Contribute
Register

Can't for the life of me figure out how to solve my "not enough power to USB" issue. Anyone want to look at my EFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Hey all,

I've been trying all sorts of things but have had no success. I tried porting my USB ports properly, but still nothing. I must be doing something wrong. Clearly. This happened after I updated to Catalina. I've attached my EFI. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.6 MB · Views: 51
So now out of absolutely nowhere, my computer constantly restarts rather than shuts down after I choose to shutdown. Then when it boots up, basically random USB ports have stopped working. I changed and did absolutely nothing. Why is this all of a sudden happening out of nowhere? Any help please? Anyone want to take a look at my EFI?

Also, I’m genuinely curious. Is this a forum for help anymore? Most of my posts for assistance or insight on an issue go completely ignored. I’ve been a member of this forum for over a decade now and I remember it being so helpful before but now it’s mostly a ghost town. Such a shame.

You don't have an SSDT-EC.aml in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, nor an SSDT-PLUG.aml or SSDT-HPET.aml. These three SSDT's are usually required for macOS Catalina to boot/function correctly. Custom versions of these SSDT's can be generated using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime script, which can be downloaded from his GitHub page - https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime

Unless you are using a PS2 mouse or keyboard you don't need VoodooPS2Controller.kext, which lis in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This kext is usually only used with laptop hacks. Is this a laptop or the system listed below your User name and icon?

You don't have an SSDT-UIAC.aml or a USBPorts.kext generated for your USB ports, one or the other has been a requirement for running a Hack successfully since El Capitan. Have a read and follow UtterDisbelief's guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

You have an SSDT-LPC.aml saved in your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder. This is doing nothing and can be deleted.

You have a number of ACPI Rename Patches in your config.plist that are not required as they are dealt with by AppleALC.kext (AALC) and/or WhateverGreen.kext (WEG). The unnecessary patches are as follows:
  • Rename HDAS to HDEF - AALC
  • change HECI to IMEI - WEG
  • change GFX0 to IGPU - WEG
  • change PEGP to GFX0 - WEG
You have two other Rename Patches in your config that I am not sure you need with a Skylake system, have you checked in your DSDT.aml to see if these devices are present?
  • change PPMC to PMCR
  • change EC0 to EC - more common on a laptop, desktops tend to use H_EC
You could be using a few other fixes, patches and config options to help your system:

ACPI Patches:
Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 14.13.46.png
ACPI Fixes:
Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 14.14.07.png

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 14.13.59.png

You have a number of obsolete/unnecessary boot arguments in your config, these include:
  1. -alcbeta
  2. nvda_drv=1
  3. -lilubetaall
  4. -disablegfxfirmware
  5. -wegbeta
  6. -no_compat_check
  • You are not using a Beta version of macOS so the three beta boot arguments are not required.
  • If your system contains an Nvidia dGPU, only then you would need the nvda_drv=1 boot argument
  • If you use the correct SMBIOS, you wouldn't need the -no_compat_check boot argument.

Your config lacks a couple of useful USB patches, Inject=true and FixOwnership=true, these can be found in the Devices section of the config.

Your config.plist lacks Device Properties for your IGPU framebuffer, which you should be entering so your Skylake IGPU works alongside your Vega56 Discrete GPU. See this FAQ guide for the settings you would need and the other fixes, patches and options you would need to set - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

Your config contains a large number of USB Port Limit patches that are not used, only the bottom two are used by Catalina. IF you follow the USB Configuration guide even these will be unnecessary and could be deleted.

Do you have a 10Gb Ethernet device in your system, if not then you don't need the AQC 107 10GbE v2 patch.

You have a Disable NVDARequiredOS patch in your config, it is disabled in the config so can be deleted.

Your config.plist lacks an MLB code, this is essential for Messages, iCloud and other Apple services. Use the Board Serial Number for the MLB.

Assuming this is the Skylake, i7-6700K CPU, Vega56 dGPU system from your system information you are using the wrong SMBIOS. Your Skylake system should be used with the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS not the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS. At least the iMac 18,3 Serial Number checks out with Apple Support, it is not being used by a real Mac.

You don't need to use the InjectSystem ID=true option, as this is just a hangover from the Chameleon/Chimera boot loader, which has no use in Clover.

Inject Kexts= Yes should be set to Detect not Yes.

I have assumed you don't have any third-party kexts in your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folder, including duplicates. That all your third party kexts are located in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in accordance with this guide by Jaymonkey - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

For someone who has been 'following' the hackintosh world for a number of years, your Clover folder and config contain a surprising number of basic errors.

I hope the information and pointers above are helpful.

This looks amazingly detailed and I’m going to look it over and see if I can figure it all out. I’ll post back with results and if I have questions. I appreciate that reply so so much. I’ve been desperate for that type of digging of my EFI for a while now. Thanks again. I’ll report back!

You don't have an SSDT-EC.aml in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, nor an SSDT-PLUG.aml or SSDT-HPET.aml. These three SSDT's are usually required for macOS Catalina to boot/function correctly. Custom versions of these SSDT's can be generated using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime script, which can be downloaded from his GitHub page - https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime

Unless you are using a PS2 mouse or keyboard you don't need VoodooPS2Controller.kext, which lis in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This kext is usually only used with laptop hacks. Is this a laptop or the system listed below your User name and icon?

You don't have an SSDT-UIAC.aml or a USBPorts.kext generated for your USB ports, one or the other has been a requirement for running a Hack successfully since El Capitan. Have a read and follow UtterDisbelief's guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

You have an SSDT-LPC.aml saved in your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder. This is doing nothing and can be deleted.

