Contribute
Register

Buying a Dedicated GPU for your Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma Hackintosh

Sounds more like a motherboard PCIe slot issue, than an issue with the dGPU or having too many displays connected. Easiest way to see if it is the PCIE slot is to move the dGPU to another x16 or x8 slot and see if the issue persists.

I have had issues with heavy dGPU’s causing similar disconnect issues to the PCIe x16 slot. Supporting the dGPU is the simplest way to fix or avoid this issue. Where an alternative PCIE slot wasn’t available I had to retire the motherboard or just use it with the IGPU.

I had a similar problem under Windows, artifacts then reboot. But then I was messing with undervolting. After setting the silent BIOS and resetting to factory settings, the problem never appeared.

As someone said, try to reflash a known good vBIOS. Mining mods aren’t really good for normal use.

Probably too many monitors. The card has a lot to do. Try disconnecting 3 of them and see if it overheats. For me, on a 4K monitor, the card is also warmer than on FHD.
However, I have silent BIOS and 2 fans set instead of the original cooling.

Card is working fine, Had to buy a Graphics Card Support bracket if I don't it will start artifacting, It's GPU Sag that is causing the problem. These Graphics card are too heavy due to the heatsink and metal backplate. I've ordered a replacement card new old stock RX580 8GB.

Card is working fine, Had to buy a Graphics Card Support bracket if I don't it will start artifacting, It's GPU Sag that is causing the problem. These Graphics card are too heavy due to the heatsink and metal backplate. I've ordered a replacement card new old stock RX580 8GB.
Excellent choice: my Sapphire Pulse RX580 is a really good dGPU, even if it's an older tech.

Excellent choice: my Sapphire Pulse RX580 is a really good dGPU, even if it's an older tech.

Yeah shouldn't have no problems with iMac 19,1. Had to get it imported from the US to UK as no stock in the UK. Was looking at the 6600 but had a problem with Stock and when you did find stock they want stupid price for it.

Just thought I'd mention it to I did look at the VBIOS on the card and it has the stock one, but I did flash the card with the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

I did try the x8 slot on this motherboard and the card was worst without support the card. I tested an old Z77 motherboard problem still occurred without the PCI-E Support Arm.

@VioletDragon
I have a SAPPHIRE RADEON RX 570 NITRO+, over 3 years old. It hangs slightly crooked, but it doesn't cause problems. I was considering the RX 6600 XT, but decided against it. Just too many restrictions. PCI x8, 128 bits.

@Mark Quark Do you have any idea of the difference in performance between the RX570 (April 2017) and the RX6600 (Oct 2021) GPU?

I wouldn't get hung up on the fact the older card uses the full capabilities of the x16 slot and the newer RX6600 card only uses x8. The newer card is a huge improvement over the RX570 in terms of graphics processing.

Below is a section of a chart from TechPowerUp, which shows the relative performance difference between these two cards.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 23.06.44.png
The RX6600 has twice the relative performance of your old RX570.

This is also borne out in GeekBench Metal results. See the table of Metal scores for these two and other GPU's.

I am sure you could make use of that increase in performance, in any work processes, gaming or other graphics related tasks you undertake.

Especially as some RX6600 cards are now available for less than £200 (in the UK) from the likes of online retailers.

For anyone that needs the highest end graphics performance for a relatively modest amount of money:

Last edited:
For those who are planning to get an AMD Navi 21 card (RX6800/6900XT) it’s interesting to note that Moore’s Law Is Dead has recently said he expects the line to not be replenished by the GPU makers when current supplies of them run out.

Back