Contribute
Register

Can I use LVDS/eDP to drive macOS?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, also the Thunderbolt-„Video“ uses internally also the Displayport signal. But it‘s embeded with the Thunderbolt-Protocol. So, your idea to go directly to the panel would be the best way.

I will definitelly follow this Thread, because I‘m thinking about a 4k panel upgrade for one of the Thunderbolt-Displays. ;)

Yes, also the Thunderbolt-„Video“ uses internally also the Displayport signal. But it‘s embeded with the Thunderbolt-Protocol. So, your idea to go directly to the panel would be the best way.

I will definitelly follow this Thread, because I‘m thinking about a 4k panel upgrade for one of the Thunderbolt-Displays. ;)
I appreciate your input!, adapter is arriving tomorrow or Wednesday and will try on my M1 MBA. I’d like to try through Thunderbolt/USB C on the H110MSTX as well to see if that works, before moving on to dismantling the Thunderbolt Display and trying the 40-pin eDP connection. Need to buy some suckers to pull out the glass front!.

Need to buy some suckers
These are the best...

1656949689186.png

Oh, I guess you meant suction cups. :)

This guy just uses his fingernails instead of suction cups.

This guy just uses his fingernails instead of suction cups.

I have repaired three of these monitors and used this very video as a guide to repair a failed backlight. I replaced the entire led strips as they had failed and not just the connector. GET and use the suction cups. The glass is fragile, yet obviously doable. Don’t touch the glass of the actual display. Fingerprints are so hard to clean. Have a flat surface available with a lint free towel to place it face down. This will prevent dust from the room from landing on the actual display
Honestly, if you can adapt your cable to talk thunderbolt. 2, use that and don’t open the display. If that’s not an option then be very very careful. Keep track of the screws. They are different lengths in certain spots!!!

Looking forward to each New post

I have repaired three of these monitors and used this very video as a guide to repair a failed backlight. I replaced the entire led strips as they had failed and not just the connector. GET and use the suction cups. The glass is fragile, yet obviously doable. Don’t touch the glass of the actual display. Fingerprints are so hard to clean. Have a flat surface available with a lint free towel to place it face down. This will prevent dust from the room from landing on the actual display
Honestly, if you can adapt your cable to talk thunderbolt. 2, use that and don’t open the display. If that’s not an option then be very very careful. Keep track of the screws. They are different lengths in certain spots!!!

Looking forward to each New post
I don’t take care of my nails the way more effeminate people do, they’re kind of bitten and short and wouldn’t be much use. Suckers are the answer, a visit to Micro Center will be in order this week. Thanks for the advice BGG!.

Keep track of the screws. They are different lengths in certain spots!!!
The guy in the video had no system to organize the removed screws. Have no idea how he knew which ones go where for the re-assembly.

The guy in the video had no system to organize the removed screws. Have no idea how he knew which ones go where for the re-assembly.
I like to use empty egg boxes for organizing screws, I have two filled with screws and bolts from taking apart two G5's. The guy in the video must of dome it so many times, he has it in his memory where each screw goes. I'm going to take my time dismantling it, photograph everything and record the process in this thread to help others.

Last edited:
With the right adapters it works as 10 years ago with the MacBook Pro. Same picture quality and same elegance . :)

View attachment 550634

I just noticed this adapter connected to your MacBook Pro, is that MagSafe to Thunderbolt?. I haven't seen that adapter before, is that in charge mode?. Amazed to see your perfectly white Mighty Mouse, does the scroll ball still work properly?.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 5.42.09 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back