Contribute
Register

Can't for the life of me figure out how to solve my "not enough power to USB" issue. Anyone want to look at my EFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, I thought I had messed up your OC setup. I have gone through the Folders and config.plist and everything looks Ok to me.

When you select the Catalina icon highlighted in the image below, what happens?

View attachment 512175

Just as a precaution can you check that these OpenCore Bios settings are correct in your setup.

You have CSM enabled, when it should be disabled.

You have your Default graphics set to Auto, which should select a Discrete GPU when one is present. Check the drop down list to see if you can select the discrete GPU, it may say PEG, PCIe, External or dGPU. Just don't select Internal or Integrated.

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB/128MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

There are probably a few contradictions between the Clover and OC bios settings, OS type being the most obvious.

Quick question. Trying to find all if these in the bios What is CSM? Is that legacy USB support?

never mind. Found it!

Good, I thought I had messed up your OC setup. I have gone through the Folders and config.plist and everything looks Ok to me.

When you select the Catalina icon highlighted in the image below, what happens?

View attachment 512175

Just as a precaution can you check that these OpenCore Bios settings are correct in your setup.

You have CSM enabled, when it should be disabled.

You have your Default graphics set to Auto, which should select a Discrete GPU when one is present. Check the drop down list to see if you can select the discrete GPU, it may say PEG, PCIe, External or dGPU. Just don't select Internal or Integrated.

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB/128MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

There are probably a few contradictions between the Clover and OC bios settings, OS type being the most obvious.

ok so that booted again but same thing. No USB working. booting seems fine now with the USB and this new efi. It boots when I boot from the USB and select Catalina. I couldn’t find a few things in the bios.

STAR BESIDE WHAT I DID FIND

Disable​

• Fast Boot ***
  • Secure Boot ***
  • Serial/COM Port ***
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES) - left this disabled
  • CSM ***
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled) ***

Enable​

• VT-x ***
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading ***
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off ***
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode ***
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB/128MB *** I think I found this.
  • SATA Mode: AHCI ***

Ok, I didn't expect you to find all the OC Bios settings, and those you have appear correct with the changes you have made.

It's good the OC EFI booted your system, and a real pain that the USB ports are not working.

This may be caused by some left over Clover or other USB settings within your macOS Catalina setup, which are clashing with the OC USB settings. I made sure I enabled the XhciPortLimit setting in the OC config.plist, which should work like the Clover Raise Port Limit patches and enable all the Intel USB ports.

I need you to boot in to your Catalina system using your Clover bootloader/EFI and make sure you don't have any of the items listed in this Clover conversion guide in your system - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion.

Again you may find you don't have all of these old Clover settings in place, but you need to check carefully to ensure any that are present are removed.

I then need you to check your /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions folders, to ensure none of the third Party kexts I listed previously are still installed in either of these system folders.

The EFI I provided contains the ACPI, Kernel and Kext patches and fixes from Clover, those that are compatible and have an equivalent quirk or setting within OpenCore. The Finder > Go > Go to folder option would probably help with the search for the obsolete Clover settings.

Just to confirm that I added a new SSDT to your OC config. SSDT-Radeon-DeInit-GFX0.aml has been added to the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder, as OpenCore doesn't have a conversion for the RadeonDeInit=true option. Your system needs this SSDT for your Vega56 graphics card to prevent the Black screen issue. I use this same SSDT with my RX580, which also required the old Clover patch.

I have just had a though about the USB issue.

It could also be because I omitted the USBInjectAll.kext from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and also the entry for this kext in the config.plist.

A revised EFI Folder is attached, and this does contain the USBInjectAll.kext.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
Ok, I didn't expect you to find all the OC Bios settings, and those you have appear correct with the changes you have made.

It's good the OC EFI booted your system, and a real pain that the USB ports are not working.

This may be caused by some left over Clover or other USB settings within your macOS Catalina setup, which are clashing with the OC USB settings. I made sure I enabled the XhciPortLimit setting in the OC config.plist, which should work like the Clover Raise Port Limit patches and enable all the Intel USB ports.

I need you to boot in to your Catalina system using your Clover bootloader/EFI and make sure you don't have any of the items listed in this Clover conversion guide in your system - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion.

