Graphics
GEForce 9500GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I hope this is the right place for this, please forgive me if not. Also, thanks to everyone for such a great resource!

This is the system I'm using is just my Windows desktop I already had:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0)
PCU: Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo)
SSD: Intel® SSD 320 Series (80GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

I first used the DSDT from this post:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/126147-my-p8h67m-pro-dsdt-s.html#post771347

The only settings that I did differently were that Multibeast was a newer version, the FakeSMC versions were newer, and I added in the Trim support. I could get it to boot with:

-v -x DSDT=null GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Since I have to use DSDT=null, that means that I don't need the DSDT that I used previously, right?

Thinking that, I re-did Multibeast using DSDTFree. I can still use the same flags to boot in. The GPU is recogonized in the system details, multiple monitors are working fine, but when I'm in Safari, there's a lot of flickering, especially in the 'Top Sites' and it runs very slowly when I open a new tab, etc. I read that can be from the -x flag, but I can't seem to get it to boot without that one. Oh, no sound, but I guess one problem at a time.

If I go for broke and only use -v only, or -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes it quickly stops at:

FakeSMCKeyStore: started
AppleKeyStore starting (BUILT: Jan 16 2014 20:19:00)

So I guess I still need the -x:

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Maybe I still need DSDT=null rather than -x:

-v DSDT=null GraphicsEnabler=Yes

SMC: successfully initialized
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleRIC (2.0) followed by a bunch of garbage
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IDACPIFamily(1.4) followed by a bunch of garbage.

A second try with the same thing got stuck on just SMC: successfully initialized

For the heck of it:

-v -x

I'm sorry for all the information, but I figured too much would be better than too little. :D It looks like if I could get around the

error that I get when only using
-v only, or -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes, that would be the best bet, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

There's a lot going on here but a couple points:

DSDT=null in your boot args says "don't load the DSDT.aml file"
-x in your boot args says "don't load drivers" or "boot in safe mode", so stuff like sound and ethernet would not work with -x

DSDTs are pretty specific and you don't want to guess about it. The DSDT you grabbed - is it for the EXACT same board with the EXACT same revision number and BIOS version? The wrong DSDT could cause all kinds of trouble. Since you can boot Windows - you might try using a DSDT extraction tool in Windows to extract your actual DSDT. Of course, the fail safe there is to boot Linux off a USB key and extract the DSDT that way. But if you extract your own DSDT you need to patch it for Mac OS X, hence the TonyMac DSDT database being so helpful.

The flickering you're seeing in Safari is almost certainly because it's not loading the graphics drivers for your board, but using generic drivers, although you mentioned that System Profiler is correctly identifying your card so not sure about that.

When you reinstalled DSDT-free did you wipe the drive you were installing to? Could leftover cruft have been left behind?

Newer versions of MultiBeast and FakeSMC shouldn't cause trouble as such. But I suppose a combination of new and old files could cause trouble.

My main advice is isolate isolate isolate. For now, disconnect the Windows drive and just have a single drive in the system that you want to install Mavericks to. Start up the machine off the Unibeast USB drive you created, use Disk Utility to wipe the drive, and start from scratch. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

Ah, I didn't realize that Multibeast was cumulative! I thought when I ran it the second time and told it DSDTFree, it overwrote the previous install where I specified one.

The DSDT was the for the exact board, but I'll double check the Revision. I began with trying to create one with MaciASL, but mine wasn't listed in any of the repositories that I loaded. Since it will load with DSDT=null, does that mean that my board actually doesn't need one? Should I do a clean install and use DSDTFree in Multibeast from the start this time?

If I do need one, I'll extract it the way you mentioned and find steps to patch it. That definitely seems like the most foolproof way.

I did strip it down to just the drive for OSX during the install, and added in the Windows one again later, after I'd booted into it. I'll start over again and see where it goes. The Windows drive is getting ready to record all of tonight's shows, so I probably won't be able to try until tomorrow. That's one thing that will hold me back from going Hackintosh fulltime, since we still need WMC7 for our DVR. I think I read that Windows Media Center won't work correctly in Parallels, but figured I'd play it around and see. I also need to look into EyeTv. But again, one thing at a time I guess.

Thanks a lot for your advice! :thumbup:

I have a problem with normal booting also. I can only boot with the -x safe mode. With that there a no sound and there is a flicker in safari. Everything else seems operational. My CPU is a 4670k with hd 4600 graphics my motherboard is a gigabyte z87n wifi I have a samsung SSD and 2 4GB sticks of ddr3 1600. When I booted for the first time into safe mode I made sure I chose the DSDT free options in multibeast, with the Realtek HDA892, and trim enabler for the SSD. There is no other graphics card besides the integrated graphics in the CPU. What do I have to do? This hackintosh should be working but it will not without -x nobody with my hardware has a solution that works for me I need advice or a definite solution. I will post a picture of the verbose boot without -x so everyone can see where it is hanging. I'm not afraid to use the vi editor and go digging into the unix file tree in this thing. But first I need someone to help me find a place to start digging if at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 621
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back