You have a number of ACPI Rename Patches in your config.plist that are not required as they are dealt with by AppleALC.kext (AALC) and/or WhateverGreen.kext (WEG). The unnecessary patches are as follows:
  • Rename HDAS to HDEF - AALC
  • change HECI to IMEI - WEG
  • change GFX0 to IGPU - WEG
  • change PEGP to GFX0 - WEG
You have two other Rename Patches in your config that I am not sure you need with a Skylake system, have you checked in your DSDT.aml to see if these devices are present?
  • change PPMC to PMCR
  • change EC0 to EC - more common on a laptop, desktops tend to use H_EC
You could be using a few other fixes, patches and config options to help your system:

ACPI Patches:
View attachment 512060
ACPI Fixes:
View attachment 512062

View attachment 512061

You have a number of obsolete/unnecessary boot arguments in your config, these include:
  1. -alcbeta
  2. nvda_drv=1
  3. -lilubetaall
  4. -disablegfxfirmware
  5. -wegbeta
  6. -no_compat_check
  • You are not using a Beta version of macOS so the three beta boot arguments are not required.
  • If your system contains an Nvidia dGPU, only then you would need the nvda_drv=1 boot argument
  • If you use the correct SMBIOS, you wouldn't need the -no_compat_check boot argument.

Your config lacks a couple of useful USB patches, Inject=true and FixOwnership=true, these can be found in the Devices section of the config.

Your config.plist lacks Device Properties for your IGPU framebuffer, which you should be entering so your Skylake IGPU works alongside your Vega56 Discrete GPU. See this FAQ guide for the settings you would need and the other fixes, patches and options you would need to set - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

Your config contains a large number of USB Port Limit patches that are not used, only the bottom two are used by Catalina. IF you follow the USB Configuration guide even these will be unnecessary and could be deleted.

Do you have a 10Gb Ethernet device in your system, if not then you don't need the AQC 107 10GbE v2 patch.

You have a Disable NVDARequiredOS patch in your config, it is disabled in the config so can be deleted.

Your config.plist lacks an MLB code, this is essential for Messages, iCloud and other Apple services. Use the Board Serial Number for the MLB.

Assuming this is the Skylake, i7-6700K CPU, Vega56 dGPU system from your system information you are using the wrong SMBIOS. Your Skylake system should be used with the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS not the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS. At least the iMac 18,3 Serial Number checks out with Apple Support, it is not being used by a real Mac.

You don't need to use the InjectSystem ID=true option, as this is just a hangover from the Chameleon/Chimera boot loader, which has no use in Clover.

Inject Kexts= Yes should be set to Detect not Yes.

I have assumed you don't have any third-party kexts in your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folder, including duplicates. That all your third party kexts are located in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in accordance with this guide by Jaymonkey - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

For someone who has been 'following' the hackintosh world for a number of years, your Clover folder and config contain a surprising number of basic errors.

I hope the information and pointers above are helpful.
Quick question. Got some work out of the way so am now going to go through this. 1. Would it be best to start with a fresh install of Clover/EFI folder? 2. How do I get my DSDT.aml?

I had to download and tweak someone else's EFI that had similar specs to my system to get my system to even boot after updating to Catalina so this could be the reason why I have some things I don't need.

Oh and this is indeed my "home system" with the pro gaming motherboard and the Vega56.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can extract all your ACPI tables (including your DSDT) by pressing the F4 key, while on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be saved in the background with no indication that anything is happening. So wait 30 seconds or more before booting your system.

The extracted ACPI tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive or USB installer, whichever you are using to boot the system.

Using someone else's CLOVER or OC folder is a good way to make a mess of your system. Unless the systems are truly identical, with matching Bios versions and Bios settings.

While on that subject; you should check that your Bios is set correctly for running macOS. These are the settings that matter in macOS:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Intel iGPU driving a display:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
They may not all be present in your Bios, but you need to check each sub-section to make sure you find all those that are present. Some may not show till you have enabled another setting CSM, UEFI booting and Secure Boot being the ones that come to mind. IO SerialPort may have another name.

You can extract all your ACPI tables (including your DSDT) by pressing the F4 key, while on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be saved in the background with no indication that anything is happening. So wait 30 seconds or more before booting your system.

The extracted ACPI tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive or USB installer, whichever you are using to boot the system.

Using someone else's CLOVER or OC folder is a good way to make a mess of your system. Unless the systems are truly identical, with matching Bios versions and Bios settings.

While on that subject; you should check that your Bios is set correctly for running macOS. These are the settings that matter in macOS:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Intel iGPU driving a display:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
They may not all be present in your Bios, but you need to check each sub-section to make sure you find all those that are present. Some may not show till you have enabled another setting CSM, UEFI booting and Secure Boot being the ones that come to mind. IO SerialPort may have another name.
Thanks!

So would you recommend I start from a fresh EFI folder and config file? ie: Deleting the curremt EFI folder (I have backups), reinstalling the basic clover install from Multibeast, then start down this list of things you gave where applicable?

Also, unfortunately this part is going way over my head. I wouldn't even know where to begin with this even from reading that guide.

"Your config.plist lacks Device Properties for your IGPU framebuffer, which you should be entering so your Skylake IGPU works alongside your Vega56 Discrete GPU. See this FAQ guide for the settings you would need and the other fixes, patches and options you would need to set - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md"

UGH. trying to install multibeast again for a fresh EFI and it keeps failing on me. About to throw things into a wall haha.

Edit: Yeah, I really want to start with a fresh EFI somehow. I can't even get Multibeast to install anymore. It keeps failing on me. Seems counter intuitive to start tweaking something an EFI folder with all sorts of problems, no? Whenever you're back online, any tips on what to do (other than the BIOS tweaking, which still should be good from my previous installs), would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back