Again you may find you don't have all of these old Clover settings in place, but you need to check carefully to ensure any that are present are removed.

I then need you to check your /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions folders, to ensure none of the third Party kexts I listed previously are still installed in either of these system folders.

The EFI I provided contains the ACPI, Kernel and Kext patches and fixes from Clover, those that are compatible and have an equivalent quirk or setting within OpenCore. The Finder > Go > Go to folder option would probably help with the search for the obsolete Clover settings.

Just to confirm that I added a new SSDT to your OC config. SSDT-Radeon-DeInit-GFX0.aml has been added to the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder, as OpenCore doesn't have a conversion for the RadeonDeInit=true option. Your system needs this SSDT for your Vega56 graphics card to prevent the Black screen issue. I use this same SSDT with my RX580, which also required the old Clover patch.
Ok checking now. Just to confirm, I am checking all of this in my system where I boot up normally (the one we're trying to fix that I haven't replaced the EFI folder on yet, as we've been testing with the USB thus far), therefor some things on this list will apply to the EFI folder we're eventually going to swap, correct?

I have just had a though about the USB issue.

It could also be because I omitted the USBInjectAll.kext from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and also the entry for this kext in the config.plist.

A revised EFI Folder is attached, and this does contain the USBInjectAll.kext.
That did it! And I believe usb is working properly! I plugged a drive in that was previously either not working or giving me the power issues, and it seems to work. YOU. RULE.

Now, is the next step replacing the EFI on my actual system drive now?

Also, any way to get that sweet theme back with just the entries I use? Catalina, Catalina back up, another backup and Windows? It looked sick.

Standing by for how to proceed!

That did it! And I believe usb is working properly! I plugged a drive in that was previously either not working or giving me the power issues, and it seems to work. YOU. RULE.

Now, is the next step replacing the EFI on my actual system drive now?

Also, any way to get that sweet theme back with just the entries I use? Catalina, Catalina back up, another backup and Windows? It looked sick.

Standing by for how to proceed!
maybe start a new thread if your usb issue is solved

Great. My Skylake system uses a USBPorts.kext for USB Configuration, so the USBInjectAll.kext was part of its make up. Took me a while to figure out that the kext was missing and required for your setup.

Yes, you can replace the Clover EFI on your macOS boot drive. But only after you have made sure all the old Clover settings highlighted in that Clover conversion guide have been removed.

Unfortunately no you can't use the Catalina Clover theme, or anything similar, yet. As the only themes I know of are all based on the Apple boot screen theme. T

here is I believe a way to customise the OC boot screen but I am not sure how to go about it. There is an easy option to change the Boot screen's background back to Black, so I am sure it is possible to change the background to any colour. But the icons are what they are without a lot more time invested creating new icons that match against the correct partitions and tools etc.

maybe start a new thread if your usb issue is solved
Should I (if possible) maybe rename this thread instead? I feel this kind of turned into cleaning up my EFi folder and BIOs settings, and as a result, it helped my USB issue. really grateful for that because I felt like I didn't have a proper EFI folder for awhile and had no idea what it could have been doing to my system.

Great. My Skylake system uses a USBPorts.kext for USB Configuration, so the USBInjectAll.kext was part of its make up. Took me a while to figure out that the kext was missing and required for your setup.

Yes, you can replace the Clover EFI on your macOS boot drive. But only after you have made sure all the old Clover settings highlighted in that Clover conversion guide have been removed.

Unfortunately no you can't use the Catalina Clover theme, or anything similar, yet. As the only themes I know of are all based on the Apple boot screen theme. T

here is I believe a way to customise the OC boot screen but I am not sure how to go about it. There is an easy option to change the Boot screen's background back to Black, so I am sure it is possible to change the background to any colour. But the icons are what they are without a lot more time invested creating new icons that match against the correct partitions and tools etc.
Sounds good! Just a minor thing anyways. Is there a way to get rid of any unused entries by chance?
I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I was pretty disillusioned at the beginning of this thread and now I'm very much the opposite. I'm going to back that EFI up to a safe place as well, as I assume its something I can always go back to, or if I choose to ever do a clean install of Catalina on a fresh drive, rather than an update, since my computer specs will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back