Contribute
Register

Can I resurrect my 2012 GA-Z68XP-UD3 - Core i7 2600k - HD6870 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Back in 2012, I built a Hackintosh using GA-Z68XP-UD3, Core i7 2600k, 32 GB RAM and HD6870, and successfully installed 10.6.8.

Around 2016, it stopped booting (and I don't know why), so I wiped the drive and installed Windows 7, as I had no Win machine.

Last year, I updated the MB to UEFI and would now like to re-build this system into a triple boot (Win 10, another 10.6.8 for some legacy SW, and the most recent Mac OS this MB will support).

Problem is, I don't know the UEFI settings that will allow for ANY Mac OS install whatsoever, and the boot-up does not recognize a iBoot CD (should I even be using iBoot?) burned for Mac or Windows or ISO 9660 or a USB stick formatted as OS Extended, MS-DOS or ExFAT.

All I get is a "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message and I don't know how to troubleshoot. Computer and CD/DVD drives work fine in Windows, and USB ports all connect to USB media.

Anybody else resurrect this or a similar system config? Any ideas what to do next? TYIA!

Guitarjim,

You can try my build here designed for Z68 boards > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asus-p8z68-vpro-core-i5-i2500-nvidia-gtx-1060.250985/

I used Clover and have the system setup to run High Sierra.

Technically Z68 can run Big Sur and Monterey using Opencore, but I haven't gotten round to doing that yet.

For the UEFI settings, you could perhaps refer to this link here > https://github.com/DavidGoldman/ASUS-P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3-Hackintosh
Thank you, Middleman. I will give it a shot right now.

Well, many of the ASUS UEFI BIOS settings seem vastly different from the Gigabyte ones. I used those I could figure out, but nothing has changed; it still will not get past the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.

Well, many of the ASUS UEFI BIOS settings seem vastly different from the Gigabyte ones. I used those I could figure out, but nothing has changed; it still will not get past the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.
Ok, then try and have a look at the settings I used for my older Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH which should be similar:

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z77x-up5-th-install-issues.71839/#post-512725

If you still have issues booting, make sure your SSD/USB stick has been formatted using GUID partition. The SSD however needs to be formatted using APFS for anything newer than High Sierra.

You should also check out Mickelsn's build here for settings booting with Catalina > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-my-ga-z77x-up5-th-system-to-catalina.287173/

Ok, then try and have a look at the settings I used for my older Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH which should be similar:

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z77x-up5-th-install-issues.71839/#post-512725

If you still have issues booting, make sure your SSD/USB stick has been formatted using GUID partition. The SSD however needs to be formatted using APFS for anything newer than High Sierra.

You should also check out Mickelsn's build here for settings booting with Catalina > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-my-ga-z77x-up5-th-system-to-catalina.287173/
Thank you again. I'll take a look at both. And, yes—SSD/USB formatting is correct; just can't get past the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message, whether using USB, SSD or SATA hot plug socket built into top. But again, Windows boots and runs fine.

Are you installing Clover in Legacy mode?

I have to use Clover legacy mode with my Sandy Bridge hack, i.e. when it comes to customising the Clover installation do not select the top option in the Customise list.

Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 01.47.09.png

The two options highlighted in Red in the screenshot above are necessary for a legacy installation of Clover.

If you select the 'Clover for UEFI booting only' option your system won't see the boot file and won't load Clover.

Are you installing Clover in Legacy mode?

I have to use Clover legacy mode with my Sandy Bridge hack, i.e. when it comes to customising the Clover installation do not select the top option in the Customise list.

View attachment 530451

The two options highlighted in Red in the screenshot above are necessary for a legacy installation of Clover.

If you select the 'Clover for UEFI booting only' option your system won't see the boot file and won't load Clover.
Thank you, Edhawk, but unless I am doing something TOTALLY out of order, I never even get that far—I'm stuck trying to get the computer to do anything after powering on and setting the boot drive!

I burned an iboot.iso CD and inserted it into one CD/DVD drive. I enter setup and—after loading optimized settings, I make as many of Middleman's suggested changes (his MB is an ASUS, and many of the UEFI BIOS settings on his are either non-existent on mine or I am too inexperienced to figure out what the equivalents are on mine), then selected that CD/DVD drive as the boot drive. I then press F12 for the boot menu and again select the correct CD/DVD drive and tell it to boot. All I get is the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Device and press a key." message.

I realize this MB is old, and I've not found much in the way of info on exactly what settings in the UEFI setup need to be adjusted on this MB. Maybe it's time for a new MB.

I'm stuck trying to get the computer to do anything after powering on and setting the boot drive!

I burned an iboot.iso CD and inserted it into one CD/DVD drive. I enter setup and—after loading optimized settings, I make as many of Middleman's suggested changes (his MB is an ASUS, and many of the UEFI BIOS settings on his are either non-existent on mine or I am too inexperienced to figure out what the equivalents are on mine), then selected that CD/DVD drive as the boot drive. I then press F12 for the boot menu and again select the correct CD/DVD drive and tell it to boot. All I get is the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media
If you upgraded this MB BIOS to UEFI, you'll have to set it for legacy booting to use iBoot CD method. UEFI will not work for that.

If you upgraded this MB BIOS to UEFI, you'll have to set it for legacy booting to use iBoot CD method. UEFI will not work for that.
It is set for Legacy booting, with UEFI booting not selected.

Attachments

• 20211008_143136.jpg
    20211008_143136.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • 20211008_143344.jpg
    20211008_143344.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back