Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can not boot without USB - Working fine when usb is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
May need to "show all devices" first.

There is one critical step to remember when formatting your USB or other drives in Disk Utility. Always click View and then Show All Devices instead of leaving it at "Show Only Volumes"
show all devices.png

May need to "show all devices" first.

There is one critical step to remember when formatting your USB or other drives in Disk Utility. Always click View and then Show All Devices instead of leaving it at "Show Only Volumes"

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.29.00 AM.png

not in macOS, boot into recovery with your usb installer

EDIT:
REMOVE ALL OTHER HARD DRIVES
Yes , at the time of installation , first click Disk Utility and done that and then started installation

your image still shows 2 hard drives?

View attachment 540041
while erasing , I put "Rana macOS SSD " along with APFS and GUID .
I erased the physical hard drive name CT.....
I deleted a drive showing under the container then erased the whole physical drive named CT ...w which is the generic name

while erasing , I put "Rana macOS SSD " along with APFS and GUID .
I erased the physical hard drive name CT.....
I deleted a drive showing under the container then erased the whole physical drive named CT ...w which is the generic name
ok, then mount the efi partition on disk1s1

your image still shows 2 hard drives?

View attachment 540041
seeing this "your image still shows 2 hard drives?" , I went for another go from start . It turns out that as below ..
At first time , I partitioned it in two parts - one as GUID APFS and 2nd as ExFAT ..that might be the reason when I erased by SSD generic name nothing else I have against got disk2 .But when I mount boot drive named Rana macOS SSD using MountEFI , I got the EFI with IDENTIFIER as disk1s1 ..Please have a look

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.47.56 AM 2.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.48.42 AM 3.png

Last edited:
seeing this "your image still shows 2 hard drives?" , I went for another go from start . It turns out that as below ..
At first time , I partitioned it in two parts - one as GUID APFS and 2nd as ExFAT ..that might be the reason when I erased by SSD generic name nothing else I have against got disk2 .But when I mount boot drive named Rana macOS SSD using MountEFI , I got the EFI with IDENTIFIER as disk1s1 ..Please have a look

View attachment 540048View attachment 540049
Please note that boot drive's Identifier is disk2s5s1 but its EFI's identifier is disk1s1

At first time , I partitioned it in two parts - one as GUID APFS and 2nd as ExFAT ..
which is why i said to have just one partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back