleaning up my EFi folder and BIOs settings, and as a result, it helped my USB issue. really grateful for that because I felt like I didn't have a proper EFI folder for awhile and had no idea what it could have been doing to my system.
maybe keep the name of thread a little more precise?

I’ll have a look at the outputs folder but I expect it is the same as the SSDT-UIAC.aml, only contains the first fifteen USB ports from your system.

You would be better served starting from new when following the guide. Delete the old incorrect kext and tables, as they will only lead you astray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back