Contribute
Register

Buying Advice for May - will there be big changes to April?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm new to this Forum, so first things first: Hi :)

Since my 2008 MBP gets older and older, i am planning on building my first Hackintosh.
I would stick to the configuration of the CustoMac Mini-Deluxe.
Looking through the older Buying Advices, i saw that most components stayed pretty much the same for the last couple of months.
Do you guys think there will be some significant changes in the Episode for May? Or is there any new Intel CPU generation upcoming that is worth waiting for? What do you guys think of this Setup for a dual boot configuration - OSX for producing Music with Ableton/Logic, and Windows for Gaming? I'd choose the i7 and the GTX 760.
Does the user experience on a Hackintosh differ much from the real-Mac one (After shooting all troubles of course)? Does the performance of the Hardware suffer under Windows due to the dual boot/BIOS configuration?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
D. :)

I'm new to this Forum, so first things first: Hi :)

Hello and welcome to TMX,

Do you guys think there will be some significant changes in the Episode for May?

The May Buyers guide is likely to be very similar - there could be a wider range of GPU options added but it might take a little longer to implement. New hardware need to be properly confirmed working before it is recommended.

Or is there any new Intel CPU generation upcoming that is worth waiting for?

Minor changes are unlikely to include any i7 desktop processors for a while. Apple is only refreshing the mobile devices at present.

What do you guys think of this Setup for a dual boot configuration - OSX for producing Music with Ableton/Logic, and Windows for Gaming? I'd choose the i7 and the GTX 760.

Looks good - see multi booting and music sections of the forum for more information:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php

Does the user experience on a Hackintosh differ much from the real-Mac one (After shooting all troubles of course)? Does the performance of the Hardware suffer under Windows due to the dual boot/BIOS configuration?

There is zero problems in a dual boot system (when it is done correctly) and most of the time there is no change in how you use PC Mac from one bought direct from an Apple store. One thing you must be more careful about is when you do the incremental OS updates in OS X. It is vital to be more careful with these updates. Follow the information on this site for doing these updates.

A good habit in computing is to back up all info - this is especially true if you make your living from your computer. When using OS X on PC hardware I would add that it is proper working practice to have a cloned copy of your main installation on a separate SSD that you can use to test software update on before risking your main installation. Problems mainly occur at the worst possible time - if you have all the backup bases covered you can prevent problems from occurring or recover in seconds rather than days or weeks.

Its all pretty boring common sense really:thumbup:

Adrian B

Thank you for the extensive answer!
This would be it for now, i will search for the best shops to get my stuff and come back (hopefully) on my shiny new Hackintosh :)
Greets
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back