Contribute
Register

Can't create bootloader for Lion on usb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yet another fail.

This time I inserted the usb drive into the front panel usb port. I formatted the drive with two partitions. The first named USB was assigned 8 gb and the other simply named empty box was given the rest. I downloaded another copy of unibeast for lion 1.70. I created a new user account on this machine (which is running 10.6.8) and logged in.

With the drive formatted as requested and unibeast on the desktop, I ran unibeast per standard instructions.

Still fails after I input my admin password. Yes I did make the new user account an administrator.

None of the firewall is turned on and there's no other password protection or other security protocols running that I'm aware of.

So, yet another fail.

This time I inserted the usb drive into the front panel usb port. I formatted the drive with two partitions. The first named USB was assigned 8 gb and the other simply named empty box was given the rest. I downloaded another copy of unibeast for lion 1.70. I created a new user account on this machine (which is running 10.6.8) and logged in.

With the drive formatted as requested and unibeast on the desktop, I ran unibeast per standard instructions.

Still fails after I input my admin password. Yes I did make the new user account an administrator.

None of the firewall is turned on and there's no other password protection or other security protocols running that I'm aware of.

Try copying the Install Lion app to another USB drive for safety, then delete it from the app folder.
Go to the app store and download Lion install app again. Then try with UniBeast again

I'm having the same trouble. I will try the last suggestion.

Is it possible to pre-check and verify that the system (in my case a 2008 10.6.8 macbook) is ready to download lion and use unibeast to create an usb installer?

I also have the following issues that are troubling me:

1. How do I find all copies of the lion app install file? I want to insure a fresh download.
[Different users on the macbook have been used to login to the app store and download lion.]

2. How do I check what version of the lion install application is downloaded from the app store?
[As I understand it, the most current updates to lion are provided in the downloaded file.]

3. How can I use the console to monitor progress and/or gather error data?
[I've had the problem where the unibeast install hangs for >30 minutes, and more often, where it just fails.]

I'm hopeful this is not already solved somewhere on the forum, but I've searched and not found an answer.

OK I redid everything from the start - repartitioned the USB drive for an initial bootable 8GB partition. Then I ensured I was only using USB 2 ports (which I had been doing all along). A strange thing then happened. In step 15. 'Select Destination', the text above the selection area had changed from 'Select the disk where you want to install the Unibeast software' to 'Select the disk where you want to install the Unibeast OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive Software'......so I thought I must be doing something right :)
After clicking continue there were still only the two options to tick (legacy USB and laptop support) but I clicked on 'continue' and the installer appeared to be installing OK. A message came up soon after about a successful install.....
I rebooted from the USB drive I had installed to, a few seconds later the grey screen with the Apple logo...followed by a blank screen and nothing else.
Two things come to mind either a) the Thumb Drive software didn't install after all or b) I need to take out my graphics card, install using the onboard graphics and then replace the Ati Radeon graphics card?
Am I even on the right track? Thankg again!
Conrad.

I'm having the same trouble. I will try the last suggestion.

Is it possible to pre-check and verify that the system (in my case a 2008 10.6.8 macbook) is ready to download lion and use unibeast to create an usb installer?

I also have the following issues that are troubling me:

1. How do I find all copies of the lion app install file? I want to insure a fresh download.
[Different users on the macbook have been used to login to the app store and download lion.]

I learned this -

a. Show all files. Using a Terminal command, you can work with all the files on your machine from the Finder. Open Terminal, type this command, and press Enter:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

b. In finder, hit Command + F, and configure options there to search entire computer.

Try copying the Install Lion app to another USB drive for safety, then delete it from the app folder.
Go to the app store and download Lion install app again. Then try with UniBeast again

I did as you asked. Downloaded a new copy of Lion, no problems there. I also downloaded a new copy of unibeast, ran it, and fail.

Two things come to mind either a) the Thumb Drive software didn't install after all or b) I need to take out my graphics card, install using the onboard graphics and then replace the Ati Radeon graphics card?
Am I even on the right track? Thankg again!
Conrad.

For a) - look at the contents of the UniBeast USB in finder - it should look like this:
UniBeast ML.png
For b) yes, install with internal HD3000 and add ATI gfx kexts from MultiBeast before instaling fx card.

I did as you asked. Downloaded a new copy of Lion, no problems there. I also downloaded a new copy of unibeast, ran it, and fail.

Then the only other thing I can think might be the problem is the USB drive itself. Do you have another 8Gb or larger USB drive you can use?

Using this guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html
I've been trying to load Lion onto my usb drive using unibeast for lion 1.7

I get to step 16, but unibeast doesn't offer the option to check "Mac App Store "Install Mac OS X Lion" App".

It just offers "Legacy USB Support" or "Laptop Support" to check.

I then continue without checking either. I enter my password. It says it's preparing the disk and then gives an error page "The Installation Failed."

I have not been able to get beyond this point. On multiple occasions.

I have a 16 gb usb drive that was formatted according to the directions. I've also tried formatting the usb drive using guid partition. No go. The Install Mac OSX Lion packaged is sitting in the Applications folder.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Same here, sitting on a Macbook Unibody anno 2010 with latest 10.7 and unibeast 1.7.0

Installer just FAILS tried two different unibeast (1.6.0) and (1.7.0)
And downloaded Lion app two times

I too am having this issue. I have tried everything in this thread to get it to work, but still no joy. I would love to try anything else you can think of. Is there a log file I can upload to help with troubleshooting? The installation process takes less than a minute.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 12.32.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 12.32.17 PM.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back