Contribute
Register

Can I use LVDS/eDP to drive macOS?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the center are the Display panel backlight power selector (3 pin BLKT_PWR_SEL) set to 12V (default) LVDS. And display panel VCC power selector (VCC_PWR_SEL) is 3V (default).

5F3E9CF0-5D8B-4DC0-A240-D0D0A40DC638.jpeg

What about using one of these adapters to make using a standard HDMI input display of 1440p or more possible ?
Have to be shipped from China and are quite expensive. Hard to tell whether it will work or not. Some risk involved.

View attachment 550177
View attachment 550179
View attachment 550180

I just read up on the link you posted, I'm really tempted by this!.

Last edited:
Reading about Apple's 27" Thunderbolt Display A1407 LCD 2560 X 1440.

After some GoogleFu 'Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display A1407 parts', I came across the following, a 40 pin eDP cable.

View attachment 550297
I will be following this with interest. I have a spare Apple thunderbolt 27" monitor I bought for parts (I think I can repair the power supply). I also have a Dell AIO 9010 motherboard, and I'd be curious to cobble together a working system if you prove successful!

I will be following this with interest. I have a spare Apple thunderbolt 27" monitor I bought for parts (I think I can repair the power supply). I also have a Dell AIO 9010 motherboard, and I'd be curious to cobble together a working system if you prove successful!
Thanks BGG, I think the Thunderbolt Display is a risk worth taking, even if I can’t get it it to work via eDP. Isn’t there an impossible to reach thunderbolt port on the logic board?

Thanks BGG, I think the Thunderbolt Display is a risk worth taking, even if I can’t get it it to work via eDP. Isn’t there an impossible to reach thunderbolt port on the logic board?
The thunderbolt port is not that bad to get too, however if using a standard cable, you will need to trim the plastic around the connector to be thin enough to fit. Otherwise, it is a standard port.
LogicBoard2.jpeg

ok, I was lead to believe it was more difficult!. Ive just secured one from Craigslist for $100, good condition and boxed, picking it up after 5pm today.

Hi @Feartech, I have some questions about EFI setup for essentially a laptop eDP connection. One thing I'm unsure of, is the eDP socket already on?, Do I need to enable LVDS, (which shares the same port) in BIOS to enable eDP?.
Which parts of my config need to change to allow this to work?.

Hi @Feartech, I have some questions about EFI setup for essentially a laptop eDP connection. One thing I'm unsure of, is the eDP socket already on?, Do I need to enable LVDS, (which shares the same port) in BIOS to enable eDP?.
Which parts of my config need to change to allow this to work?.
if it is connected, then it should be on if it is like a laptop

you may need to setup the connector types in your config.plist

@atl285, hi, wondered if we could bring USB C / Thunderbolt 3 discussion here. I’ve just noticed this, see post #1 1st picture.

00 04 00 00 — Display Port — USB-C display-out are DP internally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back