Contribute
Register

Buying CustoMac Pro build - Please Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I am planning to build a "CustoMac Pro". I am mostly following the advice on the website but I would like to know if any of you see any errors with this setup.

I am experienced in both software and hardware but I haven't looked at hardware in a very long time and I want to try to make the process as smooth as possible. If I need to change something to make it more smooth, I would do it... So please, let me know your suggestions.

This is what I am planning to buy:

1) Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
2) Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXRG
3) Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Z97 Dual Thunderbolt 2 ATX Motherboard
4) Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE1T0BW
5) EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2765-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2765-KR
6) TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket
7) Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams
8) Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060010-WW)
9) 2 Cable Matters Gold Plated DVI-D Dual Link Cable with Ferrites 15 Feet

I also have a few questions that may be some of you can answer:

Q1) I am planning to connect two DELL 2713H 2560x1440 monitors. This monitors come with Display Port connectors. Can I connect the display ports of each monitor to the Thunderbolt 2 connectors that come from the motherboard and use the connected EVGA GeForce GTX760. Or do I need to connect directly to the video card with dual link cables?

Q2) Di U need to buy the Dual Band Wireless or can I use just the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 network port?

Q3) Is all this compatible? Does it all work? What does not work? I am planning to install Yosemite OSX.

Q4) Am I missing something?

Thank you very much in advance!

I'm just looking into building the same system, so can't offer any advice but please let me know how you get on, really interested how the I7 will perform with Logic instead of a dual Xeon CPU system, especially in a Hackintosh.

I'm just looking into building the same system, so can't offer any advice but please let me know how you get on, really interested how the I7 will perform with Logic instead of a dual Xeon CPU system, especially in a Hackintosh.

I am going to buy the components in about 1 month when I go to US. I don't live there. If you end up buying before me let me know. Otherwise, I'll post results here.

I am thinking on changing the video card to a similar one but Gigabyte instead so that it is of the same brand as the motherboard. May be that's better...

And in terms of this video card I'll wait and see if they can make the GTX 980 work well in the next weeks. May be I replace it for that one if its not too